F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 245 (Idalia) , Major: 245 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 245 (Idalia) Major: 245 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50357 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:14 AM

I think people are focusing too much on every little whim and wobble. Just lean back from the screen and look at the overall motion of the system, it's STILL towards the WSW, ever so slightly. The motion is probably 265 or 270, and it's easily seen in the fact that the storm is still losing latitude. 5PM was at 24.8 and the 8PM put it at 24.7. I would love to see a northerly component to Katrina, but I don't see it yet. The more south and west it moves, the more under the gun we become here in New Orleans. Too many close calls here, I'm just hoping it's not our turn. It's amazing how many people here didn't even know there was a hurricane in the Gulf. It scares me to think that we might have to start an evacuation tomorrow that gives less than 36 hours before conditions begin to deteriate.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Hugh]
      #50358 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:14 AM

The old guy is Nash Roberts. He rightfully retired to peace and quiet after the passing of his wife. He was an icon albeit overrated at times.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and clear a few things up. Don't track centers with long range radar. The apparent move "NNW" that was being debated on S2K and CFHC was only on the long range radar and apparently had something to do with the angle of the antenna. It was clear via recon vortex fixes and short range radar that Katrina was still moving south of due west. As of the 8pm advisory, she's further south still (yet I haven't checked the reported "dive" that some commented on).

Everything's cool here. I got my wife and kids a hotel in Jackson, MS for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to cancel that tomorrow if my dad is able to hook up with his older sister in Alexandria and head up there as well. I plan on staying (as usual). No telling what Katrina's going to do now that she's continuing to move slowly west of south. I agree with all previous posters that said anyone from Panama City to Brownsville need to still be on alert with a possible concentration of Morgan City, LA to Pensacola. I've got a 12 pack and a big ole bag of ice for the next couple of days. If things continue to look pessimistic (and I hear the early 00Z guidance is even farther west), then I'll probably be heading to the store tomorrow for plenty more. I might grab me some Stoli's or something since Katrina is a Ruskie name and it would be apropos, but I don't like it that cheap most of the time.

Anyway, I'm just watching and waiting for the next set of models, views and such while chainsmoking.

One last thing as I mentioned elsewhere - if Bastardi and Stewart are correct, the Gulf Coast is facing its greatest threat since Camille. Think about that for a minute. JB thinks 910-920 isn't out of the question and that a true catastrophe is possible. Of course we all know Joe gets hyper over severe threats so hopefully he's overplaying it. But combined with Stewart's call for a potential 4 in the 5pm NHC Discussion, well we all need to stop and pause about that.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
starting to intensify again? [Re: wxman007]
      #50359 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:16 AM

Looks like the convection that wrapped around the NW quadrant has persisted and the western eyewall is looking better (worse). The center which had looked ragged, now looks to be more symetrical and tighter. It's hard to tell with only an hour's worth of shots, but it looks to be moving almost due west.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50360 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:16 AM

Another site with historical charts
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/
It does seem rare for a storm to move SW in the gulf.. here are a few others that have.
1941 storm 2
1947 storm 4
1983 Dean

just off the top of my head.... try isidore 2002 and anita 1977. both were quite strong. bess 1978 and brenda 1973 also. larry 2003. it happens, man. by the way, dean was off the mid atlantic. how'd that get on there? anyway, does this make anybody think i've studied historical tracks a bit too much? -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:43 AM)

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Katie]
      #50361 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:17 AM

Well, finally got my power back since losing it around 4:30pm yesterday and was just catching up on all the posts that I missed. There was about 4 hours of strong winds here with a peak gust reported at Port Everglades (about a mile from my house) of 92MPH, which I believe was recorded on the back-side of the cane. A lot of people down here seemed to be caught off guard on the strength of the storm as it went through, especially Miami-Dade county, even though it was still just a Cat 1 storm. There's a lot of tree damage mostly, but I lost a lot of shingles also, and there's a few dangling traffic lights near my house.
The biggest problem down here is the 1 million people still with out power, and the lack of gasoline. The only station near my house that had gas had a line 15-20 cars deep. And all this from a Cat 1 storm, I really feel for the people on the Gulf coast that will feel the brunt of Katrina when she hits as a possible Cat 3 or maybe even Cat 4 .
Stay safe everyone!!

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Steve]
      #50362 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:20 AM

Well, if what i was getting from Accuweather was the 0Z runs on the NHC suite, Katie bar the door! Looks like La is the target zone. If that is the case, better gas up the cars this weekend, becuase the oil speculators are going to freak out on Monday morning oil trading. Kind of scary. Almost reminds me of the docudrama "Oil Storm" that was on one of the cable channels earlier this year.

I just hope she does not turn into a monster. I know the Florida pnahandle does not need another hit. Niether does anyone else.

--------------------
Jim

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: FlaRebel]
      #50363 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

Hugh, I'm in Tallahassee, so I ain't wishcasting. I'd really like Jason or Clark to give their opinion on this.

My feelings have been blown out of the water today.

I have zero confidence in any model solution at this point...I am currently going old school and doing more diagnostic than model interp right now, trying to get a handle on these model vacillations. This is a TOUGH forecast. I am not ready to commit to anything more narrowed down thatn Apalachicola to Grand Isle at this point. Sorry...but this is a real problem to forecast.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Steve]
      #50364 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:23 AM

[quote
One last thing as I mentioned elsewhere - if Bastardi and Stewart are correct, the Gulf Coast is facing its greatest threat since Camille. Think about that for a minute. JB thinks 910-920 isn't out of the question and that a true catastrophe is possible. Of course we all know Joe gets hyper over severe threats so hopefully he's overplaying it. But combined with Stewart's call for a potential 4 in the 5pm NHC Discussion, well we all need to stop and pause about that.
Steve

Absolutely right, Steve. There appears to be no possibility (okay, ANYTHING is possible) that Katrina will weaken before landfall as Opal, Ivan, and Dennis did. Take into account the potential landfall location, and it could really be devastating. With it moving SO slowly... 910 may be very realistic, or even optimistic.

It's going to be a very long weekend for everyone along the Gulf Coast... watching and waiting.. and I have a bad feeling that Katrina may decide to change directions multiple times between now and eventual landfall.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50365 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:24 AM

Well I can't remember a storm that moved west this slowly, this far before...the modelling can't possibly forcast something it hasn't seen before...

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: wxman007]
      #50367 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:26 AM

Quote:

My feelings have been blown out of the water today.
I have zero confidence in any model solution at this point...I am currently going old school and doing more diagnostic than model interp right now, trying to get a handle on these model vacillations. This is a TOUGH forecast. I am not ready to commit to anything more narrowed down thatn Apalachicola to Grand Isle at this point. Sorry...but this is a real problem to forecast.

Can we take it from that comment that you are ready to commit to narrowing it down to between Apalachicola and Grand Isle? That would be well east of the latest model guidance I believe. I doubt that you meant that, but just checking

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #50368 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:28 AM

Understandable conumdrum, Jason. Has not been a well behaved storm by the models. Once it starts picking up forward speed, should have a better indication. However, the current situation is a hairpuller for EOC's. I would not be surprised if there has to be a mass evacuation call of a number of areas just to be safe since once Katrina starts kicking it in gear, it may be too late tto make the call.

--------------------
Jim

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #50369 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:29 AM

Quote:

Can we take it from that comment that you are ready to commit to narrowing it down to between Apalachicola and Grand Isle? That would be well east of the latest model guidance I believe. I doubt that you meant that, but just checking

I meant to say Phoenix instead of Grand Isle...LOL

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Rasvar]
      #50370 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:31 AM

In my neverending quest for a historical precedent... I began to think Betsy was the perfect analogy, although the southern motion was on the east side of Florida. The storm still ended up in the vicinity of where it is now and well, we all know where it went.... However, Betsy turns out not to be the best match.... damn, TWC is talking about Betsy... my analogy was first.... Anyway, even better...

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at194704.asp

1947, unnamed, almost identical path. Not a good outcome.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #50371 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I meant to say Phoenix instead of Grand Isle...LOL

Uh... I'm ready to narrow it down better than that! I can say with 100% certainty that I believe Katrina will make landfall somewhere between Cosumel, MX, north and west to Brownville, TX, and north and east to Key West Florida. There, mark it down folks. That's where she's going! If she goes anywhere, I mean...

(be a little careful here - with a storm like this, comedy doesn't get too appreciated right now)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 27 2005 02:31 AM)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Rasvar]
      #50372 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:32 AM

With all the models clustered basically in SE LA attm I don't know how the NHC can't move the forecast track in that general direction at 11pm.... and if there's consistancy with the runs over night (and that's a big IF) I think you will see one hell of an evacuation out of SE LA starting tomorrow morning... of course all this is subject to change and probably will but if it doesn't then NO might just be looking at that really big one

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #50373 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:33 AM

I believe they will move the track more west again with the 11pm update.Many got this storm wrong but the models have done better then those who had it going up the west coast of florida today.At least the models comeback and try again

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
      #50374 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:34 AM Attachment (214 downloads)

And I was so happy when the NHC pointed to Apalachicola right off the bat, since we all know the forecasts shift so much!
On St. George Island, we got swept over during Dennis....
The attachment is a photo of my "street"....

--------------------
hang on!

Edited by belleami (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:35 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Psyber]
      #50375 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:34 AM

The eye is starting to show up on IR. Go click the radar overlay and you can see the orange area within the red matches up with the eye.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

From that loop you can throw on the NHC track overlay, and it is clear that the system is now south of the projected path.

I'm watching the banding to the north starting to join up with the storm itself. It is starting to take on a very symetric appearence. This isn't good news since it means the system is becoming better defined and potentially more powerful.

--RC

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina's Forecast Track Shifts West, Northern Gulf Needs to Watch [Re: Terra]
      #50376 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:34 AM

Quote:

1947, unnamed, almost identical path. Not a good outcome.

Sorry, but that path is in no way similar to Katrina's. The 1947 storm moved south to the east of Florida, not to the west. And, it was weaker.
1947 was a high end category 4 when it hit se florida. it was a cat 3 when it hit louisiana. there's a remote similarity, but '47 was trucking... Katrina has been crawling. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Aug 27 2005 01:51 AM)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #50377 - Sat Aug 27 2005 01:37 AM

and if it goes even farther west the track would sorta be like Andrew, except of course Andrew was so much more powerful when going thru Fl... and perhaps Katrina might be more powerful than Andrew while pummeling LA.... (if it goes west of NO)

I wonder where in Lousiana is Phoenix is located???? west of Morgan City .... hehe.... thanks for narrowing it down so tight Jason... funny

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 266307

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center