F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: jr928]
      #51084 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:39 AM

it's SOUTH of Florida still. If it turns N or even NNW, it hits Florida. And it's also possible it COULD swing a bit NNE. History means something.

It's more likely that it will end up between Biloxi and the AL/FL line, though.. in which case, Pensacola is in for a rough time of it again. Someone kept mentioning that it keeps looking like Gulf Shores again... and I'm not sure I disagree.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51085 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:39 AM

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

edited to the most recent models runs on the site~danielw

those are the tighest i have seen any runs yet.

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 28 2005 03:56 AM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: VG]
      #51086 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:39 AM

I really dont think those are safe remarks for the people evacuating from La. and Ms. WishCasting this late in the game could effect peoples oppinions of this monster. Could very well put people in danger that look to this site for guidance anf info. Please folks read the disclaimer at the bottom after reading the remarks of amateur weather casters. Stick with the facts. Do what the local law enforcement tells you to do and keep you eyes on the NHC updates.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: New Orleans Prepares for Katrina [Re: Colleen A.]
      #51090 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:42 AM

"If you wake up tomorrow morning and noticing it starting to get breezier, you'll know."

That's what frightens me. It appears to be slowly but surely creeping toward the coast. People in the Panhandle MIGHT wake up and face a dreadful situation - in the path of a cat 4/5 hurricane and insufficient time to evacuate. I don't expect it to move that fast but I didn't expect it to turn east of the forecast track, either.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 28 2005 03:59 AM)

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Disaster Master]
      #51091 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:42 AM

boy , I agree. the trough that turned Ivan was showing storms firing up ahead and running north well out into the gulf and the water vapor shows this occuring but well back into texas and not moving much ahead. Current track looks stable.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: jr928]
      #51092 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:43 AM

I am really concerned about Katrina's size and current movement. Katrina looks a lot like Ivan did in size and she could be stronger! Ivan was scary enough. I am very concerned. With the size of the wind field on this thing, EVERYONE in that cone should be ready!! Time to be ready!!

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
History [Re: jr928]
      #51094 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:44 AM

Since History was brought up. I relocated a link to the Hurricane Camille Bulletins.
I'm not saying Katrina could be similar to Camille.
It's just that Camille was forecast into NW FL and the warnings weren't extended into Biloxi until 6 AM the morning before she made landfall.
That's 16 hours Notice!

If a HURRICANE WATCH or WARNING is posted for the coast near you.
Please pay Very Close attention to all Advisories on Katrina. NHC track models are tightly cluster on the MS/LA area right now.
That could, but probably won't,change.

Here's the link to the Camille Bulletins. Notice the signatures at the bottoms of the Bulletins. Names like (Robert)Simpson, the late (John)Hope, and(Neil) Frank to name a few of the more prominant ones.
The Bulletins are in jpeg format.

ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/storm_archives/atlantic/prelimat/atl1969/camille/

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: ralphfl]
      #51096 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:46 AM

ralphfl, those are plots from 6z this morning. The 0z NAM is a bit east now, making landfall on the AL/FL border. Like what dismaster said, stay with the NHC until they tell you differently. I also think we will have Lee before the weekends over. 90L is heading almost due west, and the Leewards and Puerto Rico may have to deal with this one in the coming days.....then possibly the SE US Coast since the western Atlantic ridge should build back with the depa.ting Katrina.

I have corrected Ralph's link to the 00Z runs.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 28 2005 04:00 AM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Hugh]
      #51097 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:46 AM

Quote:

it's SOUTH of Florida still. If it turns N or even NNW, it hits Florida. And it's also possible it COULD swing a bit NNE. History means something.

It's more likely that it will end up between Biloxi and the AL/FL line, though.. in which case, Pensacola is in for a rough time of it again. Someone kept mentioning that it keeps looking like Gulf Shores again... and I'm not sure I disagree.

The other poster beat me to it.These models [http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png (SORRY WRONG LINK are tight and no a little more then we do.To say it will more likely end up well east of where the experts AND the models say is not a good thing when you are talking about lives in LA who might say we are ok then get hit with a 150mph cane.

The reason i get so upset with people saying stuff like that is last year people on these sites said Its coming to tampa better evac now when charlie came.....Now when they posted that on here some people with no clue got scared and left a safe location in tampa for a spot in Orlando where they were killed.

Its about lives.

-- edit -- 2 folks lost their life in Orlando from Charlie and neither of the two were folks who evacuated from another area.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Aug 28 2005 04:04 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: ralphfl]
      #51098 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:47 AM

EDIT: Ralph updated his link - so the first part no longer is needed.

Also, SSD is now clearly showing an eye on IR.

--RC

{ Oh yeah, and I sleep now! }

Edited by Random Chaos (Sun Aug 28 2005 03:50 AM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Disaster Master]
      #51099 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:48 AM

I don't consider his to comments to be wishcastiong of any kind. He is giving an informed opinion. Truthfully, I see the logic in his comments and have concerns about the warning areas not being large enough. Granted there is still a little bit of extra time for the pnahandle; but not that much. Anyone from LA to Florida should follow evacuation instructions from officials. I would consider his comments as more of a heads up to panhandle residents to not let their guard down. The storm did rid on the eastern edge of the guidence on the last few hours. i would rather over warn then underwarn in a situation like this.

EDIT- I am assuming you were refereing to VG's comments.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Sun Aug 28 2005 03:50 AM)

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Rasvar]
      #51101 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:50 AM

We now have an eye on Katrina....TWC just confirmed the pressure is down to 936 mb.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: bn765]
      #51103 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:52 AM

And wave heights up to 36ft. WoW

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: SirCane]
      #51104 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:53 AM

Been waiting to see this for two days.

On the 3:15Z sat image (visual, ir, and water vapor), Katrina for the first time has come together and looks like a Cat 4, and also has the strong buzzsaw signature.

Even the image just before this one did not have this appearance. This image dates from 10:15 CDT so this is what the NHC was seeing at the time they put out discussion 19 that we had not seen yet.

Can one of the mods post this image?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Margie]
      #51105 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:57 AM

NHC Recon Vortex Statement (my notes in italic):

URNT12 KNHC 280338
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 28/03:26:30Z
B. 24 deg 59 min N
086 deg 23 min W
C. 700 mb 2558 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 119 deg 114 kt
G. 023 deg 020 nm
H. 936 mb
I. 12 C/ 3052 m
J. 19 C/ 3048 m
K. 15 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C30 this means a 30 NM circular eye
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF300 1512A Katrina OB 13
MAX FL WIND 114 KT NE QUAD 03:20:40 Z
LIGHTNING OBSERVED BRIEFLY IN NE EYEWALL

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #51106 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:58 AM

Guys and gals, she's exactly on the NHC forecast track. Rignt up the middle. Don't count some wobbles and ignore the others!

Look at the link....

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/vortex.html

Right up the middle guys and gals. The graphic doesn't lie.

The track - thus far - is verifying.

BEWARE THIS STORM; you do not have to be "on the line" to get hurt or killed by it!

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #51107 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:58 AM

Also 1 saving grace with this storm which is just my opinion from reading what some of the discussions have been saying lead me to think this may reach its peak before it hits and i still say a cat 3 when it hits due to shear before landfall which is in the NHC forcast.....Just my gut feeling that this will fade out some before it hits.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Warning Up Morgan City, LA to FL/Alabama Border [Re: Rasvar]
      #51108 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:58 AM

No wishcasting at all. Why would I wish a category 5 (potential) hurricane on myself!?!?

I am simply saying that it is too soon to declare anywhere safe. But to say that the models are accurate is, well, putting too much faith in computers. I'm a software engineer. The computer models are initiated with data that is 6 hours old at times, which is what leads them to sometimes flip-flop. Plus, well, no computer is perfect. Every storm I can think of has moved somewhat off of the forecast track.

Does that mean that people in N.O. should rela\x? HECK NO! It means that NO ONE should relax!!!

--------------------
Hugh

WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #51109 - Sun Aug 28 2005 03:59 AM

I've believed since this early this afternoon that she was going to turn more northward. I don't know what the Google track is being plotted from, but extrapolating from its last four or five plot points, Katrina will have to make a decided westerly turn now to follow the models to N'awleans. Google's "projected" path is still going there, but it will require a significant "left" deviation from the last few path markers.

Whither Whether

gavsie
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole Fl
      #51110 - Sun Aug 28 2005 04:00 AM

Thanks, I am in no way wish casting it my way. I like storms just not big ones. I was just watching the troff and thought at her current rate she may do something unexpected... not at all unheard of. I certianly hope the good people of the panhandle do not see another storm, there may no longer be a panhandle. Katrina seems to be a hard storm to forecast. I expected to have felt the effects on friday and today. I guess it will just be a wait and see thing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65456

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center