F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51830 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:17 AM

New vortex message is out and its right on the projected path:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/vortex.html

Right up the middle..... Pressure up 4mb though..... that's good news....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51831 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:19 AM

Information if you know of evacuees on the road. The florida Dept of Hwys. is shutting down thw I-10 bridge in Pensacola, the same one that washed away in Ivan. Those heading east need to exit at FL exit 5, US 90 and follow it Approx 15 miles to Avalon Blvd South in Santa Rosa County, between Pace and Milton, then back to I 10. We have lost power 3 times here in Gulf Breeze thus far. Boy am I glad I have a lantern.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Recon Info [Re: Genesis]
      #51834 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:24 AM

I thought that when Geraldo had on the Major that he DID say the pressure was up to 908mb. It was hard to hear him but this would correspond with the new recon data.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Lisa NC]
      #51835 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:28 AM

Quote:

My thinking is it doing ERC.

Which is exactly what the Recon pilot said would be a saving grace for N.O. Let's hope that this happens. Anything, anything that helps to weaken this storm will be a blessing.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Recon Info [Re: Colleen A.]
      #51836 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:28 AM

Tornado warning now for Souther n New Orleans.

WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Genesis]
      #51837 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:29 AM

Quote:

Pressure up 4mb though..... that's good news....

The new National Hurricane Center discussion says: "RECENT MICROWAVE PASSES SHOW THAT AN OUTER EYEWALL IS IN THE FORMATIVE STAGES" (Caps in original).

Could that account for the rise in mb--after which it could drop again?

It is good that it's gone up, but it's still in a rarified range.

I'll also quote this quote of note from the NHC discussion: "KATRINA IS STILL EXPECTED TO BE OF AT LEAST CATEGORY FOUR INTENSITY WHEN IT REACHES THE COAST" (Caps in original, bold added).

WhitherWeather

Edited by WhitherWeather (Mon Aug 29 2005 03:29 AM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Is she strenghtening again [Re: LI Phil]
      #51838 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:30 AM

Quote:

ya'll might as well say it...hell...i'm done with any more edits tonight...post away about gas prices...

Assuming you mean that, I will try to say again what was deleted earlier, not because it's about gas PRICES but because it's about gas AVAILABILITY and may make what is a local disaster, however awful, into a national one. 30% of US gasoline is refined in the 12 or so refineries in the path of this storm. Also in the storm's path are 500,000 barrels per day of production and the only US oil terminal capable of offloading the largest oil tankers. The Mayor of New Orleans has said this is potentially a catastrophe for the country, not just for his city.

I personally love New Orleans. I go there every winter if I can and I really love it. I've also travelled all through the Mississippi and Alabama Gulf coast and while I don't want to see any of it destroyed, for the sake of the nation and the national economy, we will all be better off if the storm veers somewhat east and spares the oil industry in southern Louisiana. That's a fact.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Colleen A.]
      #51839 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:32 AM

Quote:

Which is exactly what the Recon pilot said would be a saving grace for N.O. Let's hope that this happens. Anything, anything that helps to weaken this storm will be a blessing.

Unfortunately not. There is still time for the storm to have an ERC and come in strengthening, or regardless of if it doesn't strengthen the overall windfield will increase due to the ERC. It's a moot point anyways. I know we want to find solace in the little victories, but 5 or 4 it does not matter. New Orleans would be much better served by a jog to the NE than weakening to a four.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Mon Aug 29 2005 03:33 AM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: WhitherWeather]
      #51840 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pressure up 4mb though..... that's good news....

The new National Hurricane Center discussion says: "RECENT MICROWAVE PASSES SHOW THAT AN OUTER EYEWALL IS IN THE FORMATIVE STAGES" (Caps in original).

Could that account for the rise in mb--after which it could drop again?

It is good that it's gone up, but it's still in a rarified range.

I'll also quote this quote of note from the NHC discussion: "KATRINA IS STILL EXPECTED TO BE OF AT LEAST CATEGORY FOUR INTENSITY WHEN IT REACHES THE COAST" (Caps in original, bold added).

WhitherWeather

They said thi is exactly whats happening..

They also said it has enough water to re-intenisfy and for the pressure to drop.

I wouldnt read too much into this

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: nate77]
      #51841 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:36 AM

It also slowed down, which means re-intensifing is likely

I hear one guy say the water temps on the coast is warm, another says there is a patch of colder water on the coast.

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #51842 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:37 AM

What time is projected landfall?

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #51843 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:37 AM

Oh, I didn't read much into it, just that I suspect the folks over in NO will take every millibar they can get right now, and the more of them they get, the better it is.

With that said, I don't know that a 4 or 5 makes much difference, as has been noted. The flooding potential here is huge - does it really matter if your house is reduced to matchsticks or just the roof comes off if its filled with 15' of water?! I don't think so!

Puig

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Fl.
      #51844 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:37 AM

I saw a MET on Fox news (Accuweather) where he was claiming that the winds in NO wont exceed 120 to 125mph. He says the worst of the storm will pass NO to the east. The MET actually wanted to be on the record to state the above. Did anyone else hear this as well? Seems like a hopeful prediction to me.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
      #51845 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:38 AM

I just doesn't have the appearance on satellite that it is undergoing an ERC... I mean, I hope it does, but I hope it does in such a timely fashion that it landfalls during the weakening stage and doesn't have the opportunity to restrengthen.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
being realistic.. [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #51846 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:38 AM

and looking at the loops.....there isn't really any real hope for New Orleans....the post by Big Red, I think...of a kick right..is their only hope....if you look at the path...the right side of the eyewall will pass over New Orleans.....it HAS to start kicking north and North East...or....what we all knew could happen...

is happening....

20,000 dead....maybe more
I hope that your decimal points were omitted!~danielw

Edited by danielw (Mon Aug 29 2005 03:54 AM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Terra]
      #51847 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:41 AM

Terra, I hope this si right too, but what scares me is the sudden decrease in forward speed from 13 to 10 MPH. This could really help intensify it.

120-125 MPH is still deadly and can cause extensive damage.. Im worried about sea surge in NO.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: I think the nhc has it pegged perfect [Re: ralphfl]
      #51849 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:42 AM

I believe the big difference if it goes east of NO vs west has to do with the city's topography. Lake Pontchartrain being NORTH of the city, if it goes east of town, the winds will be from the north and drive the lake waters (and waves) into the levees, possibly over them, and into the city. If it were to go west of NO, the winds would be southerly and drive the lake water away from NO. Much of the damage and loss of life is likely to be from flooding and a passage west of NO could significantly diminish it.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Hurricane force winds [Re: jr928]
      #51851 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:42 AM

are probably now hitting this station.
gusts 80-90mph

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=burl1&unit=E&tz=STN

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane force winds [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51853 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:45 AM

Quick question...

WWLTV is goinf off the air at midnight and a station in Baton Rogue will pick up coverage.. Will it be aired?

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: could be no one wants to believe this [Re: Puig]
      #51854 - Mon Aug 29 2005 03:45 AM

Yes, Puig, I heard it however my attention was most focused on his other prediction of substantial flooding in the city of NO in spite of his more easterly track.

By the way, I have been wondering through all this why I have yet to hear anyone (here or on TV) talk about the Bay St. Louis/Pass Christian area. They are so lovely and if Accuweather is correct, I think they could take the worst hit of all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 69314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center