F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Bring out yer dead (sorry) [Re: native]
      #52190 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:28 PM

Geraldo harped on this a few times last night.

I haven't heard anything current reported, but I'm sure it'll be brought up at some point if it's an issue.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Thunder]
      #52191 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

My mother-in-law lives on the harbor on Holiday Isle in Destin..... She had to evac. yesterday, I wonder how the place is fairing...

The road in there is closed beyond Sandpiper. Holiday Isle gets hosed bad by these storms - every time. I expect damage similar to Dennis, and perhaps significantly worse, as there is little protection from the waves over there.

I doubt I will be able to get in there to get pictures, but might be able to get some idea from the bridge, if I can get over it (98 is washed out on Okaloosa Island; no report on whether it just got flooded or was damaged again yet)

More when I know......

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: WeatherNut]
      #52192 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:29 PM

What I'd really like to know is who told Jim Cantore that that building is 27 ft above sea level?? Here is the link to the AFRH in Gulfport, it doesnt reference elevation, but mentions that it fronts the Gulf, Ive been through Gulfport and along its beaches, I dont recall seeing anything along the beach where the ground could be 27 ft high, perhaps I'll cross reference a topo map

http://www.afrh.gov/DWP/afrh/gulfport/afrhhistory.htm

Jax Chris
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: native]
      #52193 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

Warning: this is not meant to alarm or be graphic but....I don't know why I just now thought of this but, we all know that in NO their deceased are not buried underground but above in mausoleums or something like that. Is this true of anywhere else being affected? I would think that the flooding coupled with this could create a whole different type of "catastrophe", possibly contamination issues. Has anyone heard of or have any news stations mentioned this? I would think that it may be of concern to the citizens/volunteers/workers who will ultimately be in the remnants of the storm waters helping to rescue/restore/rebuild. ?

Yes, this has been mentioned in an Associated Press story, New Orleans Facing Environmental Disaster (http://www.wral.com/news/4908732/detail.html) In part:
Quote:

As Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans on Monday, experts said it could turn one of America's most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city's legendary cemeteries.

Jax Chris

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52194 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:30 PM

One thing to keep in mind: if Jim Cantore's building is 27 feet above sea level and there is 10 feet of water in that building, that does not mean there was a 37-foot surge. That might be true, but it is not necessarily so.

As with any strong storm (including Andrew down here), sometimes areas experience deeper flood waters than the amount of surge which affected that area. (And contrarily, some areas experience shallower floods than the amount of surge which affected the area.) Several factors account for this, among them the terrain, both natural and man-made. For example, water can be "funneled" through both natural and man-made channels. If fixed structures - buildings, walls, hills, etc. - are in the surge area, some of the surge may be forced around the fixed structures and result in more water being forced into a smaller area, resulting in higher water levels in those smaller areas.

And of course, add to that rainwater, spillover from rivers, etc., and water levels can be even higher.

So given the right conditions, even with a surge of 8 or 10 feet, people on the second floor of a building at sea level could find themselves under a couple feet of water.

So the fact that Jim Cantore experienced those conditions suggests that the surge may have been higher than 22 feet, but to the extent that is the basis for the 37-foot number, I would wait for confirmation from NHC. Or perhaps DM has gotten that confirmation; I just don't know, and wouldn't base the conclusion on Jim Cantore's, or any one person's, observations.

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
      #52195 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:32 PM

Hi Ya'll, been in the middle of a whole lot of wind and rain. Our lights just came back on even though we are still experiencing 40mph wind gust and heavy rains. We got more wind than we expected and lost lots of limbs and some shingles, so in the scheme of things we were truly blessed compared to others in the area. It is amazing to hear that people in Alabama were experiencing similar weather. About an hour ago we had our hardest winds, gusting to 79 mph. That is when we began losing the shingles. We are hearing the reports out of NO and continue to pray for them all. Has anyone heard anything about Buras and Grand Isle where landfall was? We have not heard anything about them down there! Everyone still in the path of this powerful, large and dangerous, stay safe! Just the little bit we got makes me think about what others in the path around the eye must be experiencing! We continue to pray for them. Kimmie

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, La
      #52196 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Warning: this is not meant to alarm or be graphic but....I don't know why I just now thought of this but, we all know that in NO their deceased are not buried underground but above in mausoleums or something like that. Is this true of anywhere else being affected? I would think that the flooding coupled with this could create a whole different type of "catastrophe", possibly contamination issues. Has anyone heard of or have any news stations mentioned this? I would think that it may be of concern to the citizens/volunteers/workers who will ultimately be in the remnants of the storm waters helping to rescue/restore/rebuild. ?

TWC talked about this with one of their Special Reports called Vunerable Cities.

The article states:

Quote:

The stories date back to the early 18th Century, when the French first settled the city, according to Robert Florence, an author who has spent years studying New Orleans' cemeteries. Being below sea level, the city has a high water table, so families cannot bury their loved ones underground following funerals.

New Orleans residents first began above-ground burials in the late 18th Century, Florence said. "The first burial ground in the city was along the banks of the river on the top of the levee, which is the highest most well drained land," he said.

The first levees built in the city in 1718 were only three feet tall, according to the Orleans Levee District.

Florence added, "So, what you can only imagine happening is that they're burying on the levee, you've got flood levels coming over the banks of the river. You've got floating caskets that are pushed up above the ground. And you can only imagine. These levees sloped down into the city. If there was enough water, you could have caskets floating through the streets of the city."

After experiencing this enough times, residents decided to do something about it, according to Florence. The solution was to begin burying loved ones in tombs above ground.

Florence said, "The settlers here were familiar with the French, Spanish, etceteras - this Mediterranean custom of above ground burial, and they started to introduce those forms."

Today, the city owns seven cemeteries that house such tombs, but there are many others in which caskets have been buried underground.

Engineering now allows underground burial in the sub-sea level city, and floating caskets are a thing of the past. "That no longer really never happens in New Orleans because the land has been drained since the turn of the century. A system of water pumps... drains water out from under the city 24 hours a day."

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: garrison]
      #52197 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:40 PM

For what it's worth here's the relevant topographical map for where Jim Cantore was reporting, assuming its accurate, I dont how he could have been at 27'

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3...mp;layer=DRG100

Larry
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Margie]
      #52198 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:41 PM

Margie,

This link has information from Mississippi. No information on your brother's sub station, but it confirms the loss of the gym roof at St. Martin High School. Please hold out hope for your brother -he sounds very brave and resourceful. Your brother and all those in danger are in our prayers.
Town-by-town roundup

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Larry]
      #52199 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:47 PM

Katrina made landfall a little further west than Camille, the larger size of the eye probably allowed for the surge to be higher in Gulfport.

this will be very interesting to compare over the next few months. I hope too many people didn't get caught off guard by the surge and evacuated.

Plot of camille and Katrina

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Larry]
      #52200 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:48 PM

Larry thank you very much.

See I know they didn't make it because if they would have gotten to this other building he would have called again and said so.

I'll go ahead and bookmark that link, thanks again.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #52201 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Larry thank you very much.

See I know they didn't make it because if they would have gotten to this other building he would have called again and said so.

I'll go ahead and bookmark that link, thanks again.

Margie, the cell towers could be down. It's way to early to give up hope. Our prayers are with you, your brother, and your families.

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52202 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:56 PM

Margie:

You wrote that your brother called you via cell phone before. Even though his cell phone worked for that one call, it may not work again for a while, possibly hours or days, and it may not work in specific areas during or after the storm. So I would not lose hope based on the fact he hasn't called you again; even in much weaker storms, cell coverage becomes very spotty. (If you need an example, here in Miami cell coverage still isn't 100% after our brush with a very minimal cat 1 version of Katrina, and I only got a few calls out to family - despite hours of trying - in the first 2 days after the storm.)

I certainly wouldn't give up hope, particularly based on the fact you haven't gotten another call.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #52203 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:56 PM

These are the major points of this storm as I see it.

WX Factors:
The storm lost its structure starting late last night. The perfect symmetry seen all day gave out and the Southwest and West sides of the storm lost considerable strength. The East side of the storm appears to have held it's strength for the most part. The turn to the north about 15 miles east of where forecast in addition to the weakening of the west side of the storm spared probably a 50 mile or greater swath to the west of the eyewall the catastrophic damange they had expected (city of NO included)
Meanwhile the East side of the storm appears to have arrived as advertised with massive storm surge flooding probably from the MS/LA border to Mobile and beyond. The weakening was too little too late to do much to reduce the surge much on that side as far as I can tell.

Damage Factors:

1. The major fear, huge catastrophe in NO never materialized, in a very general view I think we can all be relieved. The talk yesterday was a direct hit from cat 5 in the city making in uninhabitable for months, 10's of thousands dead, toxic soup covering the city. Hundreds of thousands stranded with no food/water/dry land. Major failure of the superdome with 30k people inside and so on. This clearly did not happen on a widespread level. This is the good news. This is not to minimize the damage that did occur in NO, I'm sure it's been fatal and locally catastrophic. but not close to realizing the fears of "the big one".
http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf?/washingaway/thebigone_1.html

2. Like a few people have said, the "We're OK" from NO doesn't speak for other localities. The storm surge will likely have destroyed a huge amount of property and some loss of life. The giant wind field likely caused an unusually large area of minor to moderate damage. I think as the picture clears up the media focus will turn to the huge geographic area affected especially the area affected by surge. Hard to guess a $ value, but I'd guess top 5 of all time is practically a given.

WiscoWx

Reged:
Loc: Madison, WI
      #52204 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:59 PM

I'm not familiar with Gulfport and wouldn't have figured this location (the Armed Forces Retirement Home) Map of AFRH-Gulfport to be 27 feet above sea-level. However, that is what this statement AFRH-Gulfport Statement asserts, so Cantore was just relating what he had been told by officials.

Prayers are with all those affected by Katrina. Let's hope that as the storm passes and things become more clear that the good surprises will be more numerous than the bad ones.

zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
      #52205 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:00 PM

Garrison,
Click on 1:250K series and then use the large map size. You'll see that Kessler is at 26 feet and Gulfport Airport is at 28 feet. It is very possible that JC was at 27 above.

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: WiscoWx]
      #52206 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:02 PM

Listened to press conference given by NO and state officials. Apparently in NO they had at least 100 911 calls that they were unable to respond to, and will not be able to check on people until it is safe for crews to get out and about.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #52207 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:05 PM

Jim Cantore seems to be totally unaware of elevation in general. He stated on the Charley anniversary show that all of Charlotte County was below 10'
KPGD is at 25' http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPGD
My house in Port Charlotte is 16'

No idea where he gets his 'facts' from.

His likely erroneous reports today are scaring the hell out of people.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: bobbutts]
      #52208 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

No idea where he gets his 'facts' from.

His likely erroneous reports today are scaring the hell out of people.

See above, his 27 foot statement is accurate for the AFRH in Gulfport.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #52209 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:09 PM

try text messaging if you have it. sometimes it works when the call portion doesn't. that what we used during Ivan.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65506

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center