F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52292 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:04 AM

indeed the Red Cross is faced with it's largest mobilization ever. already hundreds of volunteers from across the country and paid staff are deployed and mobilized to the impacted areas. I'm heading there myself as a second wave to relieve the first ARC teams. I'm waiting for my assignments and dates.

The relief effort will last many weeks. Food, shelter, water and a shoulder to rest on are all provided by the Red Cross and all is provided by donated dollars. The recovery effort will doubtless last much longer....years in fact. The Red Cross will be there for that too. All the while we're monitoring and watching for the next one. Especially here, on the east coast of florida. The ARC won hearts here last season with our double hit. Now of course, the double hit seems insignificant.

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: LI Phil]
      #52293 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:07 AM

Just a few updates for those who have friends who evacuated..many of the images on TV of flooded neighborhoods are not on the east side of New Orleans..one of the worst places hit was Metarie, west of the city...virtually the whole area was flooded..as for those wishing to get back, police and national guard have shut down both US90 and I10 going into Mississippi at the AL/MS border until further notice....the interstate is not passable in MISS....and I hope the floating house above is not Felix Fish House on the Mobile Causeway, my favorite restaurant over there

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: LI Phil]
      #52294 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:09 AM Attachment (378 downloads)

Looks like a commercial structure to me - a store of some kind. The front facade is definitely not residential, unless its 2-story and part of a larger unit of townhouses or something that broke free!

This is truly horiffic - here's a shot out my back door, at about 6:00 this evening. In Niceville, on the bay. That's roughly 200 nm east, 10 miles inland and 6 hours post-storm-peak, albiet with a ~4 mile fetch.

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #52295 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:22 AM

Damage is looking worse than thought in New Orleans. Mississippi got the brunt of it hard and bad. I feel for Mobile too. Here in Central Missouri, I know of a couple Power Crews on the way to Missippi to help out. Thank God it wasnt a Cat. 5 with the eye to the west of New Orleans.

Sportsfreak1989s

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, Louisiana
      #52296 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:27 AM

Well we just now heard from our family in Grand Bay, Alabama (about 20 miles south of Mobile, about 6 miles from the coast line)... First off, half of my grandpa's barn's roof is gone/ "disappeared". My grandma and grandpa's shed has exploded. It litterally exploded due to their water pipe being under their shed. My uncle's "shop" is almost gone. My aunt, who did have a stroke 3 days after Dennis, her roof on her house is off in patches. My other Unlce's roof is gone, as in you can see the sky all through their house. My cousin's mobile home in Bayou La Batre is under water; the only thing viewable on it is the very tip of her roof. Well as for me in Lafayette Louisiana, I have had a few tree branches down in my yard and basketball goals blown down but thats about it. But thankfully they are fine, and hopefully many many more people are also fine.

The video all over TV has been making me sick to my stomach lately. Just seeing all these helpless people's homes under water, demolished to the ground, etc. is making me sick.

I hope and pray that every single one of ya'll are safe and are also fine. I am deeply praying that people ranging from New Iberia, Louisiana all the way to Panama City, Florida if not further are also safe.

Has anyone else heard from their family that have been effected by this storm? If so I hope they are fine.

God Bless All, and I would like to thank this wonderful site on the constant updates and keeping me informed so well about this monsterous hurricane. Thanks and God Bless ALL....

-Andy

--------------------
Impossible Is Nothing

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Sheeper]
      #52297 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:30 AM

Historical peak of Atlantic HS is still 1/2 month away. (~Sept 12-13) Unfortunately, we'll probably be meeting like this at least a few more times this year.

Bear in mind that History repeats, even recent events such as we're currently suffering from can come back down the pike in a very short time. South Florida and the Gulf Coast have not earned a free pass for the rest of the decade or even the balance of 2005.

Buckle up Kids; for the next 15-25 Years

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
katrina out, 13 out?, 91 in? [Re: pcola]
      #52298 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:30 AM

katrina is inland, approaching the columbus/starkville area as a diminishing tropical storm. there's still some wind damage going on, and probably localized flooding from rains. the tornado threat over tennessee and kentucky tomorrow should keep some people on their toes, but Katrina seems to be mostly over.
daylight assessments tomorrow are not going to be pretty. new orleans got off a hundred times better than i'd expected.. had the eye moved ten or fifteen miles to the west or the storm passed by as a 5, the city would be a loss right now. looks like a rough equivalent of what the city got from betsy, as far as the extent of flooding and wind damage.
areas that we haven't heard a great deal from that are probably much worse off are the delta towns and the mississippi coast. the small towns in the delta.. buras, pilottown, empire, venice.. are probably in shambles. i'd expect that numerous structures were obliterated by surge and extreme winds.. the hurricane was still a solid cat 4 when it crossed that location... with a pressure near 920mb. nearby offshore oil rigs are likely to have been damaged as well.
the landfall on the mississippi coast happened with the hurricane at around 930mb. pressure more directly dictates surge than wind speed, so the surges as expected approached or even exceeded 20 ft near and to the east of bay st louis. pass christian, gulfport, biloxi, and ocean springs i'd expect to have significant surge damage, and extensive wind damage as well. if people stayed behind in the low lying areas nearby they are likely dead. pascagoula over to mobile had significant tidal surge damage and light to moderate structural damage as well, i'd expect. inland towns like picayune and poplarville should have extensive wind damage... probably a modest amount further north around laurel and hattiesburg. slidell, covington, and bogalusa louisiana should have had a similar experience.
for the future, TD 13 troughed out today. a sizable convective burst on the southern end has persisted and may redevelop, as it was showing a near-closed or closed circulation on visible earlier and has a 1.5 t-rating. whether it redevelops or not its future is the north atlantic. old 97L's remnant circulation is approaching disturbed weather to the west, but is likely too far gone. a small, sheared low level turning well east of florida is moving east and in this general direction as well. there is no strong model support for any of these features.
91L transferred emphasis to a racing ITCZ burst/turning near 10/30. this system is moving too quickly to develop in the short term, but may slowly organize as it trucks west. several global models move this system wnw into the central atlantic and develop it... GFS traps it south of bermuda in the long range.
a pattern pulse behind Katrina as a large high settles in out of canada is shown on some of the globals to develop a low off the east coast on its wake trough. euro has more of a gulf feature that migrates west. cyclogenesis is favored in this general region late in the week/weekend timeframe, so am looking for model consistency.
there's a large african wave coming off tomorrow as well. globals showing waves tracking west, but not as gung-ho about development as in recent times. prospects of getting lee during august not terribly high with the demise of TD 13.
HF 0130z30august

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 30 2005 01:57 AM)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #52299 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:31 AM Attachment (193 downloads)

Quote:

Can anyone explain this photo to me, it appears like a house floating in Mobile bay. Someone sent me this, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

I've attached a cropped version with the levels tweaked to promote contrast. I'd have to say that looks very much like a house...

Edited by tpratch (Tue Aug 30 2005 01:32 AM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
TSFH-2 [Re: tpratch]
      #52300 - Tue Aug 30 2005 01:37 AM

>>> Buckle up Kids

OK, ya'll owe me $200 for copywrite infringement...

you're right though...we're not even AT the peak of the season...and to think i was gonna use "TSFH2" as my 2005 catchphrase...

this is just awful and to think the season could actually get any worse really makes me sick to my stomach...

i was telling all my co-workers/parents/friends last friday that traditionally, every year, the three most vulnerable cities are NO, Miami & Hattaras, with NY/LI being up there...

god i hope and pray none of us anywhere gets another monster, but since Katrina will probably "set a few records" (in a bad way), maybe this will be "it" for the season...to think that this one storm could, at least monetarily, surpass the "big 4" from last year is truly frightening....and sickening.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: LI Phil]
      #52302 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:06 AM

Here is a video clip of a coast guard helecopter rescue of someone stranded on their rooftop...

Video link

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: LI Phil]
      #52303 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:11 AM

KATRINA--
May you be it for the season. Amen.....

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: collegemom]
      #52306 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:17 AM

ps here in Arkie land we understand 17,785 with no elec in LA and over 20K without in MS. We sent whats left of our National Guard. Goodnite and Godbless.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #52307 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:20 AM

to answer a question from last page....why Gulf storms peak then weaken.

I'll go with the "too much fuel" or "too high of an octane" theory. There is too much warm/hot water that Gulf that hurricanes floor the gas peddle and deepen very rapidly but they reach a point of critical mass (or strength) and then implode (for lack of a better term) due to "mechanical" breakdown from over-reving the engine.

It was obvious that Katrina was in a perfect environment for becoming a 175mph Cat 5 yesterday (and you just had that feeling she was going to do something big) but it then after spinning like a perfect top, she suddenly got the wobbles (first) which (then) allowed the dry air to take a big bite out of her strength.

Note that Camille landed as a Cat 5 because she had such a short life, starting just South of Cuba and did not over-rev her engine (for too long). I'll even presume based on pressures and winds that Camille never had an ERC.

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #52308 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:27 AM

One thing to remember with the insurance estimates are those are estimates EXCLUDING damage caused by flooding. Private insurance industry does not calculate that into its cost. And from the aerial shots I've seen so far, it appears that there is a tremendous amount of flood damage. So, the total cost will be significantly higher.

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: collegemom]
      #52309 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:31 AM

Remeber also that the pumps keeping New Orleans dry when theres no hurricanes(that run 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year) are not running right now. The flooding is going up, hurricane or no hurricane....

Also, one more note:
Anyone needing 911 service in ordered evacuation areas should be charged some sort of fee. Up here, you call in/pull a false fire alarm, you get a $500 fine and are liable for any damage/deaths caused by the emergency services responding to your own stupidity...

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: MikeC]
      #52310 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:32 AM

Phil, What does this mean? "i was gonna use "TSFH2" as my 2005 catchphrase..."

I'll delete this after you reply...

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Edited by the ongoing active Atlantic multi-decadal signal (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:55 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Sportsfreak1989s]
      #52311 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:36 AM

News about Jackson County.

I haven't heard from my brother that I've been so worried about today, but after about 8 hours of assuming the worst, it dawned on me that logically that couldn't be the case.

His wife was working emergency management on the other side of the county, and if she had not been able to get hold of him then somebody would have checked it out around early evening, as soon as the winds got lower and they could get a boat over to the other side of the county. And if something bad had happened I reasoned she would have found a way to notify somebody in the family. So he must be ok, since we haven't heard anything this evening.

I don't know how I got so upset that I didn't think about this in the first place.

Now the 2nd brother, the one no one ever hears from, we now find out that he evacuated to Mobile with his wife at the last minute and they stayed with someone they knew, and then came back to Jackson County as soon as driving was possible (probably using that back road that you can take to the airport in Mobile that only the locals know about, along the pecan grove and those oddball cotton fields). He was able to call out by cell phone and called brother #4 in TX.

His house up in the county doesn't flood (around Helena I think), although he had trees down.

He then went sightseeing in his Durango, and to check out everyone else's house.

Apparently the water had started to recede as soon as the wind did.

My brother that I haven't heard from (brother #1), his house is still in four feet of water, but it had been almost totally underwater earlier in the day, so that shows that the water has already receeded at least six feet. This house is just south of Ingalls Ave.

The house that my mother and brother #3 live in, in Moss Point, is probably flooded as well, but they couldn't get to it because of all the roads there are still flooded too deep to drive an SUV through.

A lot of the county is still flooded, and that it was really bad, and the house we grew up in was standing in about four feet of water (Pinecrest area).

So pretty much everything south of Hwy 90 in Pascagoula did get serious flooding, as well as other places north of 90, if they were near a bayou or the estuary, and sounds like some of Moss Point. No news about the other side of the county (he couldn't get over there).

Plus I imagine all the places that always flood anyway, such as Bayou La Batre.

No one could get down close to Beach Blvd. There are some wonderful homes there including some that are more than 100 years old. But if there were waves with the flood, which I am sure there must have been, I can only assume that beautiful Beach Blvd is wiped out.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: TSFH-2 [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #52312 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:42 AM

Quote:

Phil, What does this mean? "i was gonna use "TSFH2" as my 2005 catchphrase..."

I'll delete this after you reply.

no need to delete...last year, about 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way into the season (before Ivan & jeanne, but after Charley and Frances) i dubbed 2004 "The Season From Hell (or TSFH for short)" . Somewhat jokingly, at the beginning of this season, i was thinking about a catchphrase for this year..."Buckle Up" for some reason came to mind, and i kept it...but i did strongly consider TSFH-2 and decided after last year, (1) how could this year be worse and (2) i'd prolly be in bad taste...i was wrong on both accounts

>>> Anyone needing 911 service in ordered evacuation areas should be charged some sort of fee. Up here, you call in/pull a false fire alarm, you get a $500 fine and are liable for any damage/deaths caused by the emergency services responding to your own stupidity...

i realize where you are coming from with a post like this...but in light of what just happened...realizing that many people COULDN'T (for whatever reason) or WOULDN'T evac...due to pets, sick relatives, whatever...well, you kind of sound like an (expletive not permitted)...you gotta be kidding me

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: CoalCracker]
      #52313 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:44 AM

This storm is going to tax all relief services to their limit. It is also going to be difficult for the insurance companies to get a good handle and settle the logistics on this one. It is going to be difficult for the aid organizations to get into these areas as fast as they usually do because of the widespread nature of the damage. Many of the main arteries have been severely crippled. This storm may not have had the winds of Andrew; but the scope of the destruction may very well be much worse because of how widespread it is.

--------------------
Jim

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
      #52314 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:47 AM

I am wondering if anyone has any news about 3 areas in particular that, it seems to me, are most at risk of catastrophic damage and loss of life (and coincidentally happen to have been wonderful places): Grande Isle LA, Pass Christian MS and Bay St. Louis MS. The news reports constantly refer to Biloxi, but these two MS locations were closer to the eye and the eye probably passed right over Grande Isle when at it's strongest on land. I fear they could have been nearly wiped out. Anyone know?

Edited by BTfromAZ (Tue Aug 30 2005 02:49 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center