F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Katrina Aftermath Continues
      #52607 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:53 PM

Are you Looking for information about a specfic area or have information tos hare, or have stories to tell about Katrina, please use the disaster forum.

Katrina is heading north toward the Northeast US over land, and is no longer being tracked by the hurricane center.

New Orleans is around 80% flooded, and since 91L isn't quite ready to form (although it may over the next few days) this thread will be a continuation post about general information about Katrina and it's imapacts as a storm.
Knowing what hurricanes can do to an area gives you a better idea how to pepare.

Please use the disaster forum for information about specific areas You do not have to register to post in the disaster forum.

Discussion about former TD#13 and 91L is allowed both here and in the storm forum.

Event Related Links
General Links
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Graphic showing elevations of New Orleans

Emergency Management/County info
Gulf Coast Storm Alert Network
FloridaDisaster.org - Florida Emergency Management
Mississippi Emer. Management
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org
Louisiana Emergency Management

Video/Audio Links
NOAA Weather Radio out of New Orleans
Hurricane City - Live Audio and Video
HurricaneTrack/Mark Sudduth HIRT Team

Television/Radio
WWL TV 4 (CBS Affiliate in New Orleans) - KHOU is streaming WWL TV as well HERE
ABC 26 TV (ABC Affiliate in New Orleans)
WDSU Channel 6 (NBC Affiliate New Orleans)
Fox 8 (New Orleans)
WTIX 690 News Radio
WWL 870 News Radio
WTOK 11 / Missippii Alabama ABC Affiliate -- Jason Kelly is assisting Operations Here <a href="mms://a1558.l1207832090.c12078.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1558/12078/v0001/reflector:32090" target="_blank">Video stream from here</a>
Hurricane Now - Video reports from former CNN hurrican reporter Jeff Flock
Weathervine.com
Joseph Johnston's Mobile Bay Webcam
WKRG 5 in Mobile/Pensacola
WPMI Channel 15 from Mobile

Other
NOLA - Everything New Orleans
South Mississippi Sun Herald
Al.com - everything Alabama - Katrina Photos
AP and Reuters Photos from Katrina areas (Continually updated)

-- Looking for more Video/Audio links for the approach areas, please let us know if you have any links/information!

Former TD#13

Animated model plots of Former TD#13

Invest 91L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: MikeC]
      #52613 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:27 PM

First of all let me begin by offering my sincere thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by Katrina, certainly was a monster storm - and indeed catastrophic to many areas.

Looks like we could see exTD13 reclassified tonight or wednesday. This has been showing signs of reorganisation the past few hours, with a well defined comma cloud pattern over the eastern semicircle. It is, fortunately, no threat to land, and stands a good chance of becoming Lee tomoro or Thursday.

91L also looks likely to become a classified system, probably Wednesday after visible imagery becomes avaialble. Still to early to call where this one will go, but indications are it will probably follow a somewhat similiar path to TD13 and its remnants.

Once again, keep safe!

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
quiet, but damage done [Re: Rich B]
      #52617 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:50 PM

katrina is undoubtedly the new landmark in american natural disasters. lets hope it stands alone for many years to come. we still have no sound estimates on the dead and how high the monetary cost will be. the economic repercussions will reach us shortly in significantly higher gas prices.. and subsequent added costs to consumer goods.
i can pretty much rehash last night's review, because not much has changed. former 13 is moving nnw into the open atlantic ahead of a large weakness in the western atlantic. invest 91L is being sheared by a sharp low latitude upper trough, that should induce a more poleward movement and put it on a similar track. it has a significant amount of shear to survive for the next day or so before it reaches a more favorable environment. neither of these have tremendous development chances, but either has modest potential. numerous globals showing the next wave developing. will have to be watched based on time of year and overland signature.
big stew in the western and central atlantic. former 97L is indistinct near 25/60 along a convective cluster. an LLC from one of the complexes near bermuda is spinning vigorously south of the island, but being sheared.
late in the week and into the weekend a large pattern-pulse type feature should be induced off the east coast and perhaps in the northern gulf. globals handle on this feature suggests it may not be a tropical feature. nevertheless it may potentially develop something close-in. models show a lot of shear, but may not be handling the circulation features well. there is a typhoon going west to taiwan, so that favors a resurgent ridge near the eastern u.s. via teleconnection... the other system appears okinawa or eventually japan bound. a similar response in the atlantic would support more landfall threats, but there don't appear to be any features in place to make the pattern connection.
rest of the week should be fairly quiet. the damage is done, however.
HF 2248z30august

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #52632 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:24 PM

Quote:

Knowing what hurricanes can do to an area gives you a better idea how to pepare.

Agreed. My wife thinks I'm a sick-o for watching all this hurricane coverage but living in South FL I know the next time it could be our family on top of our own roof waiting for the helicopters to come. After last years record number of landfalls we added new items to our "hurricane safe box" - mostly surgical type medical items (gloves, anti-bacterial creams, ect).

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

tashina
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: JMII]
      #52636 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:46 PM

Local TV is reporting that the 17th st levee fix has failed and to get this out to everyone ASAP in case anyone can reach relatives.The pump is being disabled. The East Bank of Jefferson Parish and Orleans Parish is expected to now flood to 3' above sea level - estimated 12'-15' of water.

Edit: They just corrected themselves- the 3' above sea level is correct. It should be 9' of flooding in the next 12-15 hours.

The feed I'm watching is:
http://www.khou.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_khou&props=livenoad

Edited by tashina (Tue Aug 30 2005 11:57 PM)

Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Davenport, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: tashina]
      #52637 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:51 PM

Amazing video here, now

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_khou&props=livenoad

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: tashina]
      #52638 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:53 PM

This just keeps getting worse and worse. Reports of 60,000 in the Superdome they need to get out, people on their roof all over town, people trapped in waist-deep toxic waters, and with the water continuing to rise, it's going to be very, very difficult to get all of these people out. The entire region is under martial law and if things keep getting worse, the predictions of allowing people back in next week to get some things aren't even going to be able to hold.

My prayers to all of those affected by this -- and hopefully this is one that will not be topped for a very, very long time.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
      #52640 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:56 PM

Some of the national media who didn't "get it" seem to be waking up. The Wall Street Journal, which carried their Katrina stories in the second section of this morning's print edition and included statements such as "An aging New Orleans levee broke, but the city was spared utter devastation as the storm failed to reach predicted levels", now carries a lead headline on their web site that says: " Katrina Crisis Worsens; Superdome to Be Evacuated"

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52644 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:04 AM

I continue to watch the coverage of the unfolding tragedy and it keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Now I hear the 17th St Levee repair has failed and there could be 9' of water in parts of Jefferson and Orleans parish.

Every time I watch or see a report on-line I have to fight back tears and with the latest report I have to think...My God how much more suffering are these people are going to endure?

Please everyone, look up the charity folks and get in touch with them to donate to them as well if youre religious or not, say a prayer for the folks on the gulf coast.

I'm sorry if this is off topic and if you need to delete it, I understand, but here in Atlanta I'm sitting here crying as I write this....

Stay Safe everyone

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
      #52646 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:12 AM

CNN is broadcasting comments from a WDSU (NO NBC affiliate) reporter who says their station's transmitter was "fried" but, worse yet, they found it impossible to report the story from New Orleans because people were demanding their reporters hand over their cameras or anything else that could be used for barter. The station has packed up and moved to Jackson, MS!!! He also mentioned reports of car-jacking and a policeman being shot. What we have here, folks, is anarchy and it will only get worse until large numbers of military troops arrive. Where are they?

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Clark]
      #52648 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:16 AM

Reports coming in are not good. The initial Overhead Team (group that sets up the systems necessary for emergency responses), many of whom have worked all disasters since Hurricane Andrew, indicate that the situation is the worst they have ever faced. That is especially significant considering some of the events these people have worked.

Looting in NO is starting to get out of control. Police are too busy to deal with the looters - remember they are still in search and rescue operations, plus dealing with their own situations (lost homes, family members, etc.).

Tomorrow the DMORT's (Disaster Mortuary Operatonal Response Teams) will move into the area. Locations of known bodies are being marked, but they have nowhere currently to take the bodies. The DMORT units will set that up tomorrow. I am afraid that the total toll of this terrible storm will not be known for many days.

USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) Teams are being brought in from all over the country.

The support necessary to sustain these operations will be incredible. Teams going in now are taking what they need to survive for a minimum of five days. After Andrew, the Army set up feeding stations for emergency workers, which will probably occur in this situation. Many teams have mobile canteens to support their teams and can get resupplied to keep operations going.

One big issue always is, and will certainly be in this situation, the availability of fuel for the equipment.

Michael

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
i'm crying as i type this [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #52649 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:16 AM

words can no longer describe the magnitude of this disaster...i'm currently watching some of the most amazing (and sickening) footage on msnbc shot by their chopper pilot showing 17 (that's seventeen!) miles of utter devastation along the mississippi coast...

they mentioned that among other areas, hattiesburg was also devastated...speaking of which

i still have heard nothing from danny or frank or rick...

i'm sure their priorities are not to post here and i doubt any of them have power or phone...possibly even residences...i can only hope they still have their lives

if there's any good news, i (being the weather nut we all are) was able to push my boss to get NY national guard units and others to get their a$$es down to the affected areas...we all remember how much all ya'll helped us after 9/11...well...now it's our turn...

i'm crying as i type this...godspeed to all...of course if i hear anything from anyone, especially danny rick & frank...i'll let the boards know asap

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52650 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:18 AM

I am seeing shots out of MS...can not believe 90...I'm afraid as they get to some of these areas & start showing more aerial footage that what we've seen already will pale in comparison.

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52653 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:27 AM

hey guys! i just got on. ive been watching the news all day today and seeing the heartbreaking videos. i keep thinking about what if that was us here in fl and what if it happens this yr. found out that my wive Katrina's uncle lost his house in gulfport but is staying in jax. he is ok thank god! ive been so depressed all day watching this footage and im watching msnbc right now. did i hear them correctly comparing it too hiroshima and other things? i really feel for those people and my prayers go out too them. i think its time for hollywood too step up and do something and other countries. thank god for americans! thank you ryan and god bless you and ny. im moving too buffalo area next yr so illl be a nyorker. but i just hope we dont go through this in fl.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52654 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:28 AM

Hey, Ryan here

im devestated when i see all this destruction..it makes me sick to see people looting, so stupid, eveyone needs help down there so don't go causing more damage and fighting over things that arent even yours.

You may think oh why is he soo devestated he lives on LI, my best friend moved to Pascagoula, MS, their home was pick up and dragged through their neighboors home, destroying them both. And i know other people down their, like my aunt and uncle. They have 4 kids and their grandparents live with them(my great grandparents). My great grandma passed away as flood waters came up drowning her and my great grandpa died from a heart attack. My g.gma's body is yet to be found. This is a horrific event, i feel guilty almost. I wish there was anything i could do.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Ryan]
      #52656 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:34 AM

Quote:

I wish there was anything i could do.

you can ryan...help the red cross help the victims...and it doesn't have to be money...donate blood, man a call center, gather up clothes, bottled water, blankets, anything they say will be needed...click the post at the top of every page on this site or call 1-800-HELP-NOW. you can also pay pal mike on this site and he'll get the money there...

anyone and everyone who can help in any way...please do so...this isn't a local disaster, it's an AMERICAN disaster...

>>> im moving too buffalo area next yr so illl be a nyorker

well, not really, but thanks for your kind words...

*still crying*

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #52657 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:35 AM

Ryan, my condolences to you and your family on your losses. It's never easy losing a loved one, especially in a circumstance such as this. I can only hope that the cleanup can go well in that area and you all will be able to have some closure on this event.

It goes to show you how far reaching the impacts of this storm are (and will continue to be) -- everyone is going to be emotionally drained, if not already, and on edge for quite some time. Hang in there and hopefully, things will get better. When there's nothing else, there is hope.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Missouri, USA
      #52659 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:35 AM

WOW! The damage in Biloxi, Gulfport, and New Orleans is azmazing. We havent even been able to get to all the areas hit by the hurricane. These people are going need months to rebuild. All i can say is WOW at the damage. I will be praying for these people.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #52660 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:36 AM

Oh my. I was pretty pessimistic coming into this. It's obvious that I was not pessimistic enough.
Horrible news below. For those of you who have been on all day today. I posted earlier about this particular prison I believe. Apparently things took a turn.
And Ryan, my sincerest apologies for you and your family at this time.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1081633&page=1

Aug. 30, 2005 — Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

A deputy at Orleans Parish Prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out Hurricane Katrina inside the jail building, according to WBRZ.

Officials are expected to hold a press conference regarding the riots at 9 p.m. ET.

A woman interviewed by WBRZ said her son, a deputy at the prison whose family is among the hostages, told her that many of the prisoners have fashioned homemade weapons. Her son had brought his family there hoping they would be safe during the storm.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52661 - Wed Aug 31 2005 12:41 AM

Well, I'm back from New York. We have many who evacuated here in Beaumont. Many here have family in Louisiana
who are now staying with them. I expected that Katrina would head more towards Louisiana because our weatherman had told
us we had a high over us that should protect us. Anyway, we here in Beaumont are praying for all of our neighbors in Louisiana
and Mississippi.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center