F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52710 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 AM

here is some info that people may not be aware of. The Red Cross has a system called "Disaster Welfare Inquiry" (DWI). They can communicate from disaster zones to the outside world to let someone know that you are "ok" (or not). I believe that this communications is from Red Cross people in a disaster area to local chapters and not to people directly. Warning: the Red Cross changed it's handling of DWI recently due to budget issues and I'm not entirely sure of the impact.
I know the Red Cross is overwhelmed (as is everyone) but they're working at it. Members of my team here are enroute right now. I'm waiting to catch up with FEMA teams and should be enroute either soon or within 2 weeks as a relief team for those already in place.

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WiscoWx

Reged:
Loc: Madison, WI
      #52711 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 AM

DisasterMaster (or anyone else in a position to know),

I am a school administrator in Wisconsin. We will certainly be organizing donation efforts to mainstream charities in our schools like we do for every major disaster, but I am wondering what specific assistance schools elsewhere can offer to those directly impacted by Katrina. We had a local family call us today asking about residency requirements because they have relatives who hope to relocate for a few months until the recovery takes hold, which underscored the massive refugee/dislocation crisis that is upon us.

I know that there must be contingency plans for this. For dislocated families that are not moving to be with family in other areas, but will be residing in camps, what are the plans for the schooling of the children? Is this being coordinated at the states or federal level? We are planning on our budgets being strapped due to energy prices, but if we have excess materials, supplies, equipment, etc. that is of OK quality, will it be needed and what would be the point of contact? Essentially, is there anything school institutions outside the affected area can do to and how do we link up?

Thanks much!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: bobbutts]
      #52712 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 AM

OH my god - that was taken AFTER some of the waters receeded?

Half of Jackson County and half of Mobile county is missing (underwater).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: WhitherWeather]
      #52713 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:13 AM

Those are my thoughts too...I also think we have not seen the scope of this disaster fully yet. I can't believe the pumps are failing and the levees are breaking...if anyone said the city doged a bullet they have been proven wrong today. I am one of them.

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #52714 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:15 AM

what happens if the water doesn't go down? I mean, is that even possible? I would assume we are looking at months and not days before the water is gone.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Sheeper]
      #52715 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:16 AM

i just got a PM from margie...she's awaiting a call from her sister (who is expecting a call from her missing brother's wife)...she'll call me after...

hopefully i'll have some good news to report...

btw, if anyone really needs a diversion from the coverage, turn on USA .. there's a really awesome tennis match going on between Roddick & Muller...

EDIT: i posted this before margie's post...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Aug 31 2005 02:18 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Heather]
      #52716 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:17 AM

Quote:

While waiting for the storm to make landfall, we all heard a lot about the worst case scenario. The destruction in New Orleans, etc. sounded like it would be something out of a sci-fi movie. First reports were more positive, but with conditions continuing to decline, our we looking at the worst case scenario?

Also, thoughts and prayers to all of our members here who are in harms way.

Yes.

The worst case scenario only required a Cat 2 in the right location, not a strong storm.

Katrina was in the right location and the west side of the storm was very week (this attenuatin could be seen prior to landfall as dry air made its way into the hurricane), so it could be compared to NO getting a Cat 2.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Catawba

Reged:
Loc: Putnam County, Florida
      #52717 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:19 AM

I've been unable to watch the TV most of today, but have followed this forum and a few other blogs/news sites. Just now seeing the video, though, and am flabbergasted, for a better word. Is there any word yet on the Naval Support Activity? I was stationed there for two years in the early 90's, and just read that the BRAC decided to keep it open. Now wondering if there is anything left to keep open.

-MB

rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: WhitherWeather]
      #52718 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:21 AM

We may already be there...

I saw a report that said the water could be pumped down 1" per hour (best case scenario). Realistically, with structures flooded for weeks... I don't know.

The cost of restoring them will outweigh the expense of replacing them. While it would be a boon to the national economy, it would be at a cost to the government. (taxpayers)

Should we replace the buildings? Only to get flooded in 50 years?

This is really bad, scary stuff, folks. Let's hope the news reports are a bit excited, and things are not quite as bad as they seem. Though I fear it's going to get worse.

rule

errorcone

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: rule]
      #52719 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:28 AM

Quote:

We may already be there...

I saw a report that said the water could be pumped down 1" per hour (best case scenario). Realistically, with structures flooded for weeks... I don't know.

The cost of restoring them will outweigh the expense of replacing them. While it would be a boon to the national economy, it would be at a cost to the government. (taxpayers)

Should we replace the buildings? Only to get flooded in 50 years?

This is really bad, scary stuff, folks. Let's hope the news reports are a bit excited, and things are not quite as bad as they seem. Though I fear it's going to get worse.

rule

That, I think, is the million dollar question.

more like the $50 billion question

It's one thing to consider rich person beach houses to be temporary structures, it's another to consider an entire city to be temporary.

The insurance for buildings and houses in that area I'd imagine is going to be quite a bit more then in the past.

I'm looking at this as the removal of a city. I'm sure NO will exist in the future, but I'm not sure it will ever be a major city again. At least not in the near future.

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Aug 31 2005 02:30 AM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: WiscoWx]
      #52720 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:28 AM

All efforts in that matter should be handled through the American Red Cross. That will save you a phone call.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: LI Phil]
      #52723 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:29 AM

He's ALIVE!!!!

Phil I'll call you - first I have to call my great-aunt.

--------------------

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Catawba]
      #52724 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:31 AM

All movable vessels where pulled out, its irocin that the fed gov. builds all coastal base structures to withstand 200mph winds. Most are elevated 4-6 ft. Have you ever not walked up stairs in a gov building.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #52725 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:35 AM

Quote:

All movable vessels where pulled out, its irocin that the fed gov. builds all coastal base structures to withstand 200mph winds. Most are elevated 4-6 ft. Have you ever not walked up stairs in a gov building.

heh...i work in one...and although we've been in the building for 2 years, we're still not ADA compliant...someone in a wheelchair must be literally carried from the curb up 5 rather large steps before they can enter the building...of course the landlord promised ada compliance prior to us signing our lease...your taxes at work

back to the disaster at hand...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

routerheads

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Margie]
      #52726 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:35 AM

Great news Margie!

Please update us with his first hand information when you get it.

JB

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52727 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:37 AM

I have more than 3000 rounds of amunition in my shop out back. i will donate all to deal with these Scumm Bag looters. Sorry Mods for the name calling, but this is one of those situations. Examples need to be made.
Food i can understand. Most stores would donate what they cant sell anyway. But Watching these scum bags steal Toby Keith Cd's from walmart crosses the line. LoL anyone else need the laugh?

steal it? i didn't think they could give it away

Vey funny Phil. NOT!

Edited by Disaster Master (Wed Aug 31 2005 02:40 AM)

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: rule]
      #52728 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:37 AM

I have been a mess emotionally. I think it is a mix of feelings returning after the three I went through last year, an empathizing, and a horror at what is happening. It is hard and I feel helpless. I have MS and can't donate blood but I will send in a donation but it just seems so little....Grieving here in Orlando

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Margie]
      #52729 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:39 AM

Margie, i hope your talking about your Bro. God Bless him. He's a hero. I need his location and address. I will give to FNC. He need to be on the air. We need something like him to talk about. If even for a few minutes.

Catawba

Reged:
Loc: Putnam County, Florida
      #52730 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:41 AM

It's been well over 10 years since I was stationed there, so my memory may be faulty, but I am not so sure that all of the buildings were built as sturdily as you say. Of course, that was pre-Andrew (by a few months), so maybe they upgraded the older buildings since then. But since this particular base straddles the river on both sides, I was actually more concerned about the flooding. If I recall correctly, the east bank side is on Dauphin Street. I don't remember the name of the major street on the west bank, but it was in the Algiers area. I imagine the East bank side is flooded out, or will be soon with this levee breech.

Margie, I'm glad your brother is ok!

-MB

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52731 - Wed Aug 31 2005 02:41 AM

first pick of Slidell on CNN

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51413

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center