F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52755 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:05 AM

Um, not talking about a ship either. I was thinking more along the lines of inflatables or large flat bottoms. Down here in Florida there's a lot of water only a few feet deep. We've got plenty of boats that hold a lot more than five people and only draw a few feet of water at most.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
G. J.
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: evergladesangler]
      #52756 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:05 AM

How about the 2 female deputies or security guards "lookin' for looters" while filling their shopping cart with boxes of shoes!!!!!!! :?:

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: StormHound]
      #52757 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:05 AM

MSNBC just showed a clip of A COP looting the same Wal-Mart, doing nothing to stop the others. If I were her, I would have shot them, maybe in the leg, to be nice.

The Today show will have a full report tomorrow.

Just heard that armed groups of people are roving the French quarter. MSNBC.

This is insanity. We are supposed to be better than this. But those who aren't, I say pop 'em.

Edited by age234 (Wed Aug 31 2005 03:09 AM)

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52758 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:06 AM

single file the folks in that dome would stretch 2.6 miles. LOL . your talking solid, pile supported structure.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #52760 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:08 AM

Thanks, StormHound. Glad to hear that there is a way to get them out. The Governer did say that they would have to evacuate those shelters as soon as possible, so I was wondering.
***Mayor of N.O. is on CNN right now*** To cut to the chase, he just said that "the bowl everyone talks about us living in is filling up."

Glad to hear that other countries have pledged to help. i hadn't heard anything on TV about that...might have missed it between taking breaks from watching the TV.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52761 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:08 AM

Airboats would work...there's tons of them there...don't need much water to go in & can go thru areas with lots of water...a thought.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52762 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:12 AM

I didn't read the posts above - but i did see on Fox News channel airboats being used. Good idea.

Margie - So happy to hear about your brother!!! Thank goodness!!!

Mods - Any word from Danny??

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Colleen A.]
      #52763 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:13 AM

How about Germany's environment minister hinting that the US was to blame for the hurricane because of its refusal to cut greenhouse gases? Thanks for the sympathy and words of support. How about a few bucks as payback for the billions we spent to help Germany in the postwar effort? The supplies we flew in to Berlin during the Cold War? The K rations and D Bars my Dad and other GIs shared with the German people? Don't want to start a debate on global warming, so mods if you want to delete this, okay by me. It takes a lot to get me peeved. I'm there.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #52764 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:14 AM

Quote:

Airboats would work...there's tons of them there...don't need much water to go in & can go thru areas with lots of water...a thought.

True. They can even travel short distances on land if they need to. They may not be where their owners left them, though.

It took me about three minutes on the internet to find a 24' inflatable River Runner that sits 24 people. I'm sure there are larger models.

I'm not suggesting this is the only or best way to get them out. I'm saying its one scenario I can think of that seems plausible. They may have amphibious or other types of vehicles available.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52765 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:15 AM

That many boats in downtown N.O. Try telling a group of males in that dome that it is not ther turn. That they will have to wait. There boat doesnt get there for another 24 hours. See what happends then. The only opption is for those folks to wait out the water and walk out to the interstate. you talking hundreds of boats in areas where there is many under water obstructions. cars, fire hydrants, ect... it sounds like a good option, but im sure it wont be a first option. not sure its possible.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #52767 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:18 AM

Women, children, sick & elderly first right? People have to be made aware of the seriousness of the situation they're in...I'd tell them wait or drown...and for what I'm sure in many cases to act like a man for once too.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52769 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:21 AM

In a perfect world. Not trying to profile but come on. Seriously. The same folks are toting in pillow cases full of Nikes from foot locker on Bourbon St.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #52770 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:22 AM

I'm sure even worst case desperate scenario, with what the miliatry, law/fire rescue, Coast Guard, & private citizens, if boating was the only way out they could have the resources.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #52772 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:23 AM

would be easier to boat in supplys, skitto cans and water.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #52773 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:23 AM

Just a question: where would they get the gas to operate all of these boats? I did hear somebody say at the FEMA press conference that they are thinking of bringing in planes to get those people out.
Seems like so many logistical problems, none of which seem to have any good answers.
Not to be even more depressing, but my hubby is an ME and he said there is no way those levees are going to hold because the pressure of the water. He said those pumps were only supposed to withstand a Cat 2 or 3 storm.
37,000 National Guard troops are on their way to N.O. They better be running, because I have a feeling things are going to go from bad to worse inside that Dome.
We are human, yes...but when we face situations like this, we turn to survival tactics...and sometimes turn into animals. I think what we are seeing now is people trying to survive one by one.
What we need right now is the same person who parted the Red Sea to step in and part Lake Ponchatrain.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

ohioaninmiss
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: LI Phil]
      #52774 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:24 AM

To shift north a bit ....

Has anyone heard from Danny? He's in Hattiesburg, MS, and it got hit pretty hard, too....Katrina passed right over Hattiesburg as a CAt 1-2 and did quite a bit of damage there (not as much as the coast, of course, but pretty extensive for 90+ miles inland). I haven't seen him post since Saturday and I'm starting to get worried.

--------------------
Marie

Back in Ohio from a crazy summer in Mississippi!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #52775 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:24 AM

Hey it's not profiling it's fact...on live tv in most cases...hence my act like a man comment...I believe the Guard is armed correct...noone in there is...they were searched...one thing to run your mouth another to be packing...hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #52776 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:25 AM

DM, I understand that it is difficult, but what solutions do you suggest? The water is going up, not down. There are too many people in a structure that can't accomodate them. The heat must be unbearable. There must be fights happening, at least one apparent suicide already (that we know of). You want them to wait three or four weeks until the water subsides?

The military pushes armies with thousands of men many miles across all types of terrain. I'm quite certain they have vehicles that can move a few thousand people a few miles.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
margie phone call [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52777 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:25 AM

i'm still on the phone with margie...she's going to post an update as soon as we get off...

scary s+!t still going on with all this, but at least her brother is ok...

keep the faith ya'll

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: margie phone call [Re: LI Phil]
      #52778 - Wed Aug 31 2005 03:28 AM

DM, are you getting any reports about what is going on inside the SuperDome? Unless they can get some air conditioning and bedding in there, they need to get those people out ASAP. It's gotta be over 100 degrees inside there during the day. Hungry, homeless, hot and angry people aren't going to last long sleeping in bleacher seats. It's going to get really ugly, really fast. I'll cut it off at this point and leave it to the professionals.

Great news about Margie's brother. I'm sure the stories are sad, but if he survived there must be other good stories.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Edited by StormHound (Wed Aug 31 2005 03:29 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center