F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 248 (Idalia) , Major: 248 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 248 (Idalia) Major: 248 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
orlandocanewatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: E Central Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52822 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:25 AM

anybody hear anything about the Eden Isles area in Slidell,LA??? My mother-in-law from that area...evacuated to Laurel, MS but still have not heard from her since the storm...I know phone service has been down, but hopefully we'll hear something tomorrow...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park
Re: MIT's study [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52823 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:25 AM

That helicopter footage of Biloxi is unbelievable.

Here's what I sent to our good friends at the Deutsche Botschaft:

Quote:

Sir/Madam,
I was disgusted to hear Germany's Environment Minister, Herr Tritten, balme the United States for the horrible disaster in the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and others. How can the German government insinuate such an absurd statement? Your government owes the United States, the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, and all the people affected by this disaster a sincere apology. The comments by Herr Tritten were mean-spirited and simply unnecessary at such a time as this, when hundreds, maybe thousands, have died in unimaginable conditions. If Germany doesn't apologize, you will find a lot of negative feelings and animosity toward Germany. Furthermore, such a tactless bureaucrat as Herr Tritten should be removed from his office, as he is clearly unable to fulfill his duties in a civilized fashion. Is this how Germany thanks the United States for everything they have done for your country over the decades? If not, nothing less than Herr Tritten's removal from office and Germany's sincere apology will satisfy this Floridian.
Regards,

Kudos to BT for the idea.

[edit] Whoops, I did a typo in the letter. Oh well...
you said that with more class than i'd bother to show. rude hand gestures is about all i can muster. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Aug 31 2005 05:34 AM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52824 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

most cruise ships these days cost between around 3/4 million dollars

I'm 99.99% sure that estimate is off by several orders of magnitude. Did you mean 3/4 BILLION?

lol...if a cruise ship cost ~$750,000, i could almost afford to buy...i donno

a room...still...them things cost as much as stadia...so yes...$750 million per, not $750 thousand per is correct

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Downtown Beaufort Marina, SC
Re: MIT's study [Re: age234]
      #52826 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:35 AM

I have to agree with age234's post that Germany's environment minister's statements (regardless of accuracy) were completely ill-timed, mean-spirited, and inappropriate. Politics...makes me sick to my stomach.

One thing I would like everyone to remember, though...since a lot of news and discussion is tuned in on New Orleans...is that Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian and that stretch of the coast is utterly wiped out.

Gov. Barbour did a recent news conference and basically said that from the coast in a few miles...it is all gone.

Not damaged...not sort of destroyed...but gone.

Gone.

That's a pretty tough word to hear.

/Anton

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52827 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:43 AM

Yep I must be tired tonight 3/4 Billion.. I worked for the Royal Caribbean for over 10 years.. Simply mistyped..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
CDC [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52829 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:45 AM

CDC is now making some good points about the 1 million homeless people (CDC estimate):

Toxic Mold
West Nile and Mosquitos
Water and airborne biologicals
Chemical saturation

This just keeps getting nastier...

Oy.
/anton

--------------------
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
-Albert Einstein

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
South Carolina Whackos [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52830 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:50 AM

(lets not get into this - way off topic)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Aug 31 2005 04:58 AM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: CDC [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52831 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:51 AM

Do not forget about the loss of jobs and revenue.. Companies will cease to operate out of the area and will need to relocate to other areas for disaster recovery purposes.

Also as mentioned on the news gas prices, which never need an excuse to go up, but this one provides them a good excuse.. I wonder why the government hasnt tapped into the reserves yet ? Sometimes I think its a conflict of interest to have a President who is in the oil business..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #52832 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:53 AM

Seen on local news:

The Red Cross has opened a shelter here in Austin for not only the many people from LA here right now but also for the people say they will be bringing in from the Superdome. Logistics... dunno.

C5 cargo plane ready at Lackland AFB in San Antonio to bring in supplies.

And 2 sharks were seen in the water in the NO area.

Here's hoping everyone who hasn't checked in here yet is ok

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: South Carolina Whackos [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52833 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:54 AM

As the story line starts off, "we knew this was comming", however, I did not expect it to be abbortion related. LOL Thought it would be more in line with deviate behavior.

--------------------

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park
      #52834 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:55 AM

(off-topic removed)

Sorry 'bout that. Yes, let's stay on topic. This place is about weather, so onward on to it.

Edited by age234 (Wed Aug 31 2005 05:18 AM)

WiscoWx

Reged:
Loc: Madison, WI
Re: MIT's study [Re: Anton Ross]
      #52835 - Wed Aug 31 2005 04:56 AM

Quote:

Hm...Gov. of MS basically told the president not to come tour the area. (From Larry King Live)

Not sure what to make of that?

/anton

I wouldn't make much of that. The President visiting the impacted area would be counterproductive at this time because it would divert resources from search, rescue, relief to his security requirements. Returning to D.C. to make sure the full resources of the federal government are applied, appealing to the nation to support the victims in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and extreme west Florida, and monitoring the economic impact are what he needs to do right now. After a while, it will be time for him to tour the devastation and visit the refugee camps.

Catmando

Reged:
      #52836 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:01 AM

(removed to match continuity of Ed's comments above)

Edited by Clark (Wed Aug 31 2005 05:11 AM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: MIT's study [Re: WiscoWx]
      #52838 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:02 AM

Govenor of Louisianna was asked if she wanted Bush to come visit her state, and o seemed hesistant about answering it. I agree the President would be better off not getting in the way at this time. However, when asked what she would say to him, she said "they need help" and she seemed uncomfortable in answering that question too. It appears that she may believe things are moving fast enough. I can't blame her, being that one of the worst disasters has struck during her tenure as Governor. Can you image the massive logistical nightmare ? I feel bad for everyone involved. This is going to be a very tough recovery.

--------------------

Edited by Lake Toho - Kissimmee (Wed Aug 31 2005 05:06 AM)

Anton Ross
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Back to incoming WX [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #52843 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:06 AM

I haven't seen too much information being generated about that wave east of the Lesser Antilles...

NHC is looking for it to potentially develop.

Thoughts from our WX experts?

/anton

--------------------
-Albert Einstein

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
TIME OUT! [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #52844 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:10 AM

up until about 20 minutes ago the boards were what they should be...a mix of people "venting" (albeit in a couched manner), questioning, postulating, hoping and praying...

all of a sudden...it became a highly charged political forum...

not gonna happen...let's keep the posts focused on the victims and the possibilities...not on presidential politics, religious dogma and other UNRELATED activity...

questioning why bush was told not to come to mississip. is fine...making a political diatribe out of such is not...also...

posting that radar/satellite shots look like sonograms are likewise not welcome...

capice?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: TIME OUT! [Re: LI Phil]
      #52847 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:18 AM

Anyone have any Satellite/Radar photos of Katrina as it hit land?

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Power in S. Miss. [Re: LI Phil]
      #52848 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:19 AM

Power companies are reporting complete loss of power in Mississippi from Meridian southward -- this is almost a 100 mile stretch from I-20 to the coast. If you haven't heard from people that way, that may well be the reason.

Full story at http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12517643.htm.

Good night, all.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Administrative Note [Re: LI Phil]
      #52849 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:19 AM

LI Phil is correct - we need to regroup.

The recent posts are drifting way off topic. This is not a political forum. If you have impact information put it in the Disaster Forum. Its time to put the focus back on the tropics. This has been a monumental event but this site is not designed to cover all aspects of it. We feel deeply for those that are hurting, but our posts will not change the magnitude of this disaster. Lets attempt to refocus on the tropics. Thanks for your help.
ED

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Administrative Note [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #52851 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:30 AM

just incase you missed it.... Jason Kelley is back in PCB.....(tired, but okay)... man does he have some stories to tell. He took pictures on the way back from MS. Gray communications asked him to go to a sister station to help them with coverage... They are in a mess, but are doing okay....When he went on air tonight on WJHG 7, they played some video and it was the first time he had seen some of the aerial shots of the destruction. I am sure will hear or read his stories soon.....

Also mark s. from hurricane track had uploaded some video....
CHECK THIS OUT:

http://www.hurricanelivenet.com/katduring.wmv

this is some good video of very high winds and rain... and even a possible tornado! Now that amature videos are showing up, i'll tey to post links for all to see.....

Please if you have time.... visit http://www.redcross.org/

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51517

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center