F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Is it Almost the Season?
      #529 - Fri May 31 2002 01:28 PM

The next mission to the International Space Station was delayed last night, and probably will be again today for the storms that happened across central Florida yesterday, some of which were strong. Expect that again today to round out the end of the lack of Hurricane Season.

That said, tomorrow is the start of the 2002 Hurricane Season, and for it I don't expect much. Jim Wililiam's over at Hurricane City will be doing an opening radio show again tomorrow, and it should be worth checking out as usual.

More strong storms tonight, and about a 30% chance that the Space Shuttle will launch. If it doesn't go, then it will be next week and the current astronauts on the Space Station will set a US record for longest time in space (somehow I doubt this is something they wanted to set).

Until tomorrow...

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Triopical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Even more on the links page.
- [mac]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Will the Shuttle Launch Tonight?
      #530 - Fri May 31 2002 01:31 PM

Will the shuttle launch tonight?

Votes accepted from (Fri Apr 26 2024 11:09 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Will the Shuttle Launch Tonight?
      #531 - Fri May 31 2002 01:43 PM

I think you're right. I highly doubt it will launch today. And I highly doubt the astronauts up there are all giggly about staying up there another day.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Re: Will the Shuttle Launch Tonight?
      #534 - Fri May 31 2002 04:57 PM

Is anyone watching what is happening in the gulf right now? I still don't think anything will develop but it sure looks interesting. There looks to be a seperate circulation out there where all the convection is. If this keeps up at least there will be something to watch on the first week-end of the season.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
NHC
      #535 - Fri May 31 2002 05:41 PM

The NHC just issued a "Special Tropical Disturbance" statement about this area in the NW gulf and also the area around Jamaica. I just got an email about it. It should be on their website, if not I will post it here.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Hernando Beach,Fl
Re: Is it Almost the Season?
      #536 - Fri May 31 2002 05:55 PM

Your good colleen.. doesn't sound like much will happen but you never know

CaneMan
Unregistered

Re: NHC
      #537 - Fri May 31 2002 05:55 PM

Yeah but Shear still way too strong for anything to happen. Anybody have any idea when shear will abate?

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: NHC
      #538 - Fri May 31 2002 06:01 PM

Despite the NHC issuance of a STDS for both these system (the NW Gulf of Mexico and the one south of Central Cuba), there are no invests up on the NRL Monterey page at present...

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Hernando Beach,Fl
Just a refresher
      #539 - Fri May 31 2002 06:44 PM

Tropical Disturbance:
A discrete tropical weather system of apparently organized convection--generally 100 to 300 nmi in diameter---originating in the tropics or subtropics, having a nonfrontal migratory character, and maintaining its identity for 24 hours or more. It may or may not be associated with a detectable perturbation of the wind field.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #541 - Sat Jun 01 2002 03:04 AM

GOM not very exciting tonight looking at the IR with very llittle convection. NHC seems to be kinda quick to issue "Special Tropical Weather Statements" this year.. hmmm

Lowest pressures are in the west GOM at 1007.5 but most buoys indicate pressures are rising... No wind to speak of either...

Covection of the Honduras coast about the only thing interesting right now but its getting killed with shear...

Nice to see old "Cat 5" Rick from Mobile posting again...

Just got back from seeing the movie "The Sum of all Fears" scary stuff... I'll rate it three out of four smirks

Season starts tomorrow but I have a feeling that nothing is going to happen any time soon... time will tell

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
      #542 - Sat Jun 01 2002 03:22 AM

Ya Frank there anxious too!! Yes people the Official Time is here . The Mean Season is upon us once again . I see Dr. Gray downgraded his predictions.... HMMM..... I feel better already.....

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #543 - Sat Jun 01 2002 03:33 AM

Hey Rad, howyadoin... hehe

Yeah, the good Doctor downgraded his forecast by a couple of storms..... no big deal IMO.... all it takes is that major storm to hit ya, then you quit counting totally cause it doesn't matter any more after that.... I still think that New Orleans is ripe for a storm this year, but heck, I've been saying that for the past 10 years... but if one area is due N'awling is the one... You listening Steve?

Gotta admit you post the coolest graphics, especially the one last night pouring a cool one... like the cane flag too

I see your ready for the season to kick off tomorrow...
Board quiet night tonight as expected with nothing going on...

Edited by Frank P (Sat Jun 01 2002 03:36 AM)

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
      #545 - Sat Jun 01 2002 03:46 AM

YA Frank, thats what worries me about livin on the Gulf Coast. They have to exit somewhere. Yea I am ready for the season especially September in my neck of the woods . But I aint skeered....

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

time
      #546 - Sat Jun 01 2002 03:57 AM

hmm.. five minutes. then it's official. but so what. just another night with a special tropical disturbance statement and nothing to speak of. bastardi still says the pattern is such as to possibly give us one, though he is nonspecific. don't blame him. low level swirls keep turning, but shear or indifference keeps them from doing much.
i was 12-8-4, and staying there, despite the fact that gray is now under me in all categories. i'd rather go down with the ship than alter my december reckoning, though i have to agree that i'm too high if anything.
no matter.. send us arthur, king of the britons. and dont bother with patsy and his coconuts. dos minutos...

sweetp

Reged:
Loc: Alabama
      #547 - Sat Jun 01 2002 05:39 AM

Nice to know I "ain't" the only one from Mobile on here :-)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 4673

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center