F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Didn't they have mandatory evac? [Re: bamffl]
      #53088 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:34 AM

Oh don't tell me that anyone stayed down in southern Plaquemines parish, please! I don't think I could deal with any more horrific news. When Katrina went over that land (the first landfall) it was even stronger than when it hit the Gulf Coast, and down there is nothing but bayous. I thought that nothing would be left down there, afterwards, not even the road.

If there are people down in Buras, Venice, etc. they need to be airlifted out. Has LA been focused solely on NO and not checked out that area by airplane? I just assumed they had, and no one was there, and with the water levels still elevated I thought no one could get back in.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Black Pearl
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile Bay
Re: Fuel [Re: BobVee]
      #53089 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:39 AM

The same is happening in Baldwin County, Alabama. Public schools were scheduled to reopen tomorrow-

Power is back on
Buildings received minimal damage

No fuel for the buses- therefore schools are closed until further notice. The local news is advising people to drive unless it is absolutely necessary.

A word of thanks for all you on this website. The information you guys have provided both before and after the storm has been invaluable. Your heartlfelt concern and kind words are greatly appreciated. Mobile was bruised, and some people are really hurting, but nothing compared to the magnitude of suffering and anguish in Mississippi and Lousiana. My heart breaks for these people.

Edited by Black Pearl (Thu Sep 01 2005 12:40 AM)

bamffl
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Didn't they have mandatory evac? [Re: Margie]
      #53091 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:46 AM

Quote:

Oh don't tell me that anyone stayed down in southern Plaquemines parish...

Yes, unfortunately that's the case, but it ended up being a bad decision...

These guys (my cousin and his friend) ended up going over to somewhere in Florida to get some sort of portable shelters (details are sketchy) for people over there. The short story is that they wrote a check for $100K on his friend's account to get the shelters (can't remember how many) and then when they went back to the bank, the bank had frozen this guy's assets because it was based on the value of his marina and property, which was now basically non-existent. Sucks! These guys were trying to help others with their own funds and now they're looking at a *big* bounced check! Even now though, they simply want to get back into the area with whatever supplies they can and then help with the recovery of bodies, etc... I actually (selfishly) tried to talk my cousin out of it in light of the threat to health (typhoid, etc.) but he's pretty adamant. Even if people just want to get supplies to the area, call the number and they'll be delivered.

--------------------
You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices...

Dougyd
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Sanibel
Colonial Pipeline [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #53092 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:47 AM

The Colonial Pipeline - East-West Gasoline pipeline has opened up about 25% of capacity on generators and will work up to 60% or so soon.

Here is link.

http://www.colpipe.com/press_release/pr_73.asp

Doug

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
Re: Fuel [Re: Black Pearl]
      #53097 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:05 AM

I saw lines in Orlando blocking major intersections and even one looked like they had police crime tape around, some people were in lines filling up spare tanks on boats, and some had empty tanks in the back of their vehicles 6-8 deep. Totally absurd. I can't believe how selfish our society have become. If everyone would conserve a little bit of gas/fuel each day and DONATE few bucks to the Red Cross and VOLUNTEER OUR time to the recovery efforts, after a month or two it will GET better. Panicking now is only making worse! Why do we want to make all of us part of the problem we need to be part of the solution!
Just my 2 cents worth in Orlando,.

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Fuel [Re: Girlnascar]
      #53098 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:12 AM

Here is my two cents: PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BUYING GAS LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW. In the face of decreased supply, we need to find substitutes in order to ease off of the demand of gasoline a little bit. All of these people trying to buy gas not only puts a major strain on the small supplies that are already left, but it also increases demand even more. There will be less gasoline available, but there will be people who still need gas.

I believe that gasoline SEVERELY needs rationing at this point.

And I totally agree with and echo what nascargirl said.

Chesapeake Phil
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Betterton, MD
Re: Fuel [Re: Girlnascar]
      #53099 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:13 AM

Quote:

I saw lines in Orlando blocking major intersections and even one looked like they had police crime tape around, some people were in lines filling up spare tanks on boats, and some had empty tanks in the back of their vehicles 6-8 deep. Totally absurd. I can't believe how selfish our society have become. If everyone would conserve a little bit of gas/fuel each day and DONATE few bucks to the Red Cross and VOLUNTEER OUR time to the recovery efforts, after a month or two it will GET better. Panicking now is only making worse! Why do we want to make all of us part of the problem we need to be part of the solution!
Just my 2 cents worth in Orlando,.

Agreed. Rumors in Atlanta triggered a run on some gas stations; creating spot shortages through self-fulfilling prophecy. Full story is linked at http://www.ajc.com - you have to register for free to view. The headline is about rising gas prices. It SHOULD read "Governor Assures City That Atlanta Has Enough Gas if People Wouldn't Horde It."

The fact that CNN reported shortly ago that people in Atlanta were paying over $5 for gas was irresponsible and probably added to that panic. They were getting their info from http://atlantagasprices.com - a site where anyone can log in and post a gas price. Earlier this afternoon, there was a price posted there of $5.89 at one station and that price has now been removed (it was likely someone's idea of a sick joke). There are several reports of $3.99 - so some stations in ATL are taking advantage of a bad situation, but my sister in Alpharetta filled up a couple hours ago for $2.69. CNN made it sound like gas in Atlanta is over five dollars across the city - clearly not true and TOTALLY irresponsible reporting (considering where CNN is based) that will just lead to more panic and hording, thus causing some shortages.

EDIT: I see that http://atlantagasprices.com now has a report of $4.99/gallon. Of course, there is also a report of $0.06/gallon now posted. Whether that report of $4.99 is true or not, the fact is that there are still many stations in Atlanta who are not price gouging. The governor of Georgia has also come out and said that there will be consequences for gouges. PLEASE do not contribute to the madness regardless.

Edited by Chesapeake Phil (Thu Sep 01 2005 01:17 AM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Fuel [Re: Kevin]
      #53101 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:16 AM

here's my $.02

i had one (not like the one above) more like this one

when i was 16...

i'm SERIOUSLY considering buying one again...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Fuel [Re: LI Phil]
      #53103 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:18 AM

Hell yes Phil, SUBSTITUTES.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Fuel [Re: Kevin]
      #53104 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:23 AM

There are no lines in Boca everything is normal.

I read the article about the Orange County School district. They are short on diesel fule not regular gas. They were able to get some at regular stations and a regetting a delivery tomorrow. It sounds like they only missed one shipment this week which would not have been effected by the storm yet.

The biggest problem we're going to have is irresponisble reporting. I've read that its not an issue of enough gas, but refining capacity which is only down 8%. This of course will create problems, but not the panic the media will create.

I remember waiting for gas in Michican for 30 minutes after 9/11 for the same reason; PANIC.

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: New Orleans is a Tough town [Re: Takingforever]
      #53105 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:23 AM

Quote:

Just looking at CNN, many are talking about how Ivan and Dennis and Francis and Jannie and even Charley all had things to normal in a matter of days, this storm aftermath will take months.

I hate to be mean but,....it didnt' take just days for us to clean up after those hurricanes. Some areas are STILL Cleaning up! Until you live in it day in and day out - you don't really understand - I know with Ivan they were still destroyed when Danny came through - you really shouldn't listen to what CNN has to say and ask some people who went through are are still cleaning up. This is going to take years to rebuild. Even areas down in South Florida that were hit by both Jeanne and Francis in the same place are rebuilding. And this was far worse but,..it is not an over night clean up . Maybe for a tropical storm but you have to realize, yes, it is going ot take a while to clean up but the areas you mentions are still cleaning up too. And it has only been a year. Keep that in mind...

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
gas [Re: Katie]
      #53106 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:25 AM

I was driving down to Sebring tonight and every single gas station I drove past had a line - it is nuts. I mean, if you need it - get it I dont' see the reason to "top off" right now. Good grief...see how a little rumor can cause such problems. I will be interested to see how quickly they run out of gas now that we sucked em dry!

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: gas [Re: Katie]
      #53109 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:28 AM

I saw this too, the line was actually blocking my way out. I've created a new topic for discussion of things outside the direct storm area called the "Katrina Domino Effect", which can be found here.

It's great to hear from a few people, like Frank, and Steve that they are ok. Even though they apparantly lost a lot. We wish them the best.

Also reports that some looters were shooting at helecopters today in New Orleans as well as a few other looter stories makes me very concerned.

bamffl
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: gas [Re: Katie]
      #53111 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:32 AM

I saw no lines in Tampa or Lakeland today. It did seem a bit busier than normal, but not crowded by any stretch of the imagination. And I the last price I saw for regular unleaded was WELL under $3.00 (~2.59?)

--------------------

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: gas [Re: bamffl]
      #53116 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:47 AM

Quote:

I saw no lines in Tampa or Lakeland today. It did seem a bit busier than normal, but not crowded by any stretch of the imagination. And I the last price I saw for regular unleaded was WELL under $3.00 (~2.59?)

Actually there were long lines of cars at gas stations tonight all over Lakeland. Also, the regular gas is over $2.70. Just wanted to correct the above information, as it is erroneous.

bamffl
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: gas [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53118 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:52 AM

Erroneous? Sorry, Big Red... I posted the Tampa price I saw since that's where I live. Lakeland (where I work) is generally around a nickel more so there might have been a little ambiguity, but erroneous? Apparently, according to the local radio (WFLA), the prices were changing pretty rapidly throughout the day too. Cut me some slack on the exact price quote, as the gist of my post was that it was well under three bucks with no major lines.

--------------------

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: gas [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53123 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:59 AM

Just read an interesting article here on airports possibly closing due to lack of fuel. http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=3343

I also disagree with the above posts in regards to the lack of fuel being caused by the "run" on gas. While the situation is certainly exacerbated by this, you cannot shut off the pipelines bringing gas to the southeast and NOT expect this to occur. While it would be nice to blame the gas shortages on the run by "panicked people," but these gas shortages are caused by... well... a shortage of gas. Prices are rising around the world. Even in Europe today wholesale gas prices rose $.10, and there's no "run" and their supply pipelines are not affected over there. It's only natural that things would be worse here in the southeast where we aren't getting the amount of new gas that we need.

Bam, I can make no comment on Tampa, but I have been around Lakeland this afternoon and the lines and prices are the case all over the city, and in fact all over Polk County. Perhaps you were through the area earlier in the day, as it is most certainly the case now. Things in Tampa/Hillsborough area are likely be better than they are here in Polk County, I don't doubt that at all. I only intended to correct the information about the city of Lakeland, as it is not the case in North Lakeland, or, from talking with friends in the Winter Haven area.

JulieTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lithia, FL
Re: gas [Re: bamffl]
      #53125 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:00 AM

I agree. I'm in Brandon (between Lakeland and Tampa) and the gas went from 2.57 at noon to 2.69 after rush hour at my local station, and I saw no lines anywhere as I drove around. Husband didn't see any lines on the way home Tampa to south Brandon, either.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
MS Power [Re: JulieTampa]
      #53128 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:08 AM

Sobering number: 1 in every 3 people without power in Mississippi (via Fox 35 news in Orlando).

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: gas [Re: JulieTampa]
      #53129 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:08 AM

Little off your subject of gas, but yesterday several people posted that perhaps our entertainment industry would make some donations I just saw the group INXS on tv and they made a donation to the RED CROSS and ask that others do the same.

Maybe this is a start and others will do the same

Edited by DebbiePSL (Thu Sep 01 2005 02:10 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 47781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center