F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Plant City, FL
Re: lee 14 92 [Re: MikeC]
      #53388 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:12 AM

I just watched the tropical update on The Weather Channel a few minutes ago and they mentioned needing to keep an eye on an area in the GOM near the panhandle of Florida. Anyone have any information on that?

Thank you, Donna

Go Bucs!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: lee 14 92 [Re: Littlebit]
      #53390 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:23 AM

There IS a weak tropical wave over the Carribean right now, but a weak anticyclonic vorticity in the gulf should prohibit any storm forming. None of the models develop anything into the gulf until at least mid next week, and then it is hard to tell whether the system that develops would go gulf or atlantic side of Florida.

However, there is the chance that something develops late in the forcast period that we have to watch. That may be what TWC was talking about, but I'm not sure.

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: lee 14 92 [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53391 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:38 AM

There has been talk that the models have been picking up on a very strong hurricane next week headed towards the east coast?? Anybody have any say in this?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
a solution for the gangs shooting at rescue choppers... [Re: Random Chaos]
      #53392 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:41 AM

next time a looter or gangbanger shoots at a chopper, i suggest they come back with one of these:

that'd restore some law and order pretty quick...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: lee 14 92 [Re: bn765]
      #53393 - Fri Sep 02 2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

There has been talk that the models have been picking up on a very strong hurricane next week headed towards the east coast?? Anybody have any say in this?

Sorry, but we now have to create a new scale for hurricanes.

Heard from several different people today that cell phone coverage out of Harrison and Jackson Counties very spotty...calls trying to get through from there lasting only seconds before losing the signal.

I have been looking at additional satellite images and figuring out the distance in of the storm surge in various areas along the MS Gulf Coast. I'm working out more details about how the surge developed so differently from the standard pattern, and looking at the debris fields. I earlier posted ideas on this sometime in the past two days. I am just curious to see if I can possibly feel worse than I do right now about how things worked out for the Gulf Coast, so I thought this was just the thing.

I doubt any accurate numbers are out but if anyone has heard storm surge estimates in feet for anywhere on the MS Gulf Coast I would appreciate if you could PM them to me.

Since MS has no other coastline I suppose I should stop saying Gulf Coast as it is slightly redundant, but it's an old habit.

Edited by Margie (Fri Sep 02 2005 01:11 AM)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: a solution for the gangs shooting at rescue choppers... [Re: LI Phil]
      #53394 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:00 AM

Great pic LI Phil! I just do not get the looter mentality at all. I remember after Andrew driving down US1 into Cutler Ridge (I had friends of the family down there we had not heard from, as well as family down in Naranja) any way, while waiting at a National Guard checkpoint I remember watching looters stealing CD's from a big music store. I never could figure that out, we didn't have power for weeks, what were they going to do with those CD's?

I can understand someone not having had something to eat for several days wanting to snag a couple of cans of tuna, but what do you do with 100 pairs of BVD's?

To get this back on topic, I am watching 92L and do not like what I see. It is too early to really tell what it is going to do, but it has all the makings... It will all depend on what the ridge(s) do over the next week or so.

And a quick Katrina report from South Florida. I was not prepared. My power went out about 6:30 PM Thursday, and it wasn't until about 9:00 PM that I realized this was not just a tropical storm. To make a long story short, I just got my power back yesterday and we are still cleaning up. But we were lucky.

Bill

Edited by BillD (Fri Sep 02 2005 01:03 AM)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: a solution for the gangs shooting at rescue choppers... [Re: LI Phil]
      #53395 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:02 AM

LOL Phil, you crack me up. Alternatively, I hear they use the 105mm Howitzer on an AC130 as a rifle with a laser scope.

Larry
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: JMII]
      #53396 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:07 AM

[quote This is my big fear - in the next storm nobody will go to a "shelter" instead they will clog the roads with traffic resulting in a whole new set of problems. [/quote

Indeed. The extended version of NBC nightly news covered the 3,000 people at the NO convention center who have been without food or water for days. The report established that the convention center was recommended as a secondary shelter after the Superdome. The people there are waiting for help, with no armed thugs around like other places. A very sad story that described the deaths of babies and the elderly from the conditions. After the story, the reporter interviewed Mike Brown, head of FEMA, who he today made it a high priority to get relief to these people. When questioned why they hadn't done it before, Brown stated that "honestly they just learned the people were there at the convention center today" after media coverage.

Duh!!! This speaks volumes about why there is such continued chaos. Down the road after this is over, there needs to be a long hard look at the lack of management coordination for the relief efforts, or this will not be the last time lives are lost.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Don't Look Now...But [Re: Larry]
      #53397 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:10 AM

GFDL animation brings 92L to CAT IV status...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: a solution for the gangs shooting at rescue choppers... [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #53398 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:11 AM

it will be interesting to see what 92L does in the next couple of days

--------------------
Matt

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Larry]
      #53399 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:12 AM

Quote:

Indeed. The extended version of NBC nightly news covered the 3,000 people at the NO convention center who have been without food or water for days.

It's actually 20,000 people. It's just sad. I just saw an old woman die in her husband's arms. MSNBC just had some awful pictures of the site.

Thanks for the good news Phil. According to William Gray... 8 more to go. With all of the current activity, that's starting to seem low.

There's no way FEMA could even handle that. They were already having problems this year due to the big four last year. Then Dennis. Then the worst natural disaster in our nation's history. There's not enough money or people to help if another major, god forbid, were to hit.

Edited by Big Red Machine (Fri Sep 02 2005 01:15 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Don't Look Now...But [Re: LI Phil]
      #53401 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:17 AM

Quote:

Which model is the one you were trying not to grouse about - was it the GFDL?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Don't Look Now...But [Re: Margie]
      #53403 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:19 AM

the GFS

good for nothing

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #53404 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

the GFS

good for nothing

as in good for "nothing"

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Miami Beach, FLA USA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami Beach, FLA
NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #53405 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:22 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have complete incompetency running this relief operation, and although I commend him and provide the utmost respect for any individual attempting to undertake this rescue operation (Dir. Brown), the statement, "that just today" he learned of these poor people suffering at the Convention Center and throughout the City of New Orleans is possibly the most disconcerting thing...causing me great fear and anxiety for those poor souls trapped in the toxic waters. Our outrage at this type of response must be known...this could easily be any of us from Florida going through what our neighbors are... we learned this all before from Andrew.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: Larry]
      #53406 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:24 AM

Just learned today? Impossible...has he not looked at a tv or read a paper the last 4 days? I'm afraid things are only going to get worse in NO.

Phil...not liking the models either...I think your "crowd control" idea is great!!!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land [Re: twizted sizter]
      #53407 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:30 AM

Looking at the aerials over MS again...mind numbing destruction...but how the heck did that McDonalds sign survive? Maybe we need to look into that when rebuilding.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #53408 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Take a look at 1 frame before the end. That's Cat 5 with 116mb 142kt winds.

don't put too much stock in a wave the GFDL blows up into a cat 5. happens all too often. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Sep 02 2005 03:03 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Miami Beach, FLA USA]
      #53411 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:32 AM

It almost hurts too much to talk about any of this any more, but I think it is obvious that it is not FEMA that is the problem. There is a huge difference at the state level. Granted, MS has had to deal with coastal hurricanes before, and LA has an unimaginable unique situation on their hands, but MEMA has been totally on top of things just as much as was possible given the huge scale of the coastal disaster.

MEMA had all their resources ready. As soon as the winds had died down to the level just above what might be considered safe, MEMA moved in to initiate search and rescue right away. Because of the size of the problem, search and recovery is going to be difficult, but in the areas that are left with any significant population, they are working as fast as they can. And MEMA was not sidetracked by the huge amount of wind damage sustained at Hattiesburg and other locations inland, in addressing the coastal effort, which has been very focused, organized, and coordinated.

--------------------

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: NBC Nightly News interview of FEMA Dir. Brown [Re: Miami Beach, FLA USA]
      #53412 - Fri Sep 02 2005 01:34 AM

The hardest thing in the world to do is sit in your living room and watch the horror and not be able to reach through the screen and change something.
In response to the models for 5 days out. Are they in any type of agreement on direction and intensity or are the models simply beginning to suggest conditions may be right for this storm to occur. I usually understand the models are based on the current conditions but with all the recent new data, from the past year to now, Are the different data more reliable now than in the past? Or is it less reliable than in the past. Its one thing to speculate on possible formation and another to prepare for a coming event. Even those of us who prepared with our knowledge from last year here in Florida, have had to use some of our supplies, or have donated some to those less fortunate and need to replenish. With the gas prices starting to climb as well as the newer product in the store beginning to climb in price, conservative consumerism is still important right now.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Edited by GuppieGrouper (Fri Sep 02 2005 01:36 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center