F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Steering currents [Re: pryord1]
      #56279 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:23 PM

Looks like on last model runs, GFS, MM5,UKMET,NOGAPS all have a version of a loop over TX/LA

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
theoretically [Re: Jonathan Franklin]
      #56280 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:28 PM

I think it's impossible to exactly predict where the hurricane will end up. it's a guess...and educated one...but a guess.

Rita has slowed to 9 mph forward speed...indicative of pushing against the high....now that she is as north as she is west...she'll roll off the high eastward.....natural coriolis forces pulling her north are also pushing her west. since she has now hit the nw trajectory....the nnw, n , nne are all next.

imho

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Steering currents [Re: tpratch]
      #56281 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:29 PM

Your right it is early, but I recall all day yesterday there were some folks that saw those same idiosyncrasies (a slight N move), (Ridge Shift) and look where we are today. Nearly 1/2 of LA is now in the cone. These things change quite a bit as we all know and if someone see's something and wants to voice their fact based or visual based opinion then they should be able to w/o getting quashed by folks. I and many of us, even those that think they are, we're not experts, so if there is going to be an opinion quickly crushed because someone did not say it first, I would rather it come from a MOD or a MET

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Edited by Tazmanian93 (Thu Sep 22 2005 12:35 PM)

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: Steering currents [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #56282 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:30 PM

I understand the steering currents vs. hurricanes, that the hurricane will follow the line of least resistance, and I remember being taught that a Cat 5 could "make its own weather", but in a fist match between Cat 5 and a High pressure system, I didn't know who would be stronger.

Edited by MadDog (Thu Sep 22 2005 12:54 PM)

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
      #56283 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:30 PM

Didn't say they will, just that it looks like they could. Look on the loop right now and it's not headed for Galveston at this moment.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
true that [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #56284 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:32 PM

I like that idea...that only mets should be allowed to bash us novices....make that a rule. anyone who wants to spend their time proving novices wrong... (which isn't much of a job anyway)....ought to have their posted deleted, and their hand slapped...and banned for 30 minutes....a picture of them posted...and sent to their corner, with NO cookies or milk....

bashing novices, huh? rick, if you're going to spout alarmist doodoo i have to refute it, else this turns into the x-files. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Thu Sep 22 2005 01:46 PM)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Steering currents [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #56285 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:33 PM

I trust you mean 1/2 of S LA is in the cone. The cone doesn't even touch NO...

Which goes back to what I'm attempting to encourage. Let the media hype a second, or direct NO event. Let us take the time to observe and report

And I'd like to stress that I am not bashing anyone here. If you've taken offesne at my comments, it isn't because they were intended to bash you. Consider me the calming voice of reason for now

Cheers

Edited by tpratch (Thu Sep 22 2005 12:35 PM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: General directional anomalies [Re: Jonathan Franklin]
      #56286 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:34 PM

I was wondering this yesterday and still today if there is any way or reason these storms get drawn into that loop current and or follow it as a strength souce

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

SMOKE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: USA, Ga.
      #56287 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Let us take the time to observe and report

Sounds like the meterologist/observer job description.

--------------------

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: theoretically [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #56288 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:40 PM

Quote:

I think it's impossible to exactly predict where the hurricane will end up. it's a guess...and educated one...but a guess.

Rita has slowed to 9 mph forward speed...indicative of pushing against the high....now that she is as north as she is west...she'll roll off the high eastward.....natural coriolis forces pulling her north are also pushing her west. since she has now hit the nw trajectory....the nnw, n , nne are all next.

imho

If you take a look at the upper air pattern over the last several days you'll see that the hugh High over TX has weakened considerably and the center actually shifted NW into North-Central TX. Now, there is a weakness over the FL panhandle between the weakened TX high and a building high just east of FL. This eastern high looks to be getting stronger and building to the S & SW of the storm. It looks like Rita is entering a Col region (area of weak steering flow) between the two centers of high pressure. There may be even more slowing of forward speed then we've already seen over the last 24 hours. The high over TX is forecast to move eastward and allow Rita to slide around the west side. But so far, that hasn't happened yet.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/movies/wg8dlm6/wg8dlm6java.html

--------------------
RJB

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Clermont, Fl
Re: theoretically [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #56290 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

I natural coriolis forces pulling her north are also pushing her west. ..........

imho

Rick... I posted this earlier this morning "

What is it that make all storms eventually turn north ?? I understand what is keeping her to the west but uninhibited, it would be going north correct ? Is it a weather thing or an earth thing? "

Is what you stated, my answer?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: theoretically [Re: TAZMAN]
      #56292 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:54 PM

I think I recall some time ago Clark or someone mentioning this as polar related, earths axis?

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: theoretically [Re: TAZMAN]
      #56293 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:56 PM

Please look at the attached and tell me if this is the weakness in the high that we are talking about.

http://www.esl.lsu.edu/webpics/goes/Storm/AOI0/latest_wv_loop.gif

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #56294 - Thu Sep 22 2005 12:58 PM

the higher the latitude...the less likely a hurricane will go west. curvature of the earth. the farther north they go...the more likely they will continue to do so...barring forces that are stronger. Now, if the high pressures are competing and interfering with the steering currents...or if there are none...she will follow the more northerly trend....

explained as only a true novice can....

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #56295 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:14 PM

That sometimes plays a role. Lets look at Noreaster's for a moment, they hug the eastern seaboard all the way up along the coast. And they are sometimes just as strong as a hurricane if not stronger, the low pressure never turns as it goes north.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56297 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:21 PM

My take on all this NW movement is this:

If by chance Rita is making her move to the North, the forecastors have the uneven task to report even more bad news for all the areas affected by Katrina. It seems to me that all the models now are trending more to the North and East, as the hours go by, and the contention between the high and Rita, I believe that Rita will win out just on her power alone, and she will go where she absolutly wants to go. This can and will be problematic for the forecasters cause I think they don't want this to turn, of course no one else wants it to. But again, we see mother nature in it's full fury, it's all a guessing game.

pryord1
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Navarre, FL
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: The Force 2005]
      #56298 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

My take on all this NW movement is this:

If by chance Rita is making her move to the North, the forecastors have the uneven task to report even more bad news for all the areas affected by Katrina. It seems to me that all the models now are trending more to the North and East, as the hours go by, and the contention between the high and Rita, I believe that Rita will win out just on her power alone, and she will go where she absolutly wants to go. This can and will be problematic for the forecasters cause I think they don't want this to turn, of course no one else wants it to. But again, we see mother nature in it's full fury, it's all a guessing game.

I'm not looking to borrow trouble here, but, if it does eventually move N-NNE, does it have enough room to turn even further to the east than LA? I live the the NW FL Panhandle and I thought we would catch a break on this storm. I'm beginning to become concerned again. I hope I shouldn't be!

--------------------
The key to a good life is higher thought. Challenge yourself, push your personal limits and go for the brass ring!

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: pryord1]
      #56299 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:32 PM

me either pry as i am leaving daytona beach tomorrow at noon to drive
to YOUR city for the weekend
i would say no as of now... i cant see it moving THAT far east

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
i thought galveston.. [Re: pryord1]
      #56300 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:33 PM

I doubt seriously she will head due west...to catch up on the forecasted plot of Galveston/Houston. and in a sense..the petrochemical complexes there will be spared. However, not all. at the current path...up through Baton Rouge would be equally disruptive.

I will be interesting to see if she is gonna continue to weaken. Looks to me like she is starting to regain the convection on the last satellites....

Edited by John C (Thu Sep 22 2005 04:08 PM)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator [Re: pryord1]
      #56301 - Thu Sep 22 2005 01:34 PM

Positive news if she changes course drastically... she'd slough off the Cat 5 storm surge - at least, that which she garnered while she was sub 900mb.

That being said, she hasn't turned due N yet - which would almost be required before any NE turn.

There's a strong chance the 11AM will take the path more toward the east, but it's still too early to know for certain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 80742

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center