F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
TS Philippe [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #57005 - Fri Sep 23 2005 07:46 PM

..looks to be turning to the west, toward the united states and theres an area just southeast of Philippe that they are watching within the next 36 hours, but TS warning for Bermuda, and the peath is westward?..whats going on

God Bless The Tex'

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: TS Philippe [Re: Ryan]
      #57006 - Fri Sep 23 2005 07:48 PM

Quote:

..looks to be turning to the west, toward the united states and theres an area just southeast of Philippe that they are watching within the next 36 hours, but TS warning for Bermuda, and the peath is westward?..whats going on

God Bless The Tex'

...I'm sorry, are you asking about Philippe or the subtropical disturbance controling his current motion...?

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: Hurricane Rita Approaches Texas [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #57007 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:03 PM

The west side of Rita continues to build back in... IR Loop...

and dry air is still strong to the south and west... WV loop...

Dr. Neil Frank is holding his line that the steering currents are too weak to turn her north before landfall, but he does account for the "wobble" -- if she's on a wobble to the left at the time of landfall, it's Galveston... if she's on a wobble to the right, it's Jefferson County....

He also echoed what many people have been saying on this board... there are no straight lines in nature... If hurricanes moved in straight lines, this would be much easier.... Also, IMO, it would seem that wobbles way out in the GOM are much easier to bear than wobbles that occur closer to the coast...

They again interviewed the lady on the east end of Galveston who is worried about looters... she says she's "dug in her heels" and isn't leaving....

There are also at least 9 people left on the far west end of Galveston Island... that part of the island isn't protected by a seawall -- it's very narrow and is right at sea level... there are rows of beachfront homes and 10-60 ft. of beach with nothing more than 5' high dunes, depending on the location... officials took a big truck into the area to encourage the people to leave, and reported that the water is already up to the tires across the main road...

I'm headed off to take a short nap now -- I plan on staying up with this thing through the night and into tomorrow....

--------------------
Allison

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Approaches Texas [Re: Allison]
      #57008 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:07 PM

CNN just mentiones CAT 2 possible landfall, which would be awsome..

Lets pray

Sheer is really hurting it.

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
      #57009 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:08 PM

There might be only 8 now. They pulled out someone wading around in the surf. He was drunk. He went to jail.

Marianne

Reged:
Loc: Hazel Green, AL
Re: Unusual Outlook? [Re: Margie]
      #57010 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:11 PM

Thank you Marge, but perhaps I should have been more clear. I meant historically. I know hurricanes have stalled before, but just haven't had such a graphical realization and was wondering about it...

mr jimmy

Reged:
Loc: Spring TX
Re: Hurricane Rita Approaches Texas [Re: BabyCat]
      #57011 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

There might be only 8 now. They pulled out someone wading around in the surf. He was drunk. He went to jail.

Looking at the Texas A&M Buoy 42046, south of Galveston, it has been showing a pressure increase since 9 am today. Note - this is not the start of an "Aggie" joke. The other Aggie "stick" buoy to the east has only wind speed and direction. The next "full service" device is just to the east of Galveston Bay near the shore and is indicating the expected trends as Rita approaches.

BabyCat - are you the one from down the bayou in Lafourche?

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42046

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Unusual Outlook? [Re: Marianne]
      #57012 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:24 PM

The eye of Rita is starting to come into range of the short-range displays. The long-range shows a relatively dry area in the SE quadrant of the storm, where the eyewall has been reported to be open. There is an outer band showing up better than anything in that quadrant of the storm... I'm not sure of that is something that is part of an outer eyewall or just a regular outer band that is showing up better than anything in the dry area nearby.

funky
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Unusual Outlook? [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #57013 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:37 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/lch_NTP_lp.shtml

you can already see the path of flooding about to occur by this "storm total" loop off of the lake charles radar. this loop is really eerie if you ask me.

if you ask me, Rita looks much more impressive on radar than Katrina did at this point.

--------------------
WE WILL FIX YOU N.O. --- http://media.putfile.com/KATRINA25

oil trader
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #57014 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:42 PM

On Wednesday when Rita got so fast CAT 5 from TS in less than two days, I asked what could happen to improve the situation because it seemed like an action movie turning worse and worse every hour. Since then Rita has weakened very rapidly as well, and biggest cities have left west of the forecast eye. That is wonderful.

What scares me at this moment is how confidence everybody is going trough this storm right now. You can feel it on television, in market behavior, and especially in this forum less than 12 hours before landfall (few posts, no mods appearances, etc.). On Wednesday we were up to the end of the world and today the only problem is people jammed in Texas roads. Let’s pray everything keep going in this way. Nevertheless this bipolar conduct makes me a little nervous about the end.

Psyber
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Buoy 42001 [Re: zmdz01]
      #57015 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Looks like buoy 42001 couldn't handle the 40 foot waves yesterday:

Station 42001 went adrift on 09/23/2005 and the last report from its moored position (listed above) was at 0230 GMT.

The buoy that we'd be getting readings off of right now was busted loose from Katrina. Apparently the meterological buoys in the GOM are only designed for CAT3's. The way things are going I think there is going to be a universal change in the way everyone around the GOM prepares for hurricanes. Levee's, houses, buoys, oil platforms, EVERYTHING is going to have to be redesigned.

--------------------
The safest way to deal with a potential Hurricane hitting you...is to leave and just not be there at all.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Rita Approaches Texas [Re: oil trader]
      #57016 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:54 PM

Oil Trader, I wouldnt say people are relaxing. They still know this is serious.

More Good News, Looks like NO is out of the heavy rain bands.

Every hour the storm is moving more away from NO.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Hurricane Rita Approaches Texas [Re: oil trader]
      #57017 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:54 PM

i HOPE THERE IS NO STRENGTHENING. aS IT LOOKS NOW, RIGHT FRONT QUADRANT IS GOING TO DO A NUMBER ON LAKE CHARLES AND EVEN LAFAYETTE.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Rita's Intensity [Re: Psyber]
      #57018 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:59 PM

Well, it looks as if the downgrade to a Cat 3 may have been premature. No sooner did they downgrade when recon found 129kt winds which would correlate to 135 at the surface. The central pressure has actually dropped a tad and the satellite presentation has DRAMATICALLY improved in the past 3 hours. The earlier dry-air intrusion observed has since been mixed out and the convection has blossomed with a much larger CDO with colder cloud tops.

Even the 5pm discussion hints at the fact that Rita may be intensifying. They stated that objective T-Numbers have started to come up, indicating winds are stronger than the quoted 125mph in the latest advisory. As usual, the NHC is taking the conservative road, stating that they are waiting for a trend before officially declaring Rita as a stronger hurricane.

I think they are trying to avoid the negative emotional impact of declaring Rita as once again attaining Cat 4 status unless absolutely necessary.

--Lou

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: Rita's Intensity [Re: recmod]
      #57019 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:06 PM

I agree. The IR and water vapor satellite presentation has improved of late. It even looks as though Rita fought off the dry air that was trying to rotate in from the northwest earlier. I would not be surprised to see Rita inch back up to a Cat IV before landfall. All in the path of the hurricane will be in my families thoughts and prayers.

zmdz01
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Latest Recon [Re: zacros]
      #57020 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:19 PM

Here's the latest posted recon info:

URNT12 KNHC 232100Z
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 23/2031Z
B. 28 DEG 09 MIN N
92 DEG 37 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2493 MA
D. NA
E. NA
F. 289 DEG 91 KT
G. 197 DEG 15 NM
H. 931 MB
I. 14 C/ 3055 M
J. 20 C/ 3056 M
K. 15 C/ NA
L. OPEN SOUTH
M. C25
N. 12345/7
O. 1/1 NM
P. NOAA3 2318A Rita OB 20
MAX FL WIND 124 KT NE QUAD 2037Z
EYE OPEN E THRU W

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Rita's Intensity [Re: zacros]
      #57021 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:21 PM

Rita is just struggling to hold its own at the moment. Latest pressure is up slightly to 931mb. The eyewall appears to be almost half open. Unless it can close off the eyewall, it will struggle to maintain its current intensity. FL winds still indicate 110-115 knots at the surface, but the dropsondes I have seen do not support that intensity.

There is still a tremendous amount of outflow, but the outflow pattern is no longer as symmetric as it was... it is expanding rapidly to the north while becoming slightly restricted to the SW. It looks like upper-level SW winds are going to be impinging on the the system soon. The window for strengthening may be about over. The strong outflow still would support some intensification, but there needs to be an increase in organization of the eyewall for that to occur. Time is running out for that.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Rita's Intensity [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #57022 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:33 PM

Rita looks alot like Dennis did just before landfall, and the rapid weakening that took place.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #57023 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:49 PM

Very intense burst of convection on the NW eyewall in the last few IR frames, but radar indicates that the eyewall is still having difficulty closing off on the south side.

The entire eye is now within range of the short-term Lake Charles NEXRAD. Any significant changes from here on out (both track and intensity) should be apparent from the radar presentation.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #57024 - Fri Sep 23 2005 10:08 PM

Yes but for novices who are reading to find out if aunt matilda or uncle travis are in danger, we must point out that the effects of the storm have been generated already and that even if the storm weakens, 937 mb of pressure are very, very, low and it would take the storm sitting out there winding down for another day or so to reduce the danger to the population at this point. Just know how lost I was when we first started reading the board and would wonder if this was better or worse about the storm. Television goes a long way toward creating a doubting public with exaggerated coverage of other events. Just including that this weakening storm does not mean it is going to be nothing to worry about.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 336 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 72446

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center