F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Rita [Re: danielw]
      #57246 - Sat Sep 24 2005 10:24 AM

"I apologize for the lengthy posts. These are the updated Hurricane Local Statements from the affected areas. Apparently, due to communication problems and other problems, no reports of damage or surge have been received by the NWS offices.~danielw"
Given the yeoman-like service you have contributed to this site for hours on end and on many days, the last thing in the world that you should have on your mind is the thought that you have need to apologize to us. We here are all greatly in your debt for your service to us.

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Rita [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #57248 - Sat Sep 24 2005 11:55 AM

Central Arkansas here. Skies heavy clouds but no rainfall yet. Temp has dropped to 70 with a slight intermittent breeze--a very welcome relief. Calls for 1-4" of rain this afternoon but I can't find anything on how fast. Late summer here always means the ground is like virtual concrete. Storms that dump fast and heavy mean serious issues throughout the state. Can anyone steer me to helpful info?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Rita [Re: collegemom]
      #57250 - Sat Sep 24 2005 12:50 PM

very surprised this sit is soo slow on this storm..

been up watching this all night, early morning assesment that alot of the major cities like NO, Houston, Galveston esacped the damage.

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Rita [Re: nate77]
      #57251 - Sat Sep 24 2005 01:35 PM

I hear that. Solid cloud cover and steady breeze here. I sure hope the 100's are gone for the year......

--------------------

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Rita [Re: collegemom]
      #57252 - Sat Sep 24 2005 01:38 PM

I see the GFDL and another model are bringing Rita back into the Gulf south of Alabama...could this be like Ivan last year, regenerating again?

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: MikeC]
      #57253 - Sat Sep 24 2005 02:29 PM

And what intersting that if it does regenerate into a storm again florida would possibley deal with this storm by next week.

wiley
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: hurricane expert]
      #57254 - Sat Sep 24 2005 02:49 PM

Speaking of which, NWS says there's still a chance for Phillippe to reform. If so, where is it going and isn't it odd for a storm to sit for so long, dissipate, then go north and reform over what i assume is colder water???

TheSkyGuy-in-OZ

Reged:
Loc: Australia
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: wiley]
      #57256 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:21 PM

Hi, just wondering were everybody is? during Katrina's landfall the place was packed with reports and info, but with Rita hardly any news?
anyway i hope all are well and Rita has not done to much loss of life.
A quick question:
If Rita or Phillippe redevelop will they be renamed like the TD that was before Katrina?
thanks

Stay Safe, Stay Smart, Leave before the storm.

--------------------
The Eye In The Sky

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: hurricane expert]
      #57257 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:23 PM

I hope those models are just bored because Rita has lost her figure!

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #57258 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:26 PM

Anybody on near Nachadoches? I understand she just went over taking roofs in town. Was talking to my Dad's USNA roommate from '51 when the phones went dead.

--------------------

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: TheSkyGuy-in-OZ]
      #57259 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:28 PM

I can tell you that when the situation becomes serious or catastrophic those of us who have nothing intelligent to add, back off to give the space to people who can provide guidance, or need to get guidance. When the storm is approaching from a safe location, we who have nothing important to add will conversate about the storm in order to glean facts in general about the weather. For those who are being directly affected by the storm, they either have no internet service or are protecting their families. It is not lack of interest. I have read every single post since this storm became threatening to anyone, but have posted very little. And, you can see above, I have very little to contribute.

Edited by GuppieGrouper (Sat Sep 24 2005 03:30 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #57260 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:40 PM

There's just not that much information to be had with Rita yet. Many of the hardest hit areas from the storm are likely without any means of communication, while the slow motion of the storm is keeping it unsafe for people to head out into those areas and see what has occurred. Coupled with an overnight landfall, keeping many awake into the early morning hours following the storm, there's just not going to be a lot of news coming out right now. It'll trickle out through the day today but really start to come out on Sunday, once the storm is a bit further away and more people get into the hardest hit areas.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

TheSkyGuy-in-OZ

Reged:
Loc: Australia
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #57263 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:57 PM

thanks, GuppieGrouper
I thort as much, but it was much different thro' Katrina
as this is my only source of information on this storm, I was hoping for some reports.
but it is much more important that people help each other over there (I can wait)
Hopefully this is your last big one this year
we have our season coming up (its reported to be a big one too)

Best of luck from OZ

--------------------
The Eye In The Sky

Edited by TheSkyGuy-in-OZ (Sat Sep 24 2005 04:00 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
onward then? [Re: TheSkyGuy-in-OZ]
      #57264 - Sat Sep 24 2005 04:29 PM

center is inland near jasper, tx right now. should be up near marshall as a a tropical storm late this afternoon, and weakening to a depression near texarkana overnight. system keeps moving and the models stalling/looping have shifted more eastward, so now it's a slow east jog to ms. the potential for it to move back out into the gulf is advertised by some models, but their newer reluctance to turn it back has me thinking it's inland to stay. one note is how the media has already reported that new orleans got off better than expected... that they hardly got the rain they'd expected. of course, anybody up on current events will notice that Rita is still dumping a lot of rain and should get new orleans wet intermittently through the next few days. the tandem surge/heavy rainfall threat appears low, so they're right in at least that respect... but the threat of more trouble for new orleans hasn't gone away. they called the storm a bust just a little early on august 29th; hopefully they aren't going to repeat the mistake less than a month later.
kinda wondering if philippe will be back. the swirl from it has been looped around inside the broader low that 'absorbed' it, but it's about as absorbed as a rock would be in your stomach. if it serves as the main cell around which a tropical system generates out there, i'd consider it a regeneration of philippe.. though not sure what the NHC would call it. whole mess is moving northeast now.
wave out near 33w appears to be the only other game in town. it won't develop anything for a couple more days if at all, so we're probably down to tracking a decaying Rita for the weekend. enjoy the peace and quiet.. MJO is switched 'on' right now and as soon as the basin shear ticks down a notch in places we'll see some more action.
HF 1629z24september

ssd has a too weak rating on the 33w wave/low. still probably won't do anyting before monday. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sat Sep 24 2005 04:30 PM)

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #57265 - Sat Sep 24 2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

as this is my only source of information on this storm, I was hoping for some reports.

http://www.click2houston.com has a live video stream up, but since Houston was spared from a direct impact there coverage right now is more focused on traffic jams resulting from people trying to get back into the city (no gas). Wind is still gusting to around 40 mph in Port Authur TX where the eye came ashore, combined that with the number of trees down and they simply can't get into the most damaged areas yet. Lake Charles, LA took a hard hit, check the main news sites like CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, ect. Seems the coastal flooding (storm surge) is not as bad as first feared, it's mostly wind damage so far.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #57267 - Sat Sep 24 2005 05:27 PM

I think the other thing is that the coastline of LA most affected is sparsely populated to start and probably close to fully evacuated which is a big difference from the areas East of Katrina's landfall. For Rita most of the media was on the west of the landfall location but for Katrina there was coverage on both sides too.

I think it's safe to say that there is lots of wind damage in a big area. Surge, especially well inland at low elevation (where the people are) is the big question right now I guess. It was forecast to be high, but I haven't seen info to support or discount that yet.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: bobbutts]
      #57268 - Sat Sep 24 2005 05:42 PM

Just saw the Mayor of Sulphur LA on TWC say that he was not aware of any major surge flooding so that's good news.. Flying around the area east of Lake Charles and south of I-10 in google earth it pretty much appears to be swamps and farms all the way to the coast. Makes me a little more optimistic about the surge impacts.

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Texas Oil and Gas Assoc. [Re: bobbutts]
      #57269 - Sat Sep 24 2005 05:54 PM

Texas Oil and Gas Association just came on CBS and asked that people NOT try to return to Houston yet. They said there is a shortage of gas along the evacuation corridors. Since they are running supplies out of Corpus right now, the priority is for emergency vehicles.

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: JMII]
      #57270 - Sat Sep 24 2005 05:59 PM

KLVI radio in Beaumont has a live internet feed... they occasionally switch to KTRH in Houston, but they are still on directly from Beaumont too...

--------------------
Allison

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Rita Nearing Landfall at the Texas / Louisiana Border [Re: bobbutts]
      #57271 - Sat Sep 24 2005 07:15 PM

It is not "swamps and farms."

Go to mapquest and zoom in. There are lots of tiny communities throughout the area, which is lowlands with lakes and bayous.

Cameron Parish alone is home to about 10,000 people and approximately 1/3 of its land is water. About 13,000 people come to visit for the annual Cajun festival, and about 20,000 come per month to the wildlife refuges there, in much the same way that many go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in MN.

Vermillion Parish just to the east has over 50,000 people.

News reports say that Terrebone Parish took 7 to 8 feet of water.

Water is continuing to rise in Lake Charles.

From Steve Gregory's blog: " we are again seeing 'initial media' reports of not so bad -- only to find out hours later that there was and is extremely bad damage -- but the media just wasn't there. Overall -- it appears this storm produced the same type and scope of damage that Ivan did last year "

He also said that as of 11:30am a strong feeder band was still producing gusts of hurricane strength to the east of Lafayette all the way down to Grand Isle (which is the tip of Jefferson Parish). Since then it appears this band has moved north and is over Jackson MS.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sat Sep 24 2005 07:52 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 53917

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center