F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Vortex message [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58882 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:37 AM

Hello, idiot noob here
Been lurking awhile though, found this place last year

My question for the hurricane wizards is:
"How does the storm intensity affect the steering of the storm?"

For example, in reading all the posts in this thread there is quite a bit of mention about how west Wilma is in relation to when the trough picks it up, that that would make her go more southerly

BUT, if she is at a high (extreme) intensity, would that not correct some of that westerly movement in relation to the overall long-term forecast track?
I mean, since it's so strong, will that intensity counteract any westerly movements and that is why the track is where it is, because they pre-planned this level of intensity from the beginning?

Thanks,
Your new stupid noob
Dave
Boynton Beach, FL
Projected exit point off the east coast for Wilma

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Check This Out... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58883 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:39 AM

WOW.. Thats interesting! Thanks Coleen:)

Re: the models further North. Yeah, I see that as well

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Accuweather Post [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58884 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:40 AM

Wilma is certainly going to town right now, but I'm not sure how long it will last. There is still dry air lurking to the north, and the outflow still seems restricted somewhat to the west. The eye is so small that it could come apart rather quickly if it falters. I guess we'll find out in the next few hours.

Considering that this is still at least 4 days away from potential landfall in Florida, there could be several cycles in intensity between now and then. Whatever Wilma peaks at when this cycle of intensification is over, it will very likely come down some from that at least temporarily. Subsequent cycles in intensity will likely occur after that, but predicting the details of those is pretty much impossible.

As it usually does after a storm commences rapid intensification, the latest SHIPS guidance has gone berserk, bringing Wilma to 129 knots by 48 hours and maintaining most of that intensity until landfall:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=WBCCHGHUR

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Vortex message [Re: The Force 2005]
      #58885 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

As I recall, this is a site for open discussion.

You are correct...Open Discussion of Tropical Weather. Not why your post was graveyarded. I have read the posts in question. I didn't send them to the grave yard. But obviously the MOD or ADMIN that did send them there thought they were out of context, wishcasting, or wave mongering. I can't speak for that person.

If you wish to discuss your posts please use the PM feature to exchange information.

Wilma, is apparently in a Rapid Intensification mode and needs to be watched carefully. Read Colleen's previous posts and please don't waste Any time on your preparations. If you have time to go fuel up tonight. You might want to do that. As the lines will be tremendous tomorrow, and I'm sure they will raise the prices. As Colleen commented.

Now back to our Regular Programming.~danielw[b/]

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Vortex message [Re: engicedave]
      #58886 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Hello, idiot noob here
Been lurking awhile though, found this place last year

No one's an idiot

Quote:

My question for the hurricane wizards is:
"How does the storm intensity affect the steering of the storm?"

The pressure level of the storm effects what steering layers of the atmosphere effect it. I'm not a met, so I can't tell you "why" this is, but it is. To see what the steering layers are, take a look at CMISS: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/winds-dlm.html - the pressure of the storm is under "for TC MSLP of..." on each row.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Another Look [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58887 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:41 AM

Here's the Visible for those two features I was talking about:

NOAA VISIBLE WESTERN US

These may be why the models are shifting more to the north. I don't see them coming together to keep Wilma pushed further south. What do you guys think?
For anyone who missed my earlier posts, these two features are being keyed in on by the local forecasters as to why Wilma would stay further south or move further north. I explained the reasoning in the WV post.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Vortex message [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58888 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:42 AM

Random,

You make a very valid and correct statement about my posts. I guess I need just a little more to back it up. But here is my point, what if the NHC comes back with an update that says Wilma wind's have increased to over 130 MPH. do we as hobbyist's tell the NHC that what proof do you have when they said otherwise that this would occur. That is why it's called an open discussion. I will rest and get back to the storm itself. If I offended anyone on this forum, well, please accept my sicere apologies.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Another Look [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58889 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:44 AM

Yes colleen i saw your posts and agree totally. i hope hank or clark or someone can tell us we are wrong and this isnt gonna trend more north tomorrow. at any rate I for 1 am gonna heed the warnings and gas up just in case, everything else is in order so might as well i can always use it in the lawnmower if need be

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Vortex message [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58890 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:44 AM

Very well explained and tactfully done as always!

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
      #58891 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:47 AM

So what you are saying, Colleen, is that the trough over the NM/TX border will not make it in time to push Wilma to the NE as it is now forcasted; therefore makeing that NE turn later and further North than indicated? I agree with you. Does anybody know exactly how fast the trough is currently moving?

--------------------
Matt

Edited by chase 22 (Wed Oct 19 2005 12:49 AM)

iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #58893 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:51 AM

The computer models don't look to be going up to the north, BAMM was just ran and it is the exact same, if anything the storm will move more south of florida because it has yet to make that definite turn to the north as lyons said on the WTC. I'm just hoping that this storm goes south of florida and out to sea.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Just some thought....yea right... [Re: Bloodstar]
      #58895 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:51 AM

You are right. No need to freak out but I can tell you that with Rita I had my reservations 120 hours out and I am glad I did.
So, if you anywhere in the cone decide where you will go now and make plans for it. You can always cancel later.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Just some thought....yea right... [Re: jeangfl]
      #58896 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:52 AM

Be sure and call the hotel direct for reservations.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Another Look [Re: chase 22]
      #58897 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:53 AM

I somehow think that the mets are whistling in the dark about those western features. I can not see how they would be able to combine unless one of them slows down or speeds up.
I believe the best hope for a good outcome would be for the storm to max out before it gets near Florida.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Just some thought....yea right... [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #58898 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:53 AM

Yeah, major storm here we come. Just caught this quote off an AP wire report:

Quote:

"We just don't see why it should not become a major hurricane, if not a Category 4 hurricane" over the warm waters, said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. "That should get people's attention."

P.S. - Mods: When you move a post to another forum any reply gets moved too. Just happened to me. Wierd!

I'm sorry about that. I tried to move it as fast as I could. Computers are only sooo fast. You can copy and paste it back here if you wish.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 19 2005 01:03 AM)

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Another Look [Re: chase 22]
      #58899 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:53 AM

Colleen, I think Dennis Phillips is thinking the same scenario. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
      #58900 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:54 AM

I saw the same thing on the news stations tonight. I agree with you Colleen that it doesnt look like the two will hook up. The one in the gulf of alaska would have to really speed up to catch the other low. Unfortunately for all of us on the west coast, this is not going to become more clear on landfall until i feel there will be little time for evacs and preps. I would suggest to all on west coast to start getting there preps going. Better to be prepasred rather getting caught with your pants down. I am pullin out the boards tomorrow and get them at the ready, so that they can go up at a moments notice. Gassin up in morning. Hopefully for us here in the tampa area it will stay south. But I am not sold on that just yet.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
      #58901 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:54 AM

I checked the 18Z runs and GFDL and GFS still have Wilma going through or south of Ft. Myers. The GFDL is the Ft. Myers area and GFS is south of there. The features that the NHC was talking about was a system in California, high pressure in gulf area and a trough...nothing was said about Alaska. The NHC said the system in Cal was already doing what they said it would do and the high pressure system in gulf is doing what they forecasted. That should complete the northward turn....the NE turn depends on the trough....all models are still keeping with that trough because they are still pin-pointing southern fla - ft myers and southward.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

nicolew
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Florida Training Exercise - Hurricane Wilma in 2002!!! [Re: MikeC]
      #58902 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:56 AM

Was surfing around on the Internet and found this:

http://www.dca.state.fl.us/bpr/preparedness/wilma/hurricane_wilma_narrative.htm

It seems Florida did a training exercise with a simulated "Hurricane Wilma" back in 2002!

Most of the discussion here is about landfall on the southwest Florida coast - if that happens, what kind of effects would we be feeling in Miami?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Just some thought....yea right... [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58903 - Wed Oct 19 2005 12:57 AM

Well, the METS at the NHC are now saying that. But they said a couple days back that it would not intensify to this level. What do we call this latest report, SPECULATION!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 229 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79268

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center