F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #58966 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:28 AM

HAS ANYONE TAKEN A LOOK AT THE A98E MODEL? OBVIOUSLY THAT IS THE BEST CASE SCENARIO FOR US ALL, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW ACCURATE THIS MODEL IS? AS FOR THE MODELS MOVING NORTH THEY LOOK THE SAME TO ME, LBAR MAYBE A LITTLE FURTHER NORTH TAKING THE STORM BETWEEN TAMPA AND FT, MYERS, BUT BAMM AND BAMD ARE QUITE CONSISTENT IN BRINGING THE STORM OVER SOUTH FLORIDA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Another Look [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58967 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:29 AM

Actually a good track as far as development/buildings/people, to have it come in right there in the Everglades. The natural ecosystem there has had years and years to adjust to surviving powerful hurricane landfalls.

Looks like convection peaked with the 0115Z, which was the most impressive of the wv images from the past couple hours. The central core has that rounded rising-donut appearance right now that I've come to associate with Cat 4 intensity. I have a strong belief that recon will find a pressure in the 930s.

Note: I meant the 1am recon mentioned earlier. The 11pm gives an est pressure of 945mb.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Wed Oct 19 2005 02:38 AM)

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #58968 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:32 AM

I know it doesn't mean much, but i checked several buoys in the area projected to be the landfall point and the water temp is 80-83 degrees F. I also checked a buoy way out in the gulf - off the Ft. Myers shore and the water out there is 82 F.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: damejune2]
      #58969 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:34 AM

11 p m out at wunderground

...Wilma continues to rapidly strengthen...should become a major
hurricane in a few hours...

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200524.public.html

winds up to 110 Estimated minimum central pressure is 945 mb...27.91 inches.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
      #58970 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:35 AM

Sorry, don't understand...I see the same water temps all day.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #58971 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:38 AM

That would be a good scenario! As far as the other models being consistent in keeping it further south, keep in mind that sometimes they do not pick up on the speed or strength of the other players ... like the ones we are talking about tonight. If the A98E is the only one doing that, that's an outlier.
I believe Denis Phillips said we will know by tomorrow whether the two features in the Western US will combine. That's when we will a *pretty* good idea of what's to come down the road.
The models are only as good as what information is put into them...some don't pick up features, some overstrengthen them, some understrengthen them. That's why it's usually two days out before we have good idea of where the general area of landfall will be.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: Colleen A.]
      #58972 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:40 AM

11pm Advisory:
( http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/190231.shtml )

Quote:

REPEATING THE 11 PM EDT POSITION...16.8 N... 82.1 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...110 MPH. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 945 MB.

from the advisory~danielw

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 19 2005 02:44 AM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: dave foster]
      #58973 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:41 AM

Those are current environment temps. Reference to throughout day is pressure and winds.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58974 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:41 AM

The NOAA g4 jet flew its first synoptic surveillance mission on
Wilma this evening...and it will be interesting to see the impact
on the 00Z model runs.

i think forcaster Beven has been reading our posts .....

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: NWS Tampa Area Forecast Discussion [Re: danielw]
      #58975 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:42 AM

Quote:

MOST RECENT SUITE OF MODEL GUIDANCE IN REMARKABLE AGREEMENT FAVORING THE WORST IMPACTS IN SOUTH FLORIDA PENINSULA/KEYS BY THE END OF THE WEEK.
HOWEVER...IT`S FAR TOO SOON FOR ANYONE TO
LET THEIR GUARD DOWN GIVEN THAT THE ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF THE "PLAYERS" IN THIS EVENT
...UPPER LEVEL FEATURES ACROSS THE WESTERN U.S. AND BEYOND...IS STILL TO COME. SLIGHT DEVIATIONS IN TIMING AND INTENSITY OF ANY ONE OF THESE SYSTEMS WILL DETERMINE WHERE THE MOST IMPACT WILL BE EXPERIENCED WHEN Wilma APPROACHES. STAY TUNED
emphasis added~danielw

I'm just wondering; if the storm continues WNW to NW, that should or could put the northern scenario into play. Experts tell me if I'm "exhausting" hot air or not....

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 19 2005 02:46 AM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #58976 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:45 AM

People plz try to stop with the tropical model suites ( LBAR,BAMN,BAMD, etc...) those models are horrible and run in paralle with the GFS......if a system goes the direction one of those goes,,then its just a couincidence.. Anyways the main models are the NOGAPS, GFDL,ECMF,GFS,UKMET, CMC,, those are the global models.
Like I been also saying,,tonights 0Z runs are what too look at and also every data input on next flights...Now we will have a General ( but not exact) Idea of what and where this might do.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: scottsvb]
      #58977 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:48 AM

Discussion's out, and a wow in it - something you don't see NHC saying all that often:

Quote:

THE INTENSITY FORECAST HAS BECOME MORE COMPLICATED. THE CURRENT RAPID INTENSIFICATION AND FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT SHOULD BRING Wilma TO CATEGORY FOUR STATUS IN THE NEXT 24 HR...AND IT WOULD NOT BE A SURPRISE TO SEE IT REACH CATEGORY FIVE BEFORE IT BOTTOMS OUT.
HOWEVER...SSM/I DATA SHOWS THAT THE CONVECTION WITH THE EYEWALL COVERS A VERY SMALL AREA...WITH A DISTINCT DRY MOAT ALREADY PRESENT OUTSIDE THE EYEWALL. OUTSIDE OF THAT IS A BROKEN CONVECTIVE BAND
THAT AIRCRAFT DATA SHOWS IS ASSOCIATED WITH AN OUTER WIND MAXIMUM.
THUS...IT APPEARS LIKELY THAT Wilma WILL GO THROUGH A CONCENTRIC EYEWALL CYCLE DURING THE NEXT 24-48 HR...AND SINCE THE INNER EYE IS SO SMALL THERE COULD BE NOTABLE WEAKENING UNTIL THE OUTER EYEWALL
CONTRACTS. SINCE THESE CYCLES ARE HARD TO TIME...THE INTENSITY FORECAST WILL HOLD AT 125 KT FROM 24-48 HR. WHEN Wilma MOVES INTO
THE GULF OF MEXICO...IT SHOULD ENCOUNTER SLIGHTLY COOLER SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES AND GRADUALLY INCREASING VERTICAL SHEAR. THIS SHOULD CAUSE A SLOW WEAKENING...ALTHOUGH IT IS PROBABLE THAT Wilma WILL STILL BE A MAJOR HURRICANE WHEN IT REACHES THE FLORIDA PENINSULA.

Entire discussion: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/190236.shtml

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 19 2005 02:51 AM)

harmlc.ath.cx
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Longwood
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: scottsvb]
      #58978 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:48 AM

It looks like the NHC cone has shifted it a hair south. Will we see a shift in the cone more north come wednesday morning?

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #58979 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:51 AM

Question: NHC mentions SSMI microwave imagery. Is this the data they are talking about?

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_hom...CT=1degreeticks
(That is the 85hz image from SSMIS - the question is, is 85hz the microwave one? I don't feel like hunting my Optics book to look up the frequency range on microwaves right now )

Edited by Random Chaos (Wed Oct 19 2005 02:53 AM)

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #58980 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:53 AM

What does 00Z run stand for.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Earlier (18Z) Models [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58981 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:58 AM

Well there it is, from the 11pm:

IT IS PROBABLE THAT Wilma WILL STILL BE A MAJOR HURRICANE WHEN IT REACHES THE FLORIDA PENINSULA.

Have to add I laughed when I read the opening statement. In stressful situations like this the odd bit of humor that they can insert into the discussions is something I do appreciate. Seems like their formula is to put it in the first sentence and then get down to business.

An almost guaranteed ERC will make the next 36 hrs interesting. Also noted in the advis that my earlier take on the increase to Cat 4 coming Wed aft/evng appears to be the thinking at NHC as well (even if she peaks tonight/early tomorrow morning as a Cat 4 or 5, then an ERC, and possibly coming back up to a Cat 4 tomorrow when reaching the warmer deep water).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
11PM Updates [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #58982 - Wed Oct 19 2005 02:59 AM

The Category Five reference isn't used very often.
However...it has been used two or three times This Year.

The cone will shift North, South East and West. From now until Wilma is no longer a Tropical System.

Please remember...Do Not look at the thin line in the cone. If the Cone covers your area. You are within the dangerous area of a Landfalling Hurricane and it's aftermath. The cone can widen to include areas not previously affected/ included in the Cone.

Please take this time to prepare your property and make preparations for evacuations.
As of the 11PM Advisory...The Whole Florida Peninsula is in the 5 Day Cone.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT24/refresh/AL2405W5_sm2+gif/023803W_sm.gif

Circinae

Reged:
Loc: Naples, Florida
      #58983 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:01 AM

Our area has been very lucky so far, but I am wondering if this storm has our name on it. I just read the 11 PM discussion. What is so dreaded about a pinhole eye?
Thanks

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Wilma Becomes Season's 12th Hurricane [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #58984 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:01 AM

Quote:

HAS ANYONE TAKEN A LOOK AT THE A98E MODEL? .....

Here's what I could dig up on 98E

Quote:

NHCA98E -- Climatology-based "model". Not really a model, just compares the current storm position to previous storms and "guesses" where it might go. Completely useless everywhere.

may I politely ask that you remove caps lock if you post again.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #58985 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:06 AM

They have shifted the track a bit to the left at 11pm, through the next 48 hours, then back to what the models were at earlier. I would imagine that the shift to the left is due to the WNW motion that it is currently on right now.
I am with Scott: right now, the most important thing is to see what the models come out with later on. That's when you'll see a track shift for the Florida peninsula either way. Remember, it's only Tuesday night...this isn't even supposed to make landfall until Saturday. So trying to project out a path right now of an exact landfall is impossible. Too many varying scenarios. If we're in the cone, then we are just as vulnerable as southwest Florida.
I have to say: I'm not very excited about the intensity forecast. A category 3 at landfall is going to be a major problem for whoever gets it.
Best advice? Stay alert, be prepared. In the meantime, try to get some sleep because it's going to be a rough road ahead mentally. Believe me, I know!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79105

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center