F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Rapid intensifying [Re: misunderestimator]
      #59338 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:20 PM

Actually, at 11:00 am yesterday they mentioned it: "A HIGH
LIKELIHOOD OF RAPID STRENGTHENING IS INDICATED BY THE SHIPS RAPID
INTENSIFICATION INDEX..."

Not sure if they expected what we got though..LOL!

Edited by emackl (Wed Oct 19 2005 03:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: WV Loop [Re: Colleen A.]
      #59340 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:23 PM

Ty Lake for that,, I use to have it back in the days but lost it. I use to use that for my quick NOGAPS run I liked to use.
Speaking of the 6z your right,,its back near FT MYERS..to Vero Beach..
12z coming in now,,and thru 72hrs,, its still in gulf but might be heading towards Sarasota? Will find out in 10-15 min.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: WV Loop [Re: dave foster]
      #59341 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:24 PM

eyewall breakdown? not likely, as it is common for the cloud tops to warm as it gets later into daylight

Also, Mitch is not a good example to use for a northward turn not happening--Mitch was forecast to go much further west (even during the northward part) then Wilma, and Mitch was forecast to go WNW-NW, not NNW-NE

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Here we go! [Re: misunderestimator]
      #59342 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:24 PM

Looking at the WV loop it appears that the "connection" between the Alaska low and the one over what was the NV/CA line is not going to happen.

The CA/NV low is moving ENE, and is now over central Colorado. The ridging looks pretty weak and getting weaker - the forecast for it to collapse looks to be verifying.

The second impulse of energy is now over roughly Oregon, and is clearly not going to "catch" the first one. So the "merged trough" scenario looks like its down the chute, and we're going to get amplification - as I expected - instead.

The models have responded to this by turning Wilma more towards the north after it exits the peninsula, with the "endpoint" of the most recent GFDL run now impacting squarely on the Maine coast, and 100kt winds just off the coast at impact (!) This forecast predicts tropical storm force winds from basically Mobile all the way up the atlantic seaboard starting at 00Z on the 23rd.

I still think the track is perhaps a bit south - but not by much. I also believe that given the evolving pattern above there is a significant risk of a "raking" storm that runs up the seaboard while remaining offshore, eventually phasing with the front and producing a hellacious coastal storm event in the Northeast.

The big story on this one may not be the impact on Florida - although that certainly looks to be significant - it may be what happens up the seaboard a couple of days later......

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Here we go! [Re: Genesis]
      #59343 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:28 PM

Genesis, given what you're saying, is it fair to say the further west she goes now the further north landfall in FL should be?

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
      #59344 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:29 PM

I literally did a spit take when I saw the numbers this morning. I'm a tad worried - my parents are on a week-long cruise, which was already diverted from the west caribbean to the east caribbean. I'm supposed to be picking them up at 8am Sunday in Ft Lauderdale, heh.

This has been a damned amazing season.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Edited by leetdan (Wed Oct 19 2005 03:30 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #59345 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:32 PM

Yes, I saw that too and that is why I posted those WV loops earlier.
Our local NBC met just said that once Wilma emerges into the GOM, it is quite likely it will expand even more than it has now, quite possibly covering the entire peninsula of Florida. There's a happy thought, huh?
What I also found interesting whas that at 8am (or pm) Saturday it is forecasted to be a 4, and 24 hours later it is going to be in the open Atlantic as a 2. So what the heck are we supposed to get windwise?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

orlandocanewatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: E Central Florida
Re: Here we go! [Re: evergladesangler]
      #59346 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:35 PM

I sure hope not....coming further North that is....let's all just wish it south of the Keyes right through the straights....not that it is likely but clearly the best scenario for all of us !

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Here we go! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #59350 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:38 PM

What worries me is the speed. Glad she'll be gone sooner but by the time we know her intentions she'll be coming in so fast. I'm worried many people will wait to long to make plans. Especially if they're watching that black line that we all know to not watch.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Here we go! [Re: orlandocanewatcher]
      #59351 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:38 PM

The eye is really starting to bounce around and the system seems to be losing some convective symmetry, so an ERC could be imminent.

flarrfan
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Spring Hill FL
Surge [Re: orlandocanewatcher]
      #59352 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:38 PM

How would the currently projected sharp right turn affect surge? Common sense tells this layman that a Cat 5 surge being pushed in one direction would likely dissipate considerably with the kind of turn and weakening the models are showing. Ivan, Katrina, Rita all came ashore in a relatively straight path from the Cat 5 status, with just a slight NE jog to all of them toward the end. However, if the models are right with Wilma, I have a problem seeing that Cat 5 surge lasting through such a sharp turn. Other thoughts?

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas County
Re: slight adjustment north at 11 [Re: damejune2]
      #59353 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:41 PM

Does this mean that the folks here in the St Pete/Tampa area can breath a sigh of relief?

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: Here we go! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #59354 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:43 PM

Wilma is certainly appears to be going through an ERC. Dvorak, IR, and WV all show a less intense storm. There are, however, large convective bands starting to spiral around the CDO again, probably starting the expansion of the windfield that people have been predicting would happen to the small core of extremely fast winds. If it completes this ERC before it leaves the perfect conditions required for a cat 5, then it may become a large cat 5 like Rita or Katrina, but its unlikely.

Wilma is also going through the cyclonic loops that someone already said. It's been through one already and is finishing an even larger one. Thats what causing its current motion to look SW or even S. I suspect in the next few frames it will turn E, then N and finally back to NW. So far the southen track is a jog, but we need to keep our eyes on it. It could be the brake us in S. FL need.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Here we go! [Re: emackl]
      #59355 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:44 PM

With regards to not enough time to prepare; what the hell are people waitng for. You should know what you're going to do and when you're going to do it. It's a lot of work, but not brain surgery. Err on the side of caution.

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: slight adjustment north at 11 [Re: StPeteBill]
      #59356 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

Does this mean that the folks here in the St Pete/Tampa area can breath a sigh of relief?

I wouldn't think yet. You are still in the cone. Until she turns, I don't think anybody should consider themselves out of the woods! Remember Charlie last year. It was thought he was going into Tampa, and then hit south of there.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
      #59357 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:49 PM

NO ONE CAN BREATHE A SIGH OF RELIEF! All of Florida is under the gun. Just like Charley(Which this is not!) a hurricane can make an unpredicted turn into a different place then expected. Even a small jog a couple hundred miles from the coast could make a HUGE difference in where this thing comes ashore. Relief comes when you see that it has made landfall somewhere else, unless you are where it made landfall.

StPeteBill
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas County
Re: slight adjustment north at 11 [Re: OcalaKT]
      #59358 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:50 PM

I all so well remember Charley, everyone here ran to Orlando to only experience the storm over there. What are the currents looking like that are suppose to curve the storm?

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: slight adjustment north at 11 [Re: OcalaKT]
      #59360 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:53 PM

Saw the JB "free" post today. He is saying much bigger windfield than Charley, but obviously not as intense at the center. He also believes that it will move slower across Florida than currently progged, even slower than he thought yesterday, probably with the idea of the negatively tilted trough having it lag behind the "pull". He thinks it will exit near Cape Canaveral Sunday night though, then a growing likelihood of a party in the NE. We'll see.

debwire

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
      #59361 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:54 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe it's my imagination, though, but the models appear to have landfall occurring more north than previous, putting the Tampa Bay area more at risk. Even our strike probabilities have increased (and will continue to increase I suppose as Wilma gets closer to Florida)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIASPFAT4+shtml/191439.shtml

Am I seeing this correctly? (Yes, I realize it's too early to tell, but the path doesn't appear to be as far south anymore).

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/145238.shtml?5day?large
and
http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/archive/model/AL242005mltsth.gif
and
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurrica...;imagetype=move

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #59362 - Wed Oct 19 2005 03:55 PM

checking out the early runs of the NOGAPS and GFS,,,,,The NOGAPS I cant get updated more then 72 hrs out,, but by then its near its 6z run maybe heading slightly more NE towards Sarasota, but hard to tell....GFS is out only 42 as of this,, it actually is much further west then its previous runs making a landfall just south of Cancun....I think this model is alittle slow but is correct in being more w towards Cancun, I think it might go just N though as its alittle too far south, time will tell and hopefully I can see more of the NOGAPS soon enough.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 69413

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center