F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Records [Re: meranto]
      #59219 - Wed Oct 19 2005 09:46 AM

Well, it's been interesting watching this thing break records while it has been out in the middle of the ocean with thankfully only a very small area affected by hurricane-force winds. I'm not sure what would be best as far as when the inevitable weakening commences... if it starts soon, there will be more time for it to try to reorganize over the warm waters to its immediate NW, while if it hangs on for awhile, it may not have much of a chance to reorganize before conditions become less favorable.

Figures that the first W storm in history will end up having its name retired. Good thing it wasn't Alpha... having to retire a letter from the Greek alphabet would have simply been ridiculous (knock on wood).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wurkey1

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #59220 - Wed Oct 19 2005 09:55 AM

Cheers, appreciate that!!! Good luck there!!!

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: wurkey1]
      #59221 - Wed Oct 19 2005 09:57 AM

I cannot gurantee the weather. But the middle of November is usualy beautiful here in Orlando. I would keep your plans "on".

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Records [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #59223 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:04 AM

Did Wilma hit 884-881 in the same general vicinity as when Gilbert hit 888?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #59224 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:04 AM

If Wilma stays a major hurricane, how easy will it be to make that sharp NE turn? Is it easier or more difficult to change direction when strong compared to a weaker storm?
Thanks, Jackie

BullitNutz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #59225 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:04 AM

Seconding "Damn fine weather here in Orlando during Autumn."

It's very nice. Not cold, but not blazing hot, not all THAT humid, etc. Plus, we have all sorts of cool stuff to do. I recommend the indoor skydiving thing on International Drive, along with Islands of Adventure, Disney, etc.

If your children are reasonably grown up (teens) I'd also recommend Halloween Horror Nights at Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios.

I'm wondering how Wilma will end up, is this new left shift in the track a sign of another "constant shift" as it was earlier, eventually moving all the way from landfall in the Yucatan to Florida? Given, she's far from landfall now, and was even further then, but are there any reasons to believe that she will make landfall in, say, Pasco?

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
      #59226 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:05 AM

I cannot believe Wilam will retain her intensity of her small eye for very long. Maybe another 12-24 hours. Once she hits the higher latitudes, the colder SSTs, and the front, I hope she will weaken rapidly - for all of our sakes in the FL peninsula.

wurkey1

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: BullitNutz]
      #59227 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:09 AM

My two girls are 8 and 6 ( well almost 7 and apparently that counts for a lot!!! ) and they are absolutley bouncing as each day gets closer and to have to cancel if the hurricane gets too bad or lingers would be a huge disappointment.
My wife and i have been here before, prior to kids, and loved the area, the people and the weather, fingers crossed!!!!

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: emackl]
      #59228 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:10 AM

I agree. I am in Orlando this week working and the weather is beautiful. Watching this hurricane has been nothing short of amazing. I would think though that a hurricane that can deepend this rapidly can also weaken this rapidly. We have seen it with several other hurricanes this year. Once they start interacting with land and stronger steering currents, they seem to lose steam. Still quite an impressive display this year in the Gulf and the Caribbean.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: zacros]
      #59229 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:16 AM

Can someone confirm my reasoning. The more west this goes, the more likely it will be picked up the front earlier than expected and the more weakening it will undergo before making landfall. On the other hand, the more northerly the track, the more likely it will have more strength when it makes landfall. I am not sure of the wesrt or north track will effect the location of landfall. I think that is more of a function of the location of the front and theh lattitude of Wilma at the time of interaction.

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Records [Re: danielw]
      #59230 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:23 AM

Quote:

Where is LIPhil when you need him?

Do you mean that moderator person? Long Island Phil?

Up to now I'd been assuming he was censured.

No need to show me the door again. And good luck.

(And thanks.)

Edited by Spoken (Wed Oct 19 2005 10:28 AM)

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: BullitNutz]
      #59231 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:25 AM

NO Pasco!!!

Wow, did I get a surprise at 4:55 this morning. Now, after my long drive to work I find out that you all stayed up and I missed it. Dang it.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw TWC this morning was OMG!!!!! I am fairly sure that was not expected - nah - positive. I'm down to dial up at home UGH - that will make this weekend even more worrisome. I will depend heavily on what I read here.

I am still having a problem buying into that hard straight line right hook. I am not good at "seeing" the set up of fronts/troughs but I don't remember seeing a cane do quite that.

Semi off topic -
Just a couple of funnies that I have heard the last day or so - both from local mets
" and this is our exclusive GFDL model we are showing you" (that was yesterday) exclusive???
"she can't get any stronger and will lose strength rapidly now" (this morning) riiiiight
LOL

Remember - it's the cone - not the line. She's a biggie!

Just checked the wv loop - she's HUGE!

Edited by Hootowl (Wed Oct 19 2005 10:30 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: Hootowl]
      #59232 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:38 AM

Quote:

Wow, did I get a surprise at 4:55 this morning. Now, after my long drive to work I find out that you all stayed up and I missed it. Dang it.
The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw TWC this morning was OMG!!!!! I am fairly sure that was not expected - nah - positive. I'm down to dial up at home UGH - that will make this weekend even more worrisome. I will depend heavily on what I read here.
Remember - it's the cone - not the line. She's a biggie!

The FIRST thing that crossed MY mind cannot be repeated in this forum. (hint, it starts with an "F").

I think I'm in shock. One of the computer models forecasted on Saturday that we would be dealing with a cat 5 on Tuesday, so I don't really believe anyone should be shocked, but this season has just been insane. Still, the pin-hole eye was a dead giveaway that Wilma was on its way to surpassing Gilbert. The question now becomes when will an EWRC begin and how much will Wilma ultimately weaken. I'm not going to speculate about it getting stronger, it's just not fathomable. Looking at the IR4 loop currently, you can't get a more impressive cloud pattern - you can only get a BIGGER one.

Sadly... and I don't say this lightly and I'm not a MET so it's purely speculation... but... I think we can burn the models now. They (the models) have insufficient information to accurately predict what will happen in something they have never seen before - and they have obviously never seen Wlma before. And... as I said yesterday... I very much remember Gilbert, which is the only basis for comparison in terms of storms or forecast track. Gilbert was forecast to hit Florida, much the same way Wilma now is.

Don't take that as a call for panic. Just pay attention to what the storm is doing. The models have shifted northward again, which puts Tampa back in play and may reduce the risk to Miami, but honestly with a storm like Wilma, if it hits Tampa dead-on it will potentially cause major destruction over all of the peninsula because it's just so big and powerful.

I haven't seen a wind field... but I presume that the incredible winds are limited to a very tiny area around the 2nm eye. Hopefully it will - very soon - caved in on itself. I shutter to think what the next recon will bring.

ETA: Please remember... even though Wilma will by all that is sensible and reasonable and right with the world weaken we hope... the storm surge will not drop off to the level it would otherwise be with a cat 3 storm... Katrina was an excellent demonstration of this. Since the surge is (I presume) generated well ahead of landfall, it doesn't drop off when the winds do. Based upon the current track... Cuba may have a storm surge that is uncomprehensible.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Oct 19 2005 10:52 AM)

SMOKE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: USA, Ga.
      #59234 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Can someone confirm my reasoning. The more west this goes, the more likely it will be picked up by the front earlier than expected and the more weakening it will undergo before making landfall. On the other hand, the more northerly the track, the more likely it will have more strength when it makes landfall. I am not sure of the wesrt or north track will effect the location of landfall. I think that is more of a function of the location of the front and theh lattitude of Wilma at the time of interaction.

A more accurate assumption would be frontal and upper air feature interaction ..... 2 Lows should be a player in the direction and intensity of the storm as it moves in the Gap and heads to the Straits.

Good reasoning but as always, dependent on how simple you want to view the forces involved.

BTW, noticed the ARWO on board .... not Warren, so no eloquent embellishments on the 'nature' of the storm.

--------------------

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: Hugh]
      #59236 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Don't take that as a call for panic. Just pay attention to what the storm is doing. The models have shifted northward again, which puts Tampa back in play and may reduce the risk to Miami, but honestly with a storm like Wilma, if it hits Tampa dead-on it will potentially cause major destruction over all of the peninsula because it's just so big and powerful.

I haven't seen a wind field... but I presume that the incredible winds are limited to a very tiny area around the 2nm eye. Hopefully it will - very soon - caved in on itself. I shutter to think what the next recon will bring.

The storm isn't that big (we've seen bigger) and the hurricane force winds were last reported at less than 15 miles from the eye. So a tight, 30 nm diameter windfield does NOT mean "major destruction over all of the peninsula ".

Please remember to breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth and relax. It's far, far too early to get excited about the potential damage of a storm forecast to weaken considerably prior to landfall.

There may yet be a time to panic, but that time is not now...

SMaggi49

Reged:
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records [Re: Clark]
      #59238 - Wed Oct 19 2005 10:52 AM

Hi there,

I am monitoring the hurricane situation from Germany and all I could only tell is, that I hope that Wilma will weaken, so it may not make such a desastrous landfall.

I am saying this, just to signalize: We all are interested that everyone of you will be umharmed by any storm ever. Just a very brief wish of good luck for all of you.

Take care and greetings from Germany.

Stefan

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records [Re: SMaggi49]
      #59241 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:00 AM

I'm not even going to try to speculate on the exact point of landfall, but let's assume it does landfall somwhere on the FL west coast, is any one else thinkin that it's not going to curve QUITE as sharply to the east as the models are predicting? I can see the NE turn but just not seeing how they're getting that sharp of an angle.
Thanks.

Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte, FL)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records [Re: charlottefl]
      #59242 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

I'm not even going to try to speculate on the exact point of landfall, but let's assume it does landfall somwhere on the FL west coast, is any one else thinkin that it's not going to curve QUITE as sharply to the east as the models are predicting? I can see the NE turn but just not seeing how they're getting that sharp of an angle.
Thanks.
Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte, FL)

Funny (not ha ha but ironic), I was just thinking the same thing. The "elbow" effect seems a bit unrealistic, but it is possible if the trough really moves in quickly - possible, but I don't think likely. A more realistic expectation is that there will be a gradual turn... the big question being when it begins and how far east it turns. A slower turn could ultimately mean MORE of a turn, because the trough will move in more. It's all a matter of angles.

ETA: Since the plane is no longer in Wilma (I read what said it was the "last report"), anyone know when we will get confirmation of the intensity? I assume the next plane is 3 hours away or so, based upon the POTD from yesterday. Even though its only for historical buffs, it would be interesting to get confirmation of the strongest hurricane on record.

ETA2: On the 1015 IR (can't see the 1045 yet)... the signature is SLIGHTLY weakened, in my opinion. I hope this means we have seen the peak.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Oct 19 2005 11:11 AM)

Steeler Fan
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Sarasota, FL
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: tpratch]
      #59243 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:07 AM

I have a question regarding evacuation...

history - where I am in Sarasota we are not considered to be in an area that is an evacuation area for even a CAT 5, nor are we in an area that is predicted to be affected by storm surge from any size storm (got this info. from a link Margie posted yesterday - Thanks). Incredibly, we are only 1.5 miles from Sarasota Bay and they still say the surge from even a 5 would not affect us. We are considering going further inland and have started the process of reservations for several days, but due to the infastructure on the west coast, I see a huge parking lot of I75 and I4, due to the evacuees from further south of us.

The problem is that I will not leave our dog behind, so have sought out places that will accomodate, but feel that we would be taking lodging from someone who may need it much more than us. How much faith should we put in the surge models out there? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Nears Category 5 Intensity [Re: Steeler Fan]
      #59244 - Wed Oct 19 2005 11:16 AM

Steeler Fan. There are several E/W roads worth considering.

SR 70, SR 64, SR 60 - any one will make you far better time than I-4. When I lived in Bradenton, we used to head south to SR 70 and take it across the state to avoid I-4.

My parents evacuated for Frances last year (from Brevard) to stay with friends in Bradenton. They went South on 95 and made great time, then east on SR 70 and barely saw another living soul. Meanwhile, 95 North was a parking lot for the next dozen+ hours. I went out for a drive (getting antsy) about 4 hours before any real TS force winds. 95 was completely empty...

Just some info to consider.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 69408

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center