F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: evergladesangler]
      #60777 - Fri Oct 21 2005 06:24 PM

If Wilma does not make an extensive westerly move over land, there will more than likely be some weakening, but not as much as if it was going to cross like they previously thought. Wilma has definitely going on a more NW/NNW path for the past several hours. IF she does not go over the tip of the Yucatan, you can throw that model right out the window. I think those models are based on information put in several hours prior to being spit out.
We have one choice at this point: to just watch and see what Wilma does as she moves towards Cancun. Right now, I'm leaning towards her maybe just brushing the coast near Cancun because of the more northerly component we have seen in the last several hours. Just as it looks like she is going more west, it seems to correct itself and head more nw/nnw. That's the best news Cancun good get.

To the poster who said TWC no longer has Tampa in the cone, that is not correct. I would look at the NHC's cone, not the TWC's.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Londovir]
      #60778 - Fri Oct 21 2005 06:27 PM

Thanks, Londovir. It could be a mixture of both. George Jenkins is one of the shelters in Polk County, and I think there are others. Also, no matter what it comes in as -- the weather isn't going to be pretty here Monday.
Off to run some errands!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Colleen A.]
      #60779 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:24 PM

Did the forum/system crash?

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: engicedave]
      #60780 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:26 PM

I couldn't get on gor an hour

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: engicedave]
      #60781 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:27 PM

Seems like forum is everloaded ...
Some SQL "too manu connectoins" error poping up ...

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: tpratch]
      #60783 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:30 PM

I like to follow them from the beginning. That is one of the things that is so fascinating about these storms. Rita just started
as a cluster of thunderstorms off Puerto Rico before she ended up slamming into TX/LA as a Cat 3. I find it most interesting to watch
them from the beginning. But I'm watching Wilma too. I was just wondering if this might be Alpha, another history maker.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Colleen A.]
      #60784 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:32 PM

Last one for a while, Can't seem to find a newer image.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #60785 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:33 PM

URNT12 KNHC 211916
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 21/19:01:40Z
B. 20 deg 22 min N
086 deg 42 min W
C. 700 mb 2452 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 235 deg 112 kt
G. 139 deg 031 nm
H. 927 mb
I. 9 C/ 3044 m
J. 17 C/ 3048 m
K. 17 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C25
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF305 1524A Wilma OB 15
MAX FL WIND 116 KT N QUAD 17:24:50 Z

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Psyber]
      #60786 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:37 PM

No chicken bones, just many decades of hands on experience navagating in and around typhoons and hurricanes throughout all the oceans of the world.

Of course, that kind of experience and intuition is no longer necessary now that we have all these highly accurate computers models available to tell us where the storms are going.

Besides, you don't have worry yourself; we're all safe and no lives will be lost because I can guarantee that this octogenarian sea captain won't be taking Max Mayfield's job anytime soon.

Quote:

Does he also consult the chicken bones before making decisions that could cost people their lives? Barometer could go up from several reasons, only one of which is a system moving away from you.

Quote:

Last year as we were being told to evacuate our home here in Tampa because of Charley, my father called and said not to worry that it was going to turn. I asked him why he thought that; and he said (after reading his garage sale barometer on his porch up in north Tampa) "our pressure is rising, it nevers goes up when they're approaching. It must be turning."

A few hours later we started hearing the local mets saying that it looked like it was turning.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60787 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:39 PM

Recent dropsondes in the SE and NE eyewalls reported 128 kt and 110 kt surface winds, respectively. Surface winds from the dropsondes are consistently showing up as slightly stronger than flight-level winds, though whether the dropsonde obs are representative of sustained winds or gusts is open to speculation.

Wilma appears to have essentially stalled in the last 1-2 hours.

Circinae

Reged:
Loc: Naples, Florida
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: komi]
      #60789 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:44 PM

I couldn't get most good weather related sites to load either. Interesting that Collier County Emergency Managers are suggesting that the people in the mandatory evacuation zones move north to Sarasota because the cone still includes Sarasota and even Tampa area. I live in a non evacuation area of the the County...unless we have surge projected for Cat 5. Most of this County would be under water then. The number of models running through our area concern me. I will be very interested in seeing what they show when Wilma eventually makes the turn to the northeast.

Lance Wilson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #60790 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:44 PM

Quote:

Recent dropsondes in the SE and NE eyewalls reported 128 kt and 110 kt surface winds, respectively. Surface winds from the dropsondes are consistently showing up as slightly stronger than flight-level winds, though whether the dropsonde obs are representative of sustained winds or gusts is open to speculation.

Wilma appears to have essentially stalled in the last 1-2 hours.

Between the 2:04 and 3:17 VDM's, Wilma has moved from 20 degrees 19 minutes and 86 d 43 m to 20 d 22 m and 86.42 m. (Borrowed from another forum.) Assuming they hit the center, that would mean a NNNE, which is not likely, but it is moving a little.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
      #60791 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:44 PM

We all talked about a stall over land, but not BEFORE land. Any ideas?

iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: MikeC]
      #60792 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:46 PM

Does anyone know when and if Max Mayfield is making his next news conference???

efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Geoff]
      #60793 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:46 PM

Whats up everybody....

What has to happen for this to stall like everyone seems to think? Does it become stationary, or just continue at its current 4-5-6mph, before it gets picked up?
I am not the model searcher, but was curious if they are all in agreance? Do they have a good grasp where it is going to go at this time? It seems as if the official track by the NHC has been relatively the same the last 18-24 hrs, and the uncertainty has shifted to the intesity at FL landfall. How accurate do these speculations seem to be.. Enlighten me please..

out... ft. myers....

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Lance Wilson]
      #60797 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Between the 2:04 and 3:17 VDM's, Wilma has moved from 20 degrees 19 minutes and 86 d 43 m to 20 d 22 m and 86.42 m. (Borrowed from another forum.) Assuming they hit the center, that would mean a NNNE, which is not likely, but it is moving a little.

That would be consistent with a stall. There will be wobbling as it spins. The million dollar question is will she wobble onto land or maintain stall and wobble off shore?

--------------------
Jim

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #60798 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:53 PM

I don't see a stall now. Speed up the Cancun radar presentation and you can see a fairly consistent motion slightly n of nw...lots of little wobbles but it looks that the center will pass just south and west of Cancun if the present motion continues...they must be getting hammered...a slow mover is so scary..Dennis came thru hear so fast ...20-30 minutes of intense winds...but Ivan took hours and it is enough to drive you nuts..I feel for the 20,000 tourists stuck there....they are going to have a miserable few days...

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Approaching the Yucatan Peninsula [Re: Lance Wilson]
      #60800 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:55 PM

3' N and 1' E probably falls into the range of margin of error for a center fix in a system with a large eye like Wilma. It is difficult to discern any motion from the satellite loop since 1815Z and even before then it was moving very slowly.

Against all odds, the western semicircle of the system actually seems to have rebounded quite a bit, with cloud tops cooling off quite a bit in that part of the system.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #60802 - Fri Oct 21 2005 07:59 PM

NHC certainly wasn't far off in their pressure estimate.

Wilma strengthened in the sense the pressure dropped a little, and the organziation right around the eye improved, but her overall wind speed is down, and no surprise there.

Actually the last six hours there was a steady NW movement, with oscillations (likely caused by the asymmetrical windfield) around the SW corner of the eyewall (the same type of oscillations that were seen dramatically exaggerated the other day with the very small eyewall). To see this, bring up the wv loop and zoom in like 4-5 times and page through the images.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #60803 - Fri Oct 21 2005 08:00 PM

Quote:

Against all odds, the western semicircle of the system actually seems to have rebounded quite a bit, with cloud tops cooling off quite a bit in that part of the system.

Yep, looks just fine to me too; http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_hom...CT=1degreeticks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center