F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Turn?? [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #61783 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:10 AM

I'm getting a jump in the satellite frames. Missing data.
So I'm doing a two frame loop. From 1715Z to 0045Z.

Here's my observation. The open 'eye' area that you see. May be the old eye, and relative to the Southern side of the storm.
The new eye feature that I refered to, is offset to the east of the Southern semicircle.
So I see the south half, with the old eye in the middle.
And the north half with the new eye in the middle.

Now take the north half and slide it east until the outer edge of the heavier color is even with the old eye.
I hope that makes sense.

Not a sheared look. But more of a eye reformation type look.

edit-now that I'm getting new frames. My description above doesn't carry through.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jonathan Franklin
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Eye Formation [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #61784 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:10 AM

This link is a little closer in, and provides a fair view, as well:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Eye Formation [Re: Jonathan Franklin]
      #61786 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:19 AM

Based on the radar, there is still some activity associated with the old inner eyewall. Also, it appears that there could be a another wind maximum just outside of the 70 mi-wide eye feature, as I believe HF mentioned earlier. It may take awhile for Wilma to develop a consolidated inner core and restrengthen, or it may never do so and stay as a broad cat 1-2 hurricane for the duration.

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Hugh]
      #61787 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:22 AM

This is for everybody who is nervous about tornados. I hope this will give you peace of mind...
from the Hurricane Local Statement

...TORNADO IMPACTS...
THE THREAT OF TORNADOES IS EXPECTED TO BE NIL FROM TAMPA BAY
NORTHWARD...AND LOW SOUTH OF TAMPA BAY...SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.
NORTH WINDS USHERING IN MUCH COOLER AIR WILL ENSURE STABLE CONDITIONS
FROM TAMPA BAY NORTHWARD. THE MOST UNSTABLE CONDITIONS WILL BE
CLOSER TO THE CENTER OF THE STORM WHERE TROPICAL AIR IS MOST
ABUNDANT.

--------------------
Matt

Edited by chase 22 (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:24 AM)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Turn?? [Re: danielw]
      #61788 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:24 AM

Okay - it was difficult tracking the COC on some of the recent frames, but it's much, much easier now that she's over water again. I also threw this together, so I could've spent more time analyzing before plotting the center. I have time to give this regular loving, but not enough time to make it 100% accurate. Consider it like the pirate's code for now

I dimmed old points (but left them for the intellectually curious) and will likely kill the "full" heading as it would depend on an arbitrary point, and she's moving against prior points plotted.

laureg
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, FL
Re: Turn?? [Re: danielw]
      #61789 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:25 AM

We got a call here from the St. Lucie County School Board automated system that school is closed both Monday AND Tuesday (since the schools are the shelters here).

Anyone want to tackle my question from before about the affect Lake Okeechobee would have on the system if it were to pass directly over it? Was a topic of discussion at work yesterday.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Turn?? [Re: tpratch]
      #61790 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:29 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
okeechobee [Re: laureg]
      #61791 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:31 AM

water there isn't deep enough to really do anything for the storm. it would represent a reduced-friction zone, so that winds moving across it at the surface would accelerate as compared to winds over normal terrain. negligible effects overall, but probably an extra pain-in-the-butt if you happen to live a little upwind of the lake.
the '28 hurricane that killed so many people piled water up on one side of the lake and topped the levees... flooded some farming communities that were set up in the fertile floodplain. levees today are much higher and it would take a very strong hurricane moving just right to overwash them.
HF 0131z23october

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:32 AM)

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Hugh]
      #61792 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:34 AM

The GOES Floater IR-4 channel clearly shows motion of the COC NE in the last several frames. If this keeps up there's no way this thing is going in as far south as Naples.

The trough axis and features involved in it are really quite cool -and complex. There's a clear low now roughly off the MN/SD border diving southward, which looks to amplifiy that trough. The surface frontal boundary is now roughly over Tampa, BUT it has lifted north and east - the tail of it is over Tampa, with almost none of it in the gulf itself. This leaves the amplification behind it to steer Wilma, and there is now a weakness appearing to form further north by 100nm or so - looks to be over Cedar Key, roughly, in another 6 hours or so.

I do not have any expectation that Wilma would get drawn up THAT far north, but I would not let my guard down anywhere on the west coast, as I've said repeatedly. I am definitely not buying the "depressed southward" type of path with any sort of certainty, although I'm also not going to say that it WON'T happen either.

If the amplification tilts the trough axis and drives it southward, which, by the way, jives with the local forecast for overnight lows and daytime highs starting tomorrow night and into Monday then I would expect a more N-S axis on that trough. This would tend to reinforce a NE rather than ENE track.

I suspect you'll see a consolidation of the models with the ingestion of the next batch of data containing the movement off the coast; I wouldn't expect to see this fully developed in terms of model support until the morning hours - the 00Z updates won't have the data set to work with, so it will be the 06Z and later runs that IMHO will have the best read on this situation.

I still believe the highest risk area is from Sarasota to Tampa, which is the north half of the cone. This is consistent with where they posted watches though - they've got watches up all the way to Cedar Key it appears.... so if you go by the "watch box", I'm looking "right up the middle" (same place I was a couple of days ago!)

Now if we see an ENE bend in the next six hours or so then the black-line looks more probable - that is, more towards Naples. Note that no matter WHERE it goes the Tropical Storm Force winds now extend 200nm out from the center - which puts almost the entire west coast under the gun for at least some impact. Further, if that front lifts North, as it looks like its doing, you won't get the protective value of it north of the frontal boundary as it won't be there!

Let's see how the actual path develops once the circulation has had a few hours over water and a motion trend has been established. Until then, please - do not let your guard down anywhere along the west coast and in the Keys!

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Spin [Re: HanKFranK]
      #61793 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:36 AM

MARINE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KEY WEST FL
925 PM EDT SAT OCT 22 2005

...A SPECIAL MARINE WARNING CONTINUES UNTIL 1000 PM EDT...
FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS...
WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST 20 TO 60 NM WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST OUT 20 NM GULF SIDE OF THE LOWER KEYS OUT 20 NM

AT 923 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A THUNDERSTORM...PRODUCING STRONG WINDS NEAR 35 KNOTS...
ABOUT 24 MILES SOUTH OF RAMROD KEY...MOVING NORTH AT 15 MPH.

CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR WATERSPOUTS TO FORM IN THE WARNING AREA.

jusforsean
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Broward County
Re: okeechobee [Re: HanKFranK]
      #61795 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:38 AM

Regardless of what Wilma does or is doing she scares the patudies out of me.
Tornadoes are not welcome at my manufactured home thank you and she is just doing things that i have never really seen a hurricane do, at least not all of them in one hurricane. Regardless of landfall, from Tampa to the Keys I think we all need to treat this one as a very serious and unpredictable storm who is having a bad day and intends to vent her frustration on our penninsula! So get ready, shutter, board, stock pile and be prepared no matter where the track takes the landfall. Stay Safe all....

iuhoosiers
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #61796 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:39 AM

Genesis, it wasn't supposed to turn to the northeast till early tomorrow morning, so turning early now means it will go further sount

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: chase 22]
      #61797 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

This is for everybody who is nervous about tornados. I hope this will give you peace of mind...
from the Hurricane Local Statement

...TORNADO IMPACTS...
THE THREAT OF TORNADOES IS EXPECTED TO BE NIL FROM TAMPA BAY
NORTHWARD...AND LOW SOUTH OF TAMPA BAY...SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.
NORTH WINDS USHERING IN MUCH COOLER AIR WILL ENSURE STABLE CONDITIONS
FROM TAMPA BAY NORTHWARD. THE MOST UNSTABLE CONDITIONS WILL BE
CLOSER TO THE CENTER OF THE STORM WHERE TROPICAL AIR IS MOST
ABUNDANT.

That statement out of TBW appears to be in direct conflict with Melbourne's Hurricane Local Statement. Now i am getting a little confused.

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Jamiewx]
      #61798 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:47 AM

Huh...thats odd. I wonder if they know that their statements conflict. You would think that the NWS service would be in sync with that kind of stuff especially with a hurricane about to make landfall on the U.S

--------------------
Matt

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #61799 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:50 AM

Ya you beat me to the post as how does it turning early to the NE make it a Sarasota Tampa storm?

I really have to bite my tounge and just be quite before i get banned for what i say but you got the idea.

Also there are no watchs for above Sarasota other then Tropical Storm the Hurricane watch is Sarasota south ok.

Edited by Rdietch (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:52 AM)

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: chase 22]
      #61800 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:50 AM

TampaBays10.com live streaming doppler !
Not too big screen 160 Kb/s ...

http://tampabays10.com/weather/doppler/speedera_doppler.asx

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Jamiewx]
      #61801 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:53 AM

Not sure if anyone has heard, off the AP wire and Mexican Gov. Playa Del Carmen destroyed, water up to the 3rd floor in most hotels, over 1,000, home destroyed

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: iuhoosiers]
      #61802 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:53 AM

Quote:

Genesis, it wasn't supposed to turn to the northeast till early tomorrow morning, so turning early now means it will go further sount

No...further North because the front (which was "protecting" the wc and nw penninsula)is now retreating to the North which would allow Wilma to take a more Northerly path.

Haven't heard from the mets in awhile...probably pretty busy

--------------------
Matt

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #61803 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:54 AM

With they eye so wide right now (70nm?!?) how can anyone be sure what direction she is going. It could be a wobble or just part of the reintensification. I'd bet the eye jumps around alot tonight, keep in mind the back quarter of the storm is still over land. If you run the water vapor loop with the forecast points and lat/lon overlays it looks to be on target to me.

Link: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
      #61804 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:54 AM

Over 65 inches of Rain have fallen in some areas of the Yucatan. Isn't that incredible?

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 103671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center