F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Atlantic
      #705 - Mon Jun 10 2002 08:56 PM

Hm...I noticed that on TWC, but Dr. Steve barely mentioned it. Or if he did, I missed it. It is looking very interesting, though. What sort of time table do you think we would be looking at if it does develop and goes inland?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Caribbean looking VERY interesting......
      #706 - Mon Jun 10 2002 09:45 PM

It has gotten more and more organized over the past few hours. I've seen Tropical Storms look worse than this. Definately something to watch!

~SirCane

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Caribbean looking VERY interesting......
      #707 - Mon Jun 10 2002 10:13 PM

yea buddy

Greyman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Miami,Fla.
      #708 - Mon Jun 10 2002 10:23 PM

I don't want to jump tp any conclusions here but the system in the Carribean is looking better all the time,even appears to be developing a ridge over it,but these things are tricky & it could just as easilly fall apart,the NHC doesnt think much of it as of yet, but I don't see any real strong shear over it & convection continues to fester,just something to watch right now.

Greyman (aka) Landfaller

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #709 - Tue Jun 11 2002 12:26 AM

Have to agree with Sircane and Greyman as the system in the Caribbean right now is about as good as anything I've seen on IR thus far this season in the tropics...

Pressure in Cuba and Jamaica range from 1009 to 1012mb. Jamaica has east winds at 17 mph.

Big question will it persist long enough to develop? Joe B talked about this system this morning and said "if" it did develop it would follow the trough and track off to the NE...

Lets see what, if anything happens.... NRL not tracking it yet...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#710 - Tue Jun 11 2002 03:16 AM

This area is looking very nicely and powerful right now and a small area of high pressure may be forming on top there is not alot of shear and there looks to be a slight turning that there might be a tropical system trying to get stated and the pattern calls for north movement so there will be alot of rain the islands tonight. about boris that the nation hurricane center is paying more watch on that spin of low clouds heck I seen some weak hurricane look like this I think It got a chance but as long as the shear stays light the avn dom't yeat make the storm and think yet but GFDL was so a watch will be kept on this area. Matthew

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

#712 - Tue Jun 11 2002 05:52 AM

or is it? this one is a bunch of convection induced by upper divergence or something, and seems to be a bit off from whatever weak surface trough there is. what interests me more than the big burst near jamaica is the slow moving, sparse, less sheared convection near the caymans that is right under the narrow upper ridge axis, and apparently near an ill defined surface trough. if something is going to try and go, it will be there, so i reckon. but it needs to do a lot more than that. i'm thinking that in about two weeks as the summer pattern over the u.s. matures, shear in the early season breeding zone will become less hostile, and less of an overall westerly flow will dominate but rather a bunch of upper cutoff systems. right now i'm also starting to think that the kickoff for this season, which will be stretched out rather than one big burst of activity, will be in late july or early august. there might be maybe an odd system before then, but i'm betting against much activity before about july 15th.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Interesting Miami Forecast Discussion
      #713 - Tue Jun 11 2002 02:03 PM

I found this while checking out the forecasts for this morning..they are talking about an upper low circulation just off the Central E Florida coast:

STILL LOOKS LIKE VERY WET PATTERN SETTING UP OVER SOUTH FLORIDA NEXT FEW DAYS. AS HAS BEEN THE CASE THE PAST FEW DAYS...ETA...MESO-ETA AND NGM ARE A BIT MORE IN AGREEMENT WITH AVN NOT BEING QUITE AS HIGH ON QPF AMOUNTS THOUGH POPS FROM MAV STILL IN
LIKELY CATEGORY. CURRENT PLAN IS TO STICK WITH ETA/MESO/NGM WHICH INDICATE TROPICAL WAVE/INVERTED TROUGH MOVING SLOWLY NORTHWEST WHILE UPPER LOW CONTINUES TO SLOWLY RETROGRADE WEST. AVN STILL TRYING TO DEVELOP LOW ALONG TROUGH AXIS AND MOVE TO THE NORTHEAST. NOT CONSIDERING A WATCH AT THIS TIME...ESPECIALLY GIVEN ANTECEDENT CONDITIONS STILL FAIRLY DRY...BUT MAY NEED TO CONSIDER LATER.

Ok...are they talking about a FLOOD WATCH? Or a tropical storm watch? I'm thinking that they may be talking about a flood watch given that they were talking about the amount of rain (1-2") but I may be mistaken. Anyone?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Interesting Miami Forecast Discussion
      #714 - Tue Jun 11 2002 03:20 PM

They would be talking about a flood a watch because of this line in the discussion:
In reply to:

...especially given antecedent condtions still fairly dry...

That's why it would be a flood watch, not a TS watch. Besides, NHC issues TC watches and warnings, not NWS offices. Conditions near Orlando, Florida: Heavy rain with frequent lightning, temp: 74 degrees, humidity: 93%, baro pres.:29.99 inches and steady.
Kevin

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Interesting Miami Forecast Discussion
      #716 - Tue Jun 11 2002 04:30 PM

Thank you, Kevin. I should have figured as much, but I just have to ask, ya know.

I'll tell ya what...up here in Central Florida, it is weird looking outside....very tall cumulous clouds, with stray clouds (you know those ones that hang down that people think are tornadoes??) and it is VERY HUMID.

Ah well...another Florida summer day.

--------------------

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Convection splitting
      #717 - Tue Jun 11 2002 05:05 PM

Well the latest visible imagery shows that the convection associated with the trough and tropical wave has split into two distinct areas. One area is over the Bahamas and south Florida and the other is to the south of Cuba. The 12Z surface analysis shows a new low developing in the same general area as the convection over the Bahamas, and shows another low just to the south of where the convection is in the NW Caribbean. Both areas bear watching, but NRL are still not showing anything as yet.

Rich

StormWarn2000 International

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Convection splitting
      #718 - Tue Jun 11 2002 07:14 PM

Alright, the convection in the western carribbean looks better than almost anything last year, yet no posts!!!! When there is nothing going on we get 115. It's almost as if we're waiting for someone to say GAME ON!!!
Keith

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Game on
      #719 - Tue Jun 11 2002 08:53 PM

need i say more

Rich

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Game on
      #720 - Tue Jun 11 2002 10:58 PM

The 2002 Hurricane season offically ends in 173 days.

How's that? Heh.

Steve

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

Re: Game on
      #721 - Wed Jun 12 2002 02:42 AM

still waiting for the kickoff. west carib doesnt look all that impressive.. what convection there is is mostly related to an upper trough, the surface turning is weak and broad and totally unfocused. joe b was talking about a low springing up and harassing floridians later on, but the fierce weather hasnt come calling just yet. of course there was that storm last july on the west florida coast that never got organized but still brought some good strong winds.. so it wont necessarily take a tropical system to do it. confidence remains low until some sort of surface low takes over in this big mess.
also IMO i've always thought that there should be some time deliniation for the peak part of hurricane season, august 15th to october 15th, to separate it from the rest. theres a big difference between june 4th and september 18th when it comes to hurricane frequency and danger, but both are just another day in the hurricane season.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama sportsfans...
      #722 - Wed Jun 12 2002 03:41 PM

Joe B is predicting (with the help of the ECMWF) a cut off low down near the mouth of the river - post trof split - early part of next week. The apparent key is whether or not a storm coming down out of the eastern slopes and plains splits and heads south to the Gulf or rides back up ENE and heads out to the mid-Atlantic states. The European surface is showing this, though it is entirely too far out for it to handle actual pressure or rainfall amounts. Looks like an interesting setup for a potential rainmaker on the NC GC.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged:
Just a thought.
      #723 - Wed Jun 12 2002 04:31 PM

Has anyone seen how many people are being effected by the fires in Colorado? It reminds me of floyd with all of the evacuations and also makes me realize, that could be us with how dry we are. A hurricane or good tropical storm could pull us right out of a drought, but we have this new company that will put the "dyno-gel" stuff on it, and try to kill it. If that happens and without normal rain, we could be the next colorado. Like I said, just a thought....

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Just a thought.
      #724 - Wed Jun 12 2002 05:34 PM

just goes to show you should never mess with Mother Nature

Larry
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Just a thought.
      #725 - Wed Jun 12 2002 07:07 PM

Steve,

I hope Joe B is correct about a rainmaker for NC! We are over 5 inches below normal rainfall for the year, on top of low amounts for 2001. Voluntary water restrictions are already imposed, which is scary for this early in the season. It would also be nice to have a system to clear out the smog; we are under the 3rd day of Code Red ozone alerts.

Here's hoping NC will get enough tropical storms this year to help the drought. Just not hurricanes like Fran or Floyd- I've had enough of trees falling on the house.

Larry
Raleigh NC

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Hey Larry...
      #726 - Wed Jun 12 2002 07:16 PM

NC GC in my post referred to North Central Gulf Coast. Sorry about that. I read the story on CNN of the Spanish dude 40 miles west of Raleigh who lost 6 family members yesterday in a fire due to an overloaded extension cord hooked up to his A/C that had been running for several days. I doubt there's any end in sight at least until the tropical season gets underway.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13975

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center