F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Pages: 1
Sebastian

Reged:
Hurricanes should i be worried
      #70661 - Fri Aug 25 2006 09:57 AM

Hello,

My name is Sebastian and I come from the tranquile country Belgium.
As this is naturewise the most predictable country ( it either rains or it is sunny ) i have no experience with harsh weather.
I am planning on going to Florida from 09/09 to 09/23 with my girlfriend.
We are putting a big part of our savings into this trip and I suddenly realised i had not taken the weather into account.
Is it wise to come to florida then ? Are we going to spend the holiday in a hotelroom staring outside to the rain ?
Because if this is true then i'd best stay at home because in Belgium it has not stopped raining ;-) .

Your knowledge about this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sebastian

ps sorry for the english

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hurricanes should i be worried [Re: Sebastian]
      #70742 - Fri Aug 25 2006 06:54 PM

September is a season where Florida can be impacted by a hurricane, but it is impossible to predict such events this far out. Seabreeze thunderstorms start to become less numerous in September, though, and you'll likely see fairly nice but warm conditions (all else considered) during September.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Hurricanes should i be worried [Re: Sebastian]
      #70939 - Sat Aug 26 2006 12:56 PM

Quote:

I am planning on going to Florida from 09/09 to 09/23 with my girlfriend.
We are putting a big part of our savings into this trip and Is it wise to come to florida then ?
Sebastian
ps sorry for the english

Your English is just fine, Sebastian.
To put "a big part of our savings into this trip" is a very bad bet. Your dates cover the very PEAK of the Huricane Season! The odds favour that you would get away with it but to lose the bet could be devastating! You could suffer the worst 2 weeks of your life.

We welcome you to Florida, but please pick another time. :

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricanes should i be worried [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #70944 - Sat Aug 26 2006 01:35 PM

Sebastian,

I must disagree with my friend Multi. Even though we have seen many hurricanes through the years, a hurricane hitting one spot in Florida is not a likely event. If a hurricane were to come to somewhere else in Florida, you would likely only see a day or two of bad weather. The weather on either side of the hurricane would be beautiful.

If you happened to be unlucky enough to be in the path of the hurricane, you would want to have alternate plans. Pick a nice spot on the other side of Florida to retreat to. Just make sure you leave early enough. For example, if you were staying in Clearwater Beach this week, it might be a good idea to travel across the state to Daytona for a few days, since this storm might be headed to the west coast. You may get to see more of Florida this way!

Outside of hurricanes, it does rain almost daily in Florida. However, the rain normally only lasts 30 to 60 minutes so it isn't a problem.

If you can move your vacation to another month, that may be better. If you can't, just see if you can set up alternate plans just in case. Otherwise, just enjoy your vacation!

Oh, where are you planning to stay? That could determine how easy it is for you to move if there is a storm.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 5157

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center