F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
allan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: gale 90L [Re: Hootowl]
      #74580 - Tue May 08 2007 02:26 PM

Navy finally has 90L out.. I think we should finally be able to see the model paths with what the TWC and I are calling teh unnamed Subtropical Storm.
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_hom...mp;STYLE=tables
So here's a question for you all.. Will it be named Subtropical Storm Andrea?

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: SWFL
Re: gale 90L [Re: allan]
      #74582 - Tue May 08 2007 03:24 PM

Holy crud that water vapor loop is impressive!!

I notice NHC put up the tropical disturbance statement on their page.

So what exactly needs to happen for this system to be reclassified from what it is now to a sub-tropical or tropical system? Could someone please educate me and other newbies who aren't exactly sure what the finer points of this are?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Edited by madmumbler (Tue May 08 2007 03:34 PM)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: gale 90L [Re: madmumbler]
      #74583 - Tue May 08 2007 03:26 PM

Another question, as of right now (11:18am eastern) on the NHC/NOAA satellite/weather page, the GOES floaters? They have them labeled: Atlantic Floater 1 - non-tropical low, and Atlantic Floater 4 - test floater - subtropical system, but they look like they're on the same feature. Does that mean the NHC is reclassifying this?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
system has every name but subtropical, needs a name [Re: madmumbler]
      #74584 - Tue May 08 2007 03:38 PM

This system has been called everything but Sub-tropical and usually very insistent on the Non-Tropical status however in the tropics which are fluid.. things change and they often change fast.

Are they changing?

Amazing storm to watch on imagery and is predicted to make landfall whether it has a name or doesn't.

Personally I don't think issuing "high wind warnings" is enough.

A hard call for someone.

Thanks for the heads up on the special statement.. I didn't get it in my email yet.
Are they going to wait to send planes in tomorrow..if necessary?

Thanks for some of the great links here, that aviation loop is awesome

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: gale 90L [Re: madmumbler]
      #74585 - Tue May 08 2007 03:39 PM

am i reading this correct? Navy had it at 1243Z as a Invest 90L with 50kts and pressure as 998mb?
(20070508.1243.f15.x.geovis.90LINVEST.50kts-998mb-304N-773W) but the NHC has it as a 1001mb?

**i know these are just estimates***

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue May 08 2007 03:50 PM)

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: gale 90L [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #74586 - Tue May 08 2007 04:45 PM

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the system one of the neatest looking storms you've seen in a while? It's a very organized system, just not a tropical one. Though it's certainly trying to get more convection running. So maybe in the next 24 hours it could get classified, but only if it gets some more banding features instead of looking like a strange little whirlpool.

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #74587 - Tue May 08 2007 04:45 PM

Some decent convective banding now developing around the centre, looking increasingly less like a non-tropical system, and more subtropical or tropical

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: gale 90L [Re: Rich B]
      #74588 - Tue May 08 2007 04:56 PM

it sure looks formidable- although it certainly seems cold-core. This system is still too close to land - nor are the gulf stream water temperatures high enough to warrant a full transition to warm core- or tropical system. This 'unamed' event still looks neat.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: gale 90L [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #74589 - Tue May 08 2007 05:10 PM

seems to me that this morning the western side of the low over the gulf stream is flaring up more storms now. They seem to be much better looking than yesterday. I guess the question of the day, is will these storms wrap around more and make it more sub-tropical... I don't think there is enough time for this thing to trun completely tropical... unless it slows down. But its still going and is causing alot of problems... last night Infared shots showed those two BIG fires over near jacksonville... one in GA, and other just SW of Jacksonville, and the plumes from them were screaming to the SW. THE NEED RAIN!

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #74590 - Tue May 08 2007 06:02 PM

Just a note Accuweather's discussion for the 2007 season is out now here: http://wwwa.accuweather.com/pressroom.asp?pr=wx_262.htm

Hurricane29
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Miami Florida
Re: gale 90L [Re: MikeC]
      #74591 - Tue May 08 2007 06:13 PM

Indeed!

Accuweather 07 forcast.Florida in the Bull’s Eye this Hurricane Season

(State College, PA - May 8, 2007) - Accuweather.com Chief Hurricane Forecaster Joe Bastardi and his team expect this season’s hurricanes and tropical storms to pose a far greater threat to lives and property than last year’s, with significantly more storms striking the US.

In the Accuweather.com 2007 Hurricane Season Forecast released today, Bastardi warns that six or seven storms will strike the US coast. This includes the possibility of multiple strikes by the same storm, such as the way Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina – both extreme examples – struck Florida before later striking the US Gulf Coast. The majority of these landfalls are projected for the Gulf Coast from the mouth of the Mississippi River to Cape Hatteras, NC, with the center of the bull’s eye on Florida.

AccuWeather.com forecasts 13 or 14 total storms in the Atlantic Basin, with three or more likely to be major hurricanes of Category 3 or greater.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: gale 90L [Re: Hurricane29]
      #74592 - Tue May 08 2007 06:31 PM

And when was the last time Bastardi was right??

What do you all think of Henry Margusity on Accuweather...does he know his tropical stuff? I followed his winter forecasts and he seemed to do a good job.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #74593 - Tue May 08 2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

But its still going and is causing alot of problems... last night Infared shots showed those two BIG fires over near jacksonville... one in GA, and other just SW of Jacksonville, and the plumes from them were screaming to the SW. THE NEED RAIN!

I'm down in west Charlotte county and since this morning we've had THICK, heavy smoke, mostly from the fires to the north and east, but now the Sarasota fire has REALLY flared up, they just closed down I-75, and the WFLA Tampa channel's heliocopter feed made it onto MSNBC. I'm not kidding, it looks like sea fog out here, it's so bad.

It sucks, because it's cool enough to open the windows (probably the last time until November!) and I can't because of the smoke. You can't even see if it's overcast or not, can't see the sky, but it's so thick like it's overcast.

Anyone know if we'll get that rain down here??

If this thing doesn't bring us rain and we only get wind, it's going to be horrible for the fire situation.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

rookie
Unregistered

Re: gale 90L [Re: MikeC]
      #74594 - Tue May 08 2007 06:36 PM

I feel your pain "Storm Chaser "we have 7 fires here in Ft Myers right now. Drought index is 750 out of 800
Sorry if this is off topic everybody. The winds from the (sub - whatever storm ) are not helping.

http://www.nbc-2.com/WebView/TowerCam.shtml

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: gale 90L [Re: Ed in Va]
      #74595 - Tue May 08 2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

And when was the last time Bastardi was right??

*LOL*

Can one of the mods enter his predictions into the forum guesses? We'll see how he compares. *LOL*

I was under the impression that Accuweather was an oxymoron. *LOL* Wait, let me get my Tarot cards out.... *rotfl*

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: gale 90L [Re: Hurricane29]
      #74596 - Tue May 08 2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Indeed!

Accuweather 07 forcast.Florida in the Bull’s Eye this Hurricane Season

Quoting a copywrited source directly is generally not a good idea. That said, in the past I feel the members and prognosticators that frequent this board often do a better job than the source of this article. I'll now return to 'lurk mode'. I will say that the current storm off the E coast of Fl/Ga is a bit more persistent than I might have expected and it does *look* impressive and if it was 45 or so days down the road, I'd be worrying about the fact I live in a trailer right about now. But, I don't think this will become tropical because I just don't feel there is enough energy stored in the atmosphere or in the Atlantic in this area to support tropical development. So, as storms go, I think it is "pretty", possibly even dangerous, but not tropical.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

rookie
Unregistered

Re: gale 90L [Re: Unregistered User]
      #74597 - Tue May 08 2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

I feel your pain "Storm Chaser "we have 7 fires here in Ft Myers right now. Drought index is 750 out of 800
Sorry if this is off topic everybody. The winds from the (sub - whatever storm ) are not helping.

http://www.nbc-2.com/WebView/TowerCam.shtml

Sorry I should have read "Storm Hunter"

Keep refreshing the cam it will work.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Is the Offshore Storm Subtropical? [Re: MikeC]
      #74598 - Tue May 08 2007 06:54 PM

Former NHC Director Max Mayfield is now consulting for some of the local stations around the state and is reported to suggest that the system has a pretty good chance of being named Andrea tonight or tomorrow if it continues to hold together.

The mostly dry system is still aggravating the fire situation in northern Florida/Southern Georgia as well, and other fires across Florida are flaring up also.

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Is the Offshore Storm Subtropical? [Re: MikeC]
      #74599 - Tue May 08 2007 07:19 PM

Storm90

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Edited by danielw (Wed May 09 2007 04:34 AM)

Hurricane29
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Miami Florida
Re: Is the Offshore Storm Subtropical? [Re: HCW]
      #74600 - Tue May 08 2007 07:48 PM

Banding features have improved with convection trying to rap around.In my opinion if the trend continues recon is a go tommorow morning.

Edited by danielw (Wed May 09 2007 04:31 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 30072

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center