F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Pages: 1
ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Rain bombs... is this a new term?
      #75902 - Tue Jul 24 2007 05:42 AM

KVUE says it's not an 'official' term but one that a meteorologist came up with to describe what we've been getting here in Texas this year.

I was just wondering if this is being used elsewhere and if you've heard of it before this year...

From KVUE

Quote:

On June 28, Marble Falls got close to 19 inches of rain -- sweeping cars, trailers and even people downstream. Joe Arellano, the meteorologist in charge for the National Weather Service says it was rather unusual.

"I would classify it at least as a 100-year event -- getting 18 inches plus is not something we see very often," he said.

These extreme rain events -- or "rain bombs" -- started occurring in mid June. The first to be hit was Gainesville, Texas. At least six people died when more than 8 inches of rain fell there.

Ten days later Marble Falls was struck. On July 2, Corpus Christi picked up almost 10 inches of rain. People had to be rescued from roof tops. This past weekend, 10 to 15 inches fell upstream of D'Hannis.

The words "rain bomb" are not actually a meteorological term. They were used by a National Weather Service forecaster to describe what happened in Marble Falls and just caught on.

Thank you (I hope this is the right forum!!) (And I sure hope any TD, TS or H that occur are fishes this year!)

'shana

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Rain bombs... is this a new term? [Re: ShanaTX]
      #75905 - Wed Jul 25 2007 12:26 AM

"Bomb" is a description that is used fairly often in colloquial meteospeak. It can get applied to just about anything that could be loosely described as, well, a "bomb," with a "rain bomb" being one application of the word.

More formally, when discussing very heavy rain events, mets may describe them as "QPF Bombs" - or Quantitative Precipitation Forecast *Bombs*, when the models forecast and/or verify such events.

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Rain bombs... is this a new term? [Re: cieldumort]
      #75907 - Wed Jul 25 2007 02:28 AM

Oh... that makes sense

I was wondering because the local news is acting like it's a brand new term, used just this year for the crazy Texas weather...

Thanks

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Things to watch [Re: ShanaTX]
      #75930 - Fri Jul 27 2007 04:33 PM

Folks here on the East Coast of Florida might get some big boomers this afternoon.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-wv.html

you can clearly see the Sea Breeze line of thunderstorms starting to form.

Here's the thing:
120NM out from the coast we have surface winds ENE
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41010

20NM out from the coast we have surface winds WNW
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41009

On the Intercoastal N
http://www.merrittislandweather.com/

With the days heating we should get a show along the coast.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5642

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center