F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Addicted2Cane
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc:
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: HanKFranK]
      #77416 - Tue Aug 21 2007 10:34 PM

At the current rate, when could we expect 92L to make land ?

--------------------
Where is the wind and rain...I NEED to sleep!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: Addicted2Cane]
      #77418 - Tue Aug 21 2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

At the current rate, when could we expect 92L to make land ?

Well, considering that the invest formerly known as 92L is no longer being followed, I'd say a long time.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: Hugh]
      #77419 - Tue Aug 21 2007 11:16 PM

Actually, it's remnants will be in Florida sometime tomorrow & Thursday. It will not, I repeat NOT be a tropical storm of any kind; just some meeded rain.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #77420 - Wed Aug 22 2007 02:59 AM

Yeah thats the system that JB said was going to be a hurricane and hit florida...then again he said Dean then No then yeah then NO. Also didnt he say Erin was going to be a strong TS or maybe a hurricane? He did get that right that it developed but hey anyone can say a area of disturbed weather might have a chance in 3-5 days.
I really like JB though and I love his anolysis on things. I think hes funny with his jokes..but he hypes stuff up more then being scientific and facing the facts. I still recomend him even though hes having a sub-par year again.

DougBaker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: scottsvb]
      #77426 - Wed Aug 22 2007 05:20 AM

Here is the headline that msnbc is reporting on their main page
Nuclear Bull's-Eye?

Dean weakens, but eyes oil facilities, nuke plant
msnbc news store - Dean Weakens, but eyes oil facillities, nuke plant

I know it is much weaker and does not have much time to get stronger, but is anyone else worrired? or is this just media hype.

dem05
User

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: dean's terminal run [Re: DougBaker]
      #77428 - Wed Aug 22 2007 07:25 AM

No media bashing here...this is a case of it is what it is...This is pure CNN 360 "Keeping 'em Honest" type media hype...MSNBC just beat them to the punch. But the headline is very flawed.

At the best, I'd give a one half chance in a trillion chance at best of a nuclear problem. The story is a ratings booster since they learned a nuclear power plant (the only one in Mexico) would possibly feel the full brunt of Dean (what ever Dean will be strength wise) on his second Mexican landfall. The effects on the nuclear plant should be small even if there is a direct hit. Also notice how the nuclear reactor only got a few light words in a full, two webpage story.

I'd like to remind everyone that Turkey Point Nuclear Power plant in southern Dade took the full force of Andrew in 1992 as a Category 5 Hurricane. A cooling tower had to be leveled and rebuilt, but there was no damage to the reactor or the containment facility.

If a hurricane is ever strong enough to breach a reactor containment dome...the nuclear plant is the least of our worries.

The Bay of Camp. Dean is not a "nuclear hurricane" by any stretch and the media went a touch too far with this one, as they tend to do when it comes to "Where news is first". Any chance to be the "firstest with the mostest" is worth the risk in the media...but they also did it without lying about the fact that Dean may bring hurricane force winds to a Nuclear Plant. It is a case of crafty wording, and a case of..."I didn't lie, I got your attention, and you just watched MY news". In other words, Dean may hit the plant head on, but there probably won't be any damage...and in the media world, the headline is such that this is accurate reporting. Happens every day.

Anyhow, back to the point of this forum...was a little surprised that Dean regained it's core over the BOC tonight in such a rapid manner...Probably a mid to strong level Cat 2 is a good bet at landfall. The core regeneration process is a mystery when things pull together this fast...Dennis did it after leaving Cuba in '05...and maybe this "D" named storm will be a category 3 at second landfall afterall. That is not cool...

Edited by dem05 (Wed Aug 22 2007 07:33 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16893

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center