F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: water vapor loop [Re: craigm]
      #80017 - Mon Jun 02 2008 02:23 PM

From what I see on the GFS both 00Z and 600Z and the CMC 00Z shows nothing close the the USA. Nor does the other model at this time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: water vapor loop [Re: Old Sailor]
      #80018 - Mon Jun 02 2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

From what I see on the GFS both 00Z and 600Z and the CMC 00Z shows nothing close the the USA. Nor does the other model at this time.

CMC has a closed low showing up about 6 days out. GFS doesn't. Keep in mind it's the CMC

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/CMCTROPATL_0z/cmc144.html

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #80019 - Mon Jun 02 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

CMC has a closed low showing up about 6 days out. GFS doesn't. Keep in mind it's the CMC

Re check the CMC graph which doesn show it.

[url=http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/cmc/fcst/index.html]

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: new spin in E Pac [Re: Old Sailor]
      #80020 - Mon Jun 02 2008 04:15 PM

The NHC has stated this whole conglomeration across Mexico and back out into the E. Pac. is a trough, and the latest visible is indicating a new spin in the E. Pac. Looks a lot like Alma did just before she was officially designated an investigation area.
I personally don't see the W. Carribean throwing a low out toward the U. S. from this, especially if another LLC develops in E.Pac. As for the CMC the closed low it presents spawns from a weakness in the Bahamas, which as of now is not evident. So far it stands alone.

--------------------
doug

Edited by doug (Mon Jun 02 2008 04:19 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
      #80021 - Mon Jun 02 2008 04:28 PM

great loop craig

i think thats a pretty impressive wave with a great twist for this time of year and where is the shear that usually blasts it away from the islands and blows them apart in june and july?

as for the canadian.. i respect it enough to think more on the matter

miami has rain today, lots of moisture, lots of pop up showers turning into big tstorms... not normal afternoon tstorms
the area is juiced up from moisture possibly from the top of arthur that blew off the top of it..

there is a weakness in the high here... could this wave make it up here in 4 or 5 days.. never occured to me the wave could play a part but that wave is tightly wound and everyone is acting like its invisible

thought it would smash into south america a few days ago.. now maybe not

the tropical discussion mentions it too

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: water vapor loop [Re: Old Sailor]
      #80022 - Mon Jun 02 2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Re check the CMC graph which doesn show it.

[url=http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/cmc/fcst/index.html]

O.S. This is bordering on chat so this will be my last post regarding this before I PM.
I pulled this excerpt off the link you provided which may explain why it's not showing up. Great link by the way.

'Why aren't all the closed SLP minima on the model analyses available for phase diagram analysis?
A cyclone will not be analyzed on the phase diagrams if: 1) the cyclone is currently too close to the edge of the model domain, 2) the cyclone does not last for 24h, or 3) the cyclone has a minimum SLP > 1018mb'

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: water vapor loop [Re: LoisCane]
      #80023 - Mon Jun 02 2008 04:49 PM Attachment (196 downloads)

It looks as if there is a little bit of a spin located within the previously strong convenction that is heading north along the eastern Yucatan coastline towards Cozumel. And yes, I can see a very definite looking spin directly west of where the Guatemala/Mexican border meets the E. Pacific. This is a very interestingly placed trough, IMO.

EDIT: Took a look on the current Dvorak image, and the E. Pac circulation shows up really well, although it doesn't appear to be a closed circulation as of yet:

Edited by JoshuaK (Mon Jun 02 2008 04:59 PM)

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Centre on Vis imagery [Re: JoshuaK]
      #80024 - Mon Jun 02 2008 05:15 PM

Visible imagery still shows a circulation centre associated with the remnants of Arthur inland over the Yucatan due south of Chilitepec. This circulation is not moving southwest as forecast, but appears rather to be moving west or just north of west. Will be interesting to see if it shunts nearer the BOC coastline, and if so whether it can kick of any convection over the BOC. The whole disturbance is still setting of some pretty intense convection over the Gulf of Honduras spreading up the eastern Yucatan coast. However, the drier air over the BOC may inhibit convection from developing widely there. As a side note, Invest 91E is up as a result of the remnants of both Alma and Arthur.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Centre on Vis imagery [Re: Rich B]
      #80026 - Mon Jun 02 2008 06:25 PM

Took another look at the visible loop on the GOES 30-min update floater, and it seems I was delusional about the spin off the Yucatan coastline. However, it appears that on it's present course, the center of spin associated with the remains of Arthur will start skirting the BOC coastline with a few hours, and with most of the dry air dipping down on the west side of the BOC, there may be a little room for some convection development.

The circulation area in the gulf of Tehuantepec in the East Pac looks more promising, but appears to be drifting eastwards torwards land, perhaps being nudged along by the broader circulation of Arthur's remains.

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Spawn or Sibling of Alma & Arthur could disrupt ATL development [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80027 - Mon Jun 02 2008 06:55 PM

The consolidating LLCC in the extreme eastern Pacific has just been tagged ( Invest 91E. ) and already is wrapping itself up almost seemingly as quickly as both Alma & Arthur before it.

This feature, probably already very nearly on the cusp of being a numberable cyclone, could significantly disrupt or alter the short-term chances of any significant development over on the Caribbean side.

It goes without saying that this overall region remains a real hotbed for tropical cyclogenesis.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Administrative Note [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80028 - Mon Jun 02 2008 07:19 PM

Just a reminder to all that, for the remainder of the season, comments on EASTPAC systems belong in the Other Storm Basins forum and not on the Main Page thread.
Thanks,
ED

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Administrative Note [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80030 - Mon Jun 02 2008 09:09 PM

Well the latest visible imagery and loops show the centre associated with Arthurs remnants approaching the coast of the BOC between Chilitepec and Ciudad Del Carmen. Little in the way of convective activity over the BOC associated with the circulation, but a small area very near the centre.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Hurricane29
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Miami Florida
Re: Administrative Note [Re: Rich B]
      #80031 - Mon Jun 02 2008 09:46 PM

We had a similar monsoon trough in the area back in 2005 and we saw we happened.Lets hope its not the case this year.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80032 - Tue Jun 03 2008 01:31 PM

Yesterday I downplayed the Bahamas reference in the CMC model because there was nothing there...however my interest was peaked a bit and note today there is at least some signs of upper level activity beginning to play there, Some of the energy there was responsible for frisky TStorms across the lower peninsula in the last couple of days. Maybe this bears watching after all.

--------------------
doug

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: doug]
      #80034 - Tue Jun 03 2008 02:34 PM

I wouldnt put much stock in anything developing in the bahamas. There is alot of high winds aloft and a upper low is forecasted to develop in a few days off Florida. Hopefully that upper low will move to the eastern gulf and give florida alot of rain!!! LOL. So far the rains in florida have been mainly over the southern half of the state and east coast. Tampa, Sarasota....very dry!!

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: scottsvb]
      #80035 - Tue Jun 03 2008 03:40 PM

Climatology wouldn't favor anything developing over the Bahams this early in the season. I am nevertheless waiting that something can come out of this trough(?) across the western & central carribean - especially this time of the year.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80037 - Tue Jun 03 2008 04:19 PM

I don't see the whole pattern being conducive to anything in the near term actually...no sign of the big anticyclone breaking down, which will prevent any of the disturbed activity in the Carribean coming north. I agree the upper air motion across the Bahamas is not favorable. Unless the high moves NE and out to sea a bit, the p[attern will be unfavorable, IMHO.

--------------------
doug

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: doug]
      #80040 - Tue Jun 03 2008 06:01 PM

The wave around 32-35W and 2-15N appears to be getting a little better organised. It has had a consistently good structure but little in the way of convection. However, today has seen a weak circulation develop along the axis near 9N. Shower and thunderstorm activity has increased near this circulation too, and the wave certainly has potential. GFS shows a weak low pressure area tracking just northeast of the Islands and flirting with the Bahamas in about 4 to 5 days, but cant see much other model support for this to do much as yet.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

pschex
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: Rich B]
      #80041 - Tue Jun 03 2008 06:45 PM

To my untrained eyes, it loks like the gulf looks to be a bit more soupy then the last 3-4 days. Clouds are slowly creeping northward and more are forming. As you can tell, I am wishcasting for some moisture in south Louisiana!

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Arthur Starts 2008 Atlantic Season [Re: Rich B]
      #80042 - Tue Jun 03 2008 06:51 PM

That is an interesting looking feature, but a bit early in the season for something to develop in that area. I'd take it as a bad omen if something did develop mid-Atlantic this early in the season. Also, the remnant circulation from Arthur can still be seen along the coast of Mexico at the SW BOC. There is still a lot of unsettled weather in that area moving toward the BOC and western GOM. Could be interesting there as the surface high centered over west central FL begins to move to the NE over the next few days.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 25888

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center