F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Black Pearl
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile Bay
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: West FL Jess]
      #81762 - Sun Aug 17 2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE TO THE FORECAST PHILOSOPHY...ALTHOUGH THE CONFIDENCE HAS DECREASED DUE TO A SPREADING OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE.

It looks like the models have basically split with the official forecast down the middle.

Models

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shewtinstar
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Black Pearl]
      #81774 - Sun Aug 17 2008 02:55 PM

I am very far from being an expert on these things, but it sure looks to me like Fay is dying out.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Black Pearl]
      #81776 - Sun Aug 17 2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

It looks like the models have basically split with the official forecast down the middle.

When the models have a wide divergence, the NHC generally has little choice but to either pick one of the tracks, or split the difference (go with the consensus). That's why you have to look at the cone, rather than the actual forecast lines.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: shewtinstar]
      #81792 - Sun Aug 17 2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

I am very far from being an expert on these things, but it sure looks to me like Fay is dying out.

Its taken a beating for sure, pretty much cut off from its warm ocean energy source by Cuba. Personally I don't believe the 50mph wind estimate at this time, I doubt its blowing over 40 at the center (provided you could even find it!).

Once Fay moves off Cuba its going to start to get squeezed between the low (west of it) and the front (to the north). I just don't see how it can intensify given those conditions. I do see more of turn to the east today versus yesterday so NHC cone appears to be a good average of what could (should?) happen. I think the possibility of Panhandle landing is getting more remote, between Naples and Tampa seems like a better bet. I'd agree with current GFS model, after landfall the track will head east with storm exiting between Daytona and Jacksonville.

Cat 1 at landfall is about it, but given its condition now even that seems like an over estimate. Everything depends on the arch of this turn to the north, if she swings wide she can gain strength, if she cuts the corner tight (like I've been thinking all along) she'll be in Key West and already sucking up drier air off the mainland which will zap any development as she comes ashore about the same place Charley did.

However the sloppyness of this system makes it hard to judge. The center could hop Cuba early or drag right thru the middle of country, either way the vertical structure of Fay as a whole will be ruined so it should remain weak.

The standard disclaimer applies: I'm not a professional, just throwing my dart on the board for comparison.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #81809 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:05 PM

Looking at the water vapor loops this morning/afternoon, I'm beginning to lean toward a more NE or NNE track on Tuesday/Wednesday if the trough axis just south of Louisiana continues to dig and move eastward.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Captain Jed

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay
      #81810 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

agree.Fizzle/drizzle.To all Tampa wishcasters,better luck next time!

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
HMM [Re: Captain Jed]
      #81815 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:23 PM

Hmm It looks like a depresion if you ask me. Fay is WEAK The LLCC is exposed to west of the tiny little blob of convection south of cuba she was under. Her circualtion is tight but small very small. It appears now she is getting away from jaimiaca and what was all that convection and mess south her all day yesterday and before is disapaiting breaking off and is heading south, off west of jaimiaca. The Circualtion seems to haved jogged west and is now crossing the 80th parralel in slightly more open water with the south west more open for breathing and the fact the center is more offshore of cuba, a western jog might be enough to get a better cluster of thunderstorm to fire. the only thing hindering this is that the center is pasing near a mountian with a deecent slope probally drawing cooler drier air from higher altidude being injected in the surface stream. this might be the cause for the center becoming exposed, but im not sure. I belive this evening will bring a big blow of convection over the center before moving inland over night and, well we will see what he have left in the morning.

shewtinstar
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Captain Jed]
      #81818 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

agree.Fizzle/drizzle.To all Tampa wishcasters,better luck next time!

And I was so looking forward to a day off work.

TheOtherRick
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc:
      #81825 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:29 PM

Wait a minute, the 2pm location is radically to the west of the prediction, and picking up speed. Double the disagreement with the NHC prediction of any other point during the life of the storm.

Not getting closer to Cuba, but twice the distance from it, on top of all that warm water.

At the current angle, it would miss Cuba and shoot the gap into the Gulf.

No doubt backroom noise, randomness and uncertainty is a lot of it, but this stands out like a sore thumb.

http://flhurricane.com/googlemap.php?2008s6#

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: TheOtherRick]
      #81828 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:42 PM

Has anyone considerd the bam and its west turn bias the past day or so its been taungted about scince this got going. The longer this stay south and west the beteer its chance of being left behind to speak. being pulled north but not really getting absorbed by the trough and then just being droped like a doller falling out your pocket , then catching the ridge to?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Robert]
      #81867 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:17 PM

Well, Bevin did it in the 5pm discussion.... comparing the current forecast track of Fay to that of Charley.
Of course, this was after casting a huge doubt in the forecast track given the wide spread in models (finally, they mention the wide spread... good job!)... Overall, the current trend means no one can really feel at ease just yet.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Hugh]
      #81873 - Sun Aug 17 2008 10:30 PM

South Florida (Lee Charlotte and Hendry Counties) Has Feeder Bands from Fay (or what I believe to be feeder bands from her)

Check out this link and my attached photos. The clouds In the photos are active lightning clouds.

http://www.winknews.com/weather/radar

And now for the photos:

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

LDH892
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Carolinas
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81880 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:07 PM

StrmTrckrMiami - the thunderstorm activity you're seeing is not associated with Fay. Fay is more than 400 miles away. The storms are part of the overall e-w synoptic flow, but IMO they are in not feeder-bands into the tropical cyclone.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: LDH892]
      #81881 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:12 PM

On Satellite it looks as though they are the feeder bands,.

http://www.winknews.com/

Check out the one that shows Fay and the one that shows florida..

--------------------

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #81896 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:47 PM

The very latest GFDL shifted East again. I need to stop looking at the models now.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #81897 - Sun Aug 17 2008 11:49 PM

Mike,

The models dont seem to know what they are doing for some reason.

--------------------

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #81903 - Mon Aug 18 2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

The very latest GFDL shifted East again. I need to stop looking at the models now.

Last GFDL I saw was an eastern outlier already.... BAMM is really odd now.... calling for landfall in Tampa, and then turning around and heading for Pensacola.

Who's feeding the data into the computers, a sicko?

--------------------
Hugh

LDH892
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Carolinas
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #81908 - Mon Aug 18 2008 12:52 AM

StrmTrckrMiami - I looked at the radar loop of the storms in your area earlier, and as I said above they are not feeder-bands. Feeder-bands are more developed linearly and are typically directly linked to pull moisture into the cyclone. Do a google search of feeder bands to find out more, or you can visit this site that I just found - link hope this helps.

Addicted2Cane
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: LDH892]
      #81927 - Mon Aug 18 2008 02:19 AM

What?

--------------------
Where is the wind and rain...I NEED to sleep!!

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Fay Forecast Lounge [Re: Hugh]
      #81931 - Mon Aug 18 2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Who's feeding the data into the computers, a sicko?

Garbage in / Garbage out They can't get a fix on the center thus the models keep jumping around.

Instead of looking at the storm itself I keep looking at the conditions in its general path. IE: what's going in NW FL, where is the High over the Atlantic, what about the low-level spin in the Gulf. Storms always take the path of least resistance, see where ever the clear "road" is thats were she'll go. Of course if you can't tell where she is currently that makes this whole process rather silly and pointless.

The models have moved west but I still see a general flow to the east. I just don't see how this storm can get that far up the state before being pushed aside by westerly flow shown in the water vapor loop: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html However the problem I see down the road is that since the storm has slowed down (again) it might just miss the big dip in the upper level over TN and sneak in behind it. The low pressure ahead Fay in the Gulf is dropping further south so its effects are being minimized with each passing hour, thus maybe she'll slide even further west, I wonder if this is what the models are grabbing onto.

Then again these effects are mostly pronounced on more vertically stacked and developed storms. The weaker Fay stays the harder it is to judge just what will effect her the most.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 102267

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center