F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: doug]
      #83884 - Wed Sep 03 2008 05:26 PM

Looking at the Caribbean - Infrared Channel 2 Loop:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/loop-ir2.html

It looks to me if the center of Hanna is around
23N 71W

To me it looks like it is moving NNW

Looking at this loop and the whole picture, the "S"
look is starting to appear.
Hanna is growing in size, I think that once it starts moving
it really could get herself together.
To me it looks like the shear has relaxed, and outflow is improving.

Now looking at this loop:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/nwatl/loop-ir2.html

Wont the two lows one off of the NC (1012), and the other off New England (1004) effect the track of Hanna?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: LoisCane]
      #83885 - Wed Sep 03 2008 05:32 PM

Well you can still see what should be an exposed circulation at the point where the last fix was after all. But....it is not moving and I think another circulation feature is beneath that convective activity just based on the overall impresion in the circulation .
If that is true, it seems to be moving NW and that would keep Hanna to the east of the track., but would also allow for intensification. If the exposed area is the true circulation center, then Hanna is still very ill and not moving much.

--------------------
doug

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: doug]
      #83887 - Wed Sep 03 2008 05:44 PM

Hanna is weak and the only reason there are T-Storms in the blow up is due to the interaction with the ULL. Hanna isn't creating her own storms right now as its under strong southerly shear by the upper low to her WNW. As the upper low continues to move SW, Hanna will have a chance to get better organized later tonight as she moves more WNW to near GrandBahama island by Thursday. We will see tonight if she can increase T-Storm activity as I suspect the current blow up of storms might fizzle some this evening!

Raymond
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Germany
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: scottsvb]
      #83888 - Wed Sep 03 2008 05:50 PM

Recon found the center just south of the convective blob with 21.5 N/ 72 W. Central pressure is 995 hPa. Strongest winds until now: 47 kt flight level/ 44 kt surface. So it´s on a NNO track.

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: Raymond]
      #83893 - Wed Sep 03 2008 07:52 PM

I was wondering what anyone thought of the 12Z ECMWF that still shows Hanna brushing our coast, versus all the other models taking her well east; in the past, hasn't the ECM been a pretty reliable model?

TheElNino1

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: crpeavley]
      #83894 - Wed Sep 03 2008 08:01 PM

The latest 12Z European model shows Ike not Hanna brushing the East coast of Florida.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: TheElNino1]
      #83895 - Wed Sep 03 2008 08:09 PM

You are correct in regards to the ECMWF.....Lets try to keep the model postings for the most part in the Lounge. Things seem to be about to ramp up.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: TheElNino1]
      #83896 - Wed Sep 03 2008 08:10 PM

It's a reliable model but still a week away. It seems some of the models are beginning to pick up a turn at various points either the Florida coast or east of it. It is still to early to tell.

jessiej
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pembroke Pines, Fl
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: MikeC]
      #83897 - Wed Sep 03 2008 08:53 PM Attachment (384 downloads)

I attached a graphic that shows the tracks of Hanna, Ike, & Jo. It's amazing that in 120 hrs., Ike is projected to be where Hanna's projected in 24hrs; and in 120 hrs.; Jo. is projected to be where Ike is projected in 12 hrs.

--------------------
Katrina 2005
Wilma 2005

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: jessiej]
      #83898 - Wed Sep 03 2008 09:03 PM

It is now Hurricane Ike, per 5pm NHC forecast.

kromdog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: Random Chaos]
      #83902 - Wed Sep 03 2008 10:36 PM

Just as predicted with a possibility of a cat 3 around day 5. We will have to wait and see if around day 5 it will move more north around the ridge or be pushed further west. Someone may be looking at a major hurricane.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: kromdog]
      #83903 - Wed Sep 03 2008 11:19 PM

Did she really stall? I commuted back home after work, took a shower and went online and got 3 emails that she stalled?

So, did she stall or was she never really moving? Was she relocated or moving?

Why did she stall?

This is getting important. Honestly. She has Ike coming on her tail now and this set up is more complex now than it was this morning.

Beginning to get a little worried on Hanna's movement for the first time today.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-wv.html

Imagine by 11 she will have crawled a bit to the nw..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #83904 - Wed Sep 03 2008 11:29 PM

Just to clear up some confusion, Hanna is moving pretty quickly to the north now, and if it affects land, it would be in the Carolinas. I'm starting to lean toward it having less of a chance of landfall at all, and I'm glad for that.

However the forecast still has it arriving in the Carolinas (for this one especially ignore the center line), and unless it redevelops a strong core, I don't see it getting to major hurricane status.

Ike may be a Cat 3 later on, and it's still open to either move south, stall over the Bahamas (Again, sorry Bahamians), or curve out to sea, or eventually into the Southeast. We'll have to watch it because it's still a week away!.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: MikeC]
      #83907 - Wed Sep 03 2008 11:53 PM

It's hard to make out Hanna's movement. Thanks for clearing that up. All the models seem to agree so she should be off the Carolinas as Ike approaches the Bahamas.

Cat 3... did I miss Cat 2?

Boy commuting really throws a wrench in tracking. Amazing.

This season is truly going to be one to look back at..

Had it mentioned that if Josephine pulls it together down the road she should have some running room as there is some nice spacing between her and Ike.

--------------------

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #83908 - Wed Sep 03 2008 11:56 PM

NHC Special Advisory - 8pm EDT:

Ike Category 3 Hurricane - 100kt

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/032346.shtml

"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT IKE HAS BEEN RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING AND HAS
DEVELOPED AN EYE THAT IS SURROUNDED BY VERY COLD CLOUD TOPS."

See the link for the rest of it.

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: Random Chaos]
      #83909 - Thu Sep 04 2008 12:28 AM

So on tuesday morning, i left New Orleans and drove home to florida seeing Hanna and ike (and that NOLA was in pretty good shape). The NOLA and Baton Rouge areas were a mess BUT there was not the devastation that we saw with Katrina nor damage from a Cat 4/5 that we feared. NOLA dodged a bullet.

Though we do not anticipate a significant impact from Hanna in central and south florida, some EOCs are going to a level 2 on thursday nite......just in case. So i'll have slept in 2 different EOCs for 2 different storms within the same week. A personal record! Hanna should bring a breeze and some rain but i think it will stay curved on up to the Carolinas.

What concerns me more is Ike. Projections show Ike reaching cat 3 or possibly cat 4 within 5 days and in striking distance of a south florida hit. Still too early to know BUT Ike bears careful watching and maybe some careful planning....

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: Sheeper]
      #83918 - Thu Sep 04 2008 02:59 AM

Ike is now a Cat 4.

Not good at all. My family is in Miami and I've gone off to college in Sarasota. I am still hopeful that it will make for the Florida Straits rather than South Florida.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #83919 - Thu Sep 04 2008 03:05 AM

Cat 4 with some strengthening expected. Ike could be a Cat 5 by morning. Amazing.

Could want to go more poleward with early strengthening...

Beautiful storm, have to say that. Wondering how his rapid intensification might change the track if at all.

Wouldn't a stronger storm want to go more poleward? we'll see if he takes that dip or not.

Either way... has to be up there with one of the fastest rapid intensifications in recent history.

--------------------

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #83920 - Thu Sep 04 2008 03:14 AM

It will go poleward if it feels a weakness. A ridge is building today (Thursday) over the western Atlantic near 70W and this will cause IKE to move WSW or even SW towards Hispaniola and Cuba. Eventually if he gets far enough south, does he interact with 1 of them? That will be the first question starting up cause if so, it will be on Saturday or Sunday.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hanna Still Stalled, Ike Moving West [Re: scottsvb]
      #83921 - Thu Sep 04 2008 03:35 AM

I have a thought concerning Hanna. If the storm accelerates to the NNE as it is predicted to do once hitting or brushing by North Carolina, then won't it's fast forward momentum help to increase the impact of winds on the eastern side of the storm? Let's say that the storm, for example, makes a landfall at Conneticut, Rhode Island, or long island. If the storm is, as forecasted to be, having winds of 60 mph, with a movement speed of 30 or so mph, then won't the right side of the storm have hurricane force winds in the strong Cat 1 category? It's something to think about, at least, that a large area of New England could be impacted with hurricane force winds even though the storm would be of Tropical Storm strength.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 35229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center