Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The well-defined Tropical Low (98L) continues producing hvy rain, wind and tstorms over N MX and SW TX. Atlantic waking up.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 337 (Nicholas) , Major: 352 (Ida) Florida - Any: 1406 (Michael) Major: 1406 (Michael)

Archives 2010s >> 2011 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area
      #91840 - Thu Aug 25 2011 06:56 AM

This is to report weather conditions, or general how people are treating the storm in your local area. Anywhere along the southeastern coast into New England.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FIREREALTY

Reged: Sat
Loc: BOCA RATON, FL
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #91844 - Thu Aug 25 2011 07:52 AM

Just started seeing some of the bands here in Boca Raton now, windy when they come through, and been breeeeeezy all night.

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Leesburg, FL
      #91853 - Thu Aug 25 2011 10:54 AM

I'm here in Orlando and just experienced the second squally weather line within the past hour. I am surprised to see any weather this far away from Irene.

Post moved to appropriate forum.
Ciel

Edited by cieldumort (Thu Aug 25 2011 12:35 PM)

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: k___g]
      #91875 - Thu Aug 25 2011 04:34 PM

Orlando?? Just had a squally rain band more through Plant City headed toward Tampa. It got dark with quite a brisk cool wind whistling though school (thankfully we had just gotten our charges on the buses!) then rained quite hard and horizontal for all of about 15 minutes and now has stopped completely.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #91876 - Thu Aug 25 2011 04:48 PM

Surf here in Vero Beach was impressive the last couple of hours. Waves a good 12 foot pounding the beach. Just bands of rain (some heavy but only a few) and good winds of 20-25 MPH

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Sheeper]
      #91879 - Thu Aug 25 2011 05:34 PM

Report from Abaco and Man O War Cay (MOW):

Rebekah Roberts from Man O War Cay next to Abaco is in Orlando, but just posted this:
about an hour ago ยท
"Just heard from home, we lost part of our back roof, a window broke in, others have lost parts of roofs & parts of their houses, shutters that were on houses blew off, coconut trees that didn't blow down during Floyd are down, lots of damage sounds like & it's not even over!! crazyyyy sounds like home, a real mess, worse than hurrican Floyd on some parts of MOW!"

"The eye came by to the west of Hope Town Inn & Marina around 2:00 this afternoon. We are now experiencing the tail end of Irene and it's still pretty windy. Winds are now coming out of the SW with gusts 100+ via Hope Town Inn & Marina."

"As of 2:52 pm the eye is over the Marls on the backside of Marsh Harbor, parallel to Hope Town, tracking between Guana and Green Turtle Cay. Winds 115 mph and traveling at 14."

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Bev]
      #91880 - Thu Aug 25 2011 05:38 PM

Tampa actually has been nice for most of the day. Fairly good breeze, mixed with clouds. But no rain. Do see on Long Range bands moving in from across the state.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #91892 - Thu Aug 25 2011 09:07 PM

With Irene a little over 200 miles ESE of my location at 9 pm: my current weather: cloudy, 78F, Wind NNE17G28. Brief torrential rainfall (0.45") with a wind gust of 38 mph from the ENE was observed around 6 pm when the outer band pushed in from the ENE off the Atlantic Ocean (5 miles east of my location). I'm thankfull to be just far enough away from Irene to appreciate her beauty and not feel all of her wrath. May those in her path stay safe.

Edited by cieldumort (Thu Aug 25 2011 10:19 PM)

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Loc: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Irene in Volusia County [Re: MikeC]
      #91894 - Thu Aug 25 2011 10:09 PM

Here in New Smyrna Beach we are enjoying a wonderful evening: its cool (79F), NE breeze (blows away the bugs), with a stronger wind gust from time to time. Its hard to believe that there is a major hurricane just off our shores.

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma

Bev
Weather Guru

Re: Irene in Bahamas [Re: vineyardsaker]
      #91903 - Fri Aug 26 2011 12:54 AM

Good news from the Bahamas. No loss of life on Hope Town, Man O' War, Green Turtle, Elbow, Treasure, Lubbers, Tilloo or Harbour Island.

Many trees and poles down, roof shingles, some flooding, Marsh Harbour roads are drivable (improvement over Floyd). Lost contact with Cherokee at 3 p.m. the water was over the government docks, and tide was rising. May be worse flooding there than in M.H. but hope for better news in the morning.

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
      #91919 - Fri Aug 26 2011 09:56 AM

As of 7am this morning, I recorded 1.12" of rain in past 24 hours, observed a wind gust NNE 38 mph shortly before midnight, and a low barometric pressure of 29.63" in the early morning hours as the center of Irene passed by approx 200 miles to the east. With Irene now past my latitude and pulling away, currently experiencing intermittent light rain showers (breaks in cloud cover visible to the west),wind NNW 10-20 mph, gusting to 28 mph.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

Edited by IsoFlame (Fri Aug 26 2011 09:58 AM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: IsoFlame]
      #91940 - Fri Aug 26 2011 03:30 PM

http://streamer.screaminstreamin.net/TheCrownReefResort.asx

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Bev
Weather Guru

Re: Irene in Bahamas [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #91944 - Fri Aug 26 2011 05:33 PM

Report just in from the Cherokee, Abaco:

The bridge is gone, long dock gone, Randy's dock gone - ended up in the creek by the station.

Rich's seawall by the Sand Bar gone. Houses have severe water damage but no roofs gone or anything. For Cherokee this was a water event, not as much wind damage.

The water got all the way to Becky Lee and Mitchell's house in Yellow Wood, but not inside.

CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Wilmington/Kure Beach, NC
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #91948 - Fri Aug 26 2011 06:34 PM

We have had 2.30" of rain here today - the winds are at 28 gusting to 38.

--------------------
My Storms - Hugo, Bertha, Bonnie, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene. Arthur

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: CarolinaGurl]
      #91953 - Fri Aug 26 2011 07:13 PM

The Wilmington, NC long range radar loop has a very good presentation:

Wilmington, NC long range radar loop

--------------------
Michael

WU PWS

CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Wilmington/Kure Beach, NC
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: MichaelA]
      #91963 - Fri Aug 26 2011 11:18 PM

Local tv WECT is on bambuser.com from Wilmington, NC

Up to 5.18 inches of rain now, TS force winds.

--------------------
My Storms - Hugo, Bertha, Bonnie, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene. Arthur

TXEB
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Lake Jackson, TX
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: CarolinaGurl]
      #91971 - Sat Aug 27 2011 09:32 AM

At ~ 09:00 EDT Irene looks to be right over Morehead City. Base Doppler images are impressive.

Morehead City Doppler Radar

Morehead City didn't/hasn't gotten out the 09:00 conditions, but from Beaufort the pressure showed 28.12" (952.3 mb), and wind gusts in the area have been running 60-65 mph. The area is showing about 6-7" of rain since about 15:00 yesterday.

Morehead City Forecast & Conditions

Long range Doppler images from various sites going up the coast from Wilmington to Dover DE show rain bands from W of ILM now just reaching to past Dover. I make that to be about a 375 mile spread. At an average speed of 15 mph, that equates to about 24-25 hours of potential for rainfall in the region.

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
      #91982 - Sat Aug 27 2011 02:54 PM

Some reported peak wind gusts so far out of North Carolina

NWS Storm Report of 115mph peak gust at the Cedar Island Ferry Terminal (LINK)

TWC's Jeff Morrow reports of a peak gust in Atlantic Beach of 103mph* early this morning, which knocked out broadcasts of other news outlets in the immediate area. (LINK)
*Later updated to have been as high as 110mph.

NWS Storm Report of 83mph gust at KPEI located 19 mi. SSE of Naggs Head (LINK)

NWS Storm Report of gusts to 90mph in Aurora (LINK)

NWS Storm Report of 86mph peak gust in James City (LINK)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: cieldumort]
      #91987 - Sat Aug 27 2011 03:54 PM

North of Annapolis, MD

@ 3:54pm:

Anemometer is reading 27mph. It is known to under report. I am guessing around 35mph from readings earlier today combined with data from nearby weather stations.

Moderately heavy driving rain coming through.

Waves are 2-3 feet on the bay.

@4:10pm:

Power flickered a bit, didn't go out.

@4:50pm:

Surface winds have dropped a bit - around 25-30mph. However, elevation winds just 15-20 feet up appear to have increased based on tree motion. I'm going to guess 35-40mph.

Heavy driving rain now.

Can't wait for the wind to swing more northward so that the house handles it better (corner faces north whereas two flat walls face NE and NW).

@5:35pm:

More power flickering. Glad I have battery backups on my computer!

Edited by Random Chaos (Sat Aug 27 2011 05:40 PM)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Loc: Manchester, NH
      #91990 - Sat Aug 27 2011 05:31 PM Attachment (475 downloads)

I went to do some last minute laundry, and it is 5:30pm here in Manchester, NH and were feeling the tropical effects and getting hit with her feeder bands (See attached). Wind has picked up and is about 5-10mph here. It is dark and looks like it is going to rain.

Can I ask why they keep changing her from a hurricane to a tropical storm for my area?

Post moved to more appropriate forum.
Ciel

Edited by cieldumort (Sat Aug 27 2011 05:51 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #92041 - Mon Aug 29 2011 05:39 PM

Lost power about 8:00pm Saturday. Just got power back today (don't know when, I was at work). Still over 300,000 from my power provider (they serve about 1.2 million), including almost everyone in my immediate area.

Storm was really violent from about 11pm to 3am - guessing that is when we got the 50-60mph winds. More to come.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Random Chaos]
      #92042 - Mon Aug 29 2011 06:57 PM

Some data from my area, per NWS:

Nearest buoy to me read 49mph gust at 9pm. The storm did not get intense until about 11pm. In fact, there are no strongest readings during the 4 hour period that I had the strongest winds: 11pm to 3am.

Looking at other nearby reports, the highest value on a buoy around 6 miles south of me was a 69mph gust. Again, not when I had the strongest winds.

I had no house damage other than a few shingles. One decent sized tree limb came down (about 4-5" diameter) but hit nothing. A shed that was ready to fail did (it was already having issues before the storm, and was well rusted). Down the way from me, though, quite a lot of trees went over, including some blocking roads. Luckily none of them hit power lines, meaning our outage was further up the system (the entire substation was out).

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33346

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center