Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Very quiet now as shear and dry Saharan air cover much of the Atlantic
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 295 (Nicholas) , Major: 311 (Ida) Florida - Any: 1365 (Michael) Major: 1365 (Michael)

Archives 2010s >> 2016 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: FullerFinds]
      #97457 - Thu Oct 06 2016 09:06 PM

9:04 pm - October 6, 2016

Strongest gust I've seen on SailFlow so far is 66 mph on Juno Beach Pier at 7:05 pm. Just the beginning though.

Edit: The strongest gust in Florida I mean (above comment).

The SailFlow station on Berry Islands had a 101 mph gust at 3:48 pm today.

--------------------
Gulfport, Florida USA - Personal Weather Station:
KFLGULFP5

Watch the best Clearwater Beach Cams:
Clearwater Beach Cams

Edited by Prospero (Thu Oct 06 2016 09:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IsoFlame
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Prospero]
      #97462 - Thu Oct 06 2016 09:42 PM

9:20 pm weather: 80F, wind-driven moderate to occasionally heavy intensity rain, wind NE 22 mph, gusting to 35 mph in heavier bands of rain.
Rainfall (since noon): 0.55"
Surf conditions: very consistent breaking surf 6-8 feet and building, wind-driven foam in the surf break with a strong north to south current
Tide: incoming, high 12:20 am

Constant roar of building "Victory at Sea" surf is even louder than the wind and driving rain one block off the beach. Roads are deserted. Sheriff's deputies are positioned at each end of the causeway restricting access from the mainland to beachside, but you can still leave to evacuate (as of 9 pm). When the wind reaches 45 mph the causeway will close to all traffic.

A band of persistent and heavy rain spiraled between New Smyrna Beach and Mims this evening, and Doppler estimates 4-6" of rain has fallen from the coast in a southwest arc extending well inland past the north side of Orlando. Very glad not to have this band in my area to saturate the SOIl and weaken tree roots ahead of hurricane force winds

The wobbly, painfully slow cyclonic "half-loop" that Matthew's eye made near West End of Grand Bahamas hopefully will not happen here in east Volusia after the hurricane tracks across/near the Cape tomorrow. Will report conditions around 6 am Friday if we still have Brighthouse. G'nite and stay safe.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
      #97464 - Thu Oct 06 2016 09:43 PM

Relatively calm here in mid-Pinellas County. The NWS station at St. Pete/Clearwater airport reported 14 mph sustained and a 21 mph gust at the 8:53 PM observation. My two bit home anemometer only logs 1 minute averages, not gusts. It had a max of 17.5 mph at 7:50 PM. There have only been some light rain showers so far this evening. I'm expecting only some bumpy squalls throughout the day tomorrow.

--------------------
Michael

WU PWS

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #97465 - Thu Oct 06 2016 09:48 PM

NW Hillsborough County (Westchase/Citrus Park), Thursday, 9:46pm

Breezy and gusty, intermittent rain, not too bad. Had to drive over the Skyway twice today and THAT was rough. Wouldn't be shocked if they close it for a while later tonight or tomorrow. Saw DOT flashing highway status signs on I-75 for a shelter at Braden HS in Manatee county, I'm guessing for people coming up I-75 from the Alley.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

JMII
Weather Master

Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: madmumbler]
      #97470 - Thu Oct 06 2016 10:04 PM

Last update for the night from me unless something major happens here in Coral Springs. Pressure has finally stopped falling thus its clear the center of Matt is pulling away from SFL. Wind is coming more from the N now. We have gotten about 0.4" of rain but it appears more is on the way. Average wind speed is up, but gust have stabilized, however any strong band could quickly change that. Watching the radar loop the worst bands are still to come, but Matt is pulling away thus they may never reach this far south. For those to north... stay safe its going to be a rough night.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, but actually had to put up the panels for:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Frances ('04) - Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16) - Irma ('17)

Lots Of Canes

Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: madmumbler]
      #97471 - Thu Oct 06 2016 10:04 PM

I'm about 3 miles in from Flagler Beach. Little gusty already. Not much rain yet though.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Lots Of Canes]
      #97478 - Thu Oct 06 2016 10:11 PM

We are getting rain and some gusty winds..but nothing major yet. I can't tell you what the winds are but I would guess 10-15 gusts. Starting to rain harder here now.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

DJINFLA
Weather Watcher

Loc: Sebastian, FL
      #97483 - Thu Oct 06 2016 10:36 PM

Getting pretty windy outside and Matthew's not even here yet. A squall coming through it sounds like. Can't see because we're shuttered in and don't want to open the East-facing door. Quite surprised to still have power. I here that the river front in Sebastian and Vero has been getting very choppy and rising. The Indian River County Sheriff's department has been posting pictures. We're watching football just to try to keep mind off of what is coming. It's gonna suck in a couple of hours or so. I just wish this would get over, and really, really hope that Matthew calms down/heads east (great band by the way.) Not sure what impact Nicole will have on it, but will find out next week, I'm sure.

gailwarning
Weather Watcher

Loc: Satellite Beach FL
      #97489 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:44 PM

Located in Viera, near the Melbourne line and about a mile east of I95. There's pretty consistent wind, which seems to be coming from the south. Moderate to heavy rain. The gusts are now strong enough to rattle the accordian shutters around the lanai.

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: gailwarning]
      #97494 - Fri Oct 07 2016 02:13 AM

--------------------
Survived Charley at Cat 4 under a staircase. Won't do that again. I watch SW Florida and Abaco primarily.

jmontalb

Reged: Mon
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: gailwarning]
      #97495 - Fri Oct 07 2016 02:14 AM

In Sebastian, 40 - 50 sustained, gusting to 70+ with heavy rain. Shutters taking a beating with flying debris. Still have power though! Yay FPL!

IsoFlame
Weather Guru

Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: jmontalb]
      #97501 - Fri Oct 07 2016 03:48 AM

3:20 am weather: 78F, wind-driven moderate to occasionally heavy intensity rain, wind NNE 35 mph, gusting 45-50 mph in heavier bands of rain.
Rainfall (since 9 pm): 1"+ (inside tube of the 11" gauge is full and the maybe 1/2" has collected in the outer cylinder) Didn't want to spend much time outside in the yard given the conditions. I'll read and dump gauge at 7 am weather observation for CoCoRaHS network.
Surf conditions: Will not be able to visually check until conditions settle down. There is a curfew in effect until 7 am Saturday morning. From what I heard when briefly checking rain gauge and thermometer, the wind and pelting rain are now louder than the sound of the ocean one block away (surf was 6-8 feet and building yesterday evening)
Tide at Sunglow pier: outgoing, low 6:18 am

Was hoping to sleep until 5 am, but conditions at my location worsened sooner than I expected, so I'm up for good. We have been getting tropical storm weather since around 2 am. Given in increasing size of Matthew's wind field, I'm expecting hurricane conditions shortly after sunrise. There are some 3" or less diameter tree branches down in my neighborhood, along with an aluminum awning and assorted trash bins. I've seen several bright flashes outside, assume from transformers being tested by wind and rain. Still, we have power thanks to the FPL overhead line hardening project beachside this summer. My pets (2 yellow labs and a calico cat) are staying close to heal.

Very good news in the last update with forecast potentially keeping Matthew's eye from making a hard landfall. Still, worried about a possible wobble west near the Cape that could put coastal Volusia in the west side of outer eyewall.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

Edited by IsoFlame (Fri Oct 07 2016 05:09 AM)

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: IsoFlame]
      #97507 - Fri Oct 07 2016 04:48 AM

Wave heights of 30 feet from buoy just off Cape Canaveral
[image]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuJwnUJUEAEy0KB.jpg:large[/image]

Edited by Bev (Fri Oct 07 2016 04:50 AM)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: Bev]
      #97512 - Fri Oct 07 2016 06:02 AM

Winds are starting to pick up quite a bit here in Daytona Beach area. Happy to see Matthew is to stay off shore with the center. Still have power, which is nice.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: NewWatcher]
      #97514 - Fri Oct 07 2016 07:27 AM

Wonder if Seminole county will lift the curfew before the stated time of Saturday at 0700.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #97516 - Fri Oct 07 2016 07:36 AM

Winds are picking up here in Gulfport this morning with a 38 mph gust at Clam Bayou. Egmont Channel recorded a 43 mph gust at 7:11 am for the first Tropical Storm force gust I've seen in the Tampa Bay area. The storm is moving away, but we may still have some increase in winds. Looks like a few hundred Duke Energy customers are without power due to trees down.

Winds on the Skyway Bridge are maintaining a good 25 to 35 mph, but is still open right now.

--------------------
KFLGULFP5

Clearwater Beach Cams

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #97520 - Fri Oct 07 2016 08:03 AM

Winds still cranking here on the coast in Indiatlantic. Now that its light outside I can see that there is going to be a massive clean up the next few days. I can see some trees half blown down and a lot of stockade fences gone or in pieces. Big time tree debris all over. Rain has tapered off some what but winds are blowing very hard out of the WSW. I wonder what the beach looks like? I don`t see any roof damage as of yet, until I do a recon when things calm down to something a little more comfortable to go outside. I still have power, knock on wood.

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #97521 - Fri Oct 07 2016 08:16 AM

44 mph gust at Clearwater Beach Pier this morning with sustained winds between 30 and 40 mph.

Live Streaming Clearwater Beach Cam

--------------------
KFLGULFP5

Clearwater Beach Cams

IMTechspec
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Orlando
      #97522 - Fri Oct 07 2016 08:36 AM

My weather station on the East side of Orlando is showing sustained winds in the 15 MPH range. Max gust was 40 at 06:35 EDT,
as the eye is moving just North of due East, and thankfully staying just off shore.
Pressure is hanging around 988mb and that is the low for today here.

2 inches of rain yesterday. 1.2 inches so far today.
There is another band moving this way, so the totals will move up a bit.

We still have power. Hopefully it stays that way.

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: Matthew - Conditions in Your Area [Re: IMTechspec]
      #97523 - Fri Oct 07 2016 09:18 AM

Starting to get a wee bit better here. I`m going to suit up and take a recon around the hood to see what kind of damage happened. I really want to know how the Crowne Plaza where I work fared the storm. I`ll try and get up there after I see how my neighbors are doing. I`m going to walk up to A1A to see its drivable, I`ll probably have to walk to the hotel. Still have power , no water pressure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 95111

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center