F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

92L East of the Bahamas up to 50% chance for development. NE Florida and Georgia should watch closely. Area behind Alberto up to 60% chance to develop.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 295 (Idalia) , Major: 295 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 295 (Idalia) Major: 295 (Idalia)
22.3N 102.0W
Wind: 30MPH
Pres: 1000mb
Moving:
W at 24 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
Invest 92LClick for Invest Information from CIMSS
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US

General Discussion >> 2024 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1
Ken S.

Reged:
90L
      #114870 - Wed Jun 05 2024 02:35 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Is anyone picking up on the GFS long range forecast? Looks like something brewing in the gulf around June 15th.

The feature the GFS was sometimes sniffing out for around the 15th has verified a few days ahead of GFS's schedule as a weak area of enhanced rotation along a stationary boundary that lies SW-NE from about the Yucatan across central Florida, and has been tagged as Invest 90L. As of morning 6/11/24, NHC has assigned it 20% odds of becoming a tropical cyclone within the next 7 days, but per NHC, only once it has crossed Florida and is offshore of the Southeastern US. The title has been updated accordingly. - Ciel

Edited by cieldumort (Tue Jun 11 2024 05:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: GFS long range forecast [Re: Ken S.]
      #114871 - Sat Jun 08 2024 06:41 PM

Central American Gyre is now evident and some other models are coming on board with initiation in the region about that time.

If conditions allow, a spin-off TC would become better organized, but most model members calling for development are also forecasting something of a wet and sloppy, which would be typical this time of year.

We should have a clearer picture by early to mid next week. At present, NHC isn't even outlining a low probability in their 7 day outlook, but it wouldn't surprise to see that change.

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: GFS long range forecast [Re: cieldumort]
      #114874 - Tue Jun 11 2024 01:27 PM

The NHC tagged the gulf area this AM with a 0-20% chance of developement. Looks to bring some much needed rain into FL this week.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: GFS long range forecast [Re: JMII]
      #114877 - Wed Jun 12 2024 01:00 AM

Looking at [url= https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/]earth.nullschool.net[/url], the system is rather shallow with the circulation not extending up to 700 mb. Sheer sets in above 700 mb.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: 90L [Re: Ken S.]
      #114878 - Wed Jun 12 2024 01:46 AM

Fairly feisty on final approach along the west coast.
While highly sheared, very lopsided and hybrid, 90L did manage to attain nearly or just barely tropical storm force winds about its core

Station 42013 with an anemometer elevation of 3 meters above sea level.
Adjusting up to 10m renders sustained winds of about 32 knots (37 MPH)

Sarasota–Bradenton International official anemometer with sustained of up to 29 MPH

Some time over the Gulf Stream with less shear may indeed be all the window 90L needs to earn a name for however short a time that may last

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: 90L [Re: cieldumort]
      #114879 - Wed Jun 12 2024 02:05 AM

Key West NWS recorded a 51 mph gust.

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: 90L [Re: JMII]
      #114880 - Wed Jun 12 2024 03:40 PM

90L and the plume of moisture streaming up from the SW (aka Yucatan Express) is giving previously parched, wildfire-riddled central Fla a much -needed soaking... maybe a bit too much for the low-lying urban watersheds. I recorded 0.99" yesterday afternoon for the most meaningful rain to date in June. Two friends living a bit south (Oak Hill) and west (Christmas) measured 1/2' during past 36 hours.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: 90L [Re: JMII]
      #114881 - Wed Jun 12 2024 03:45 PM

This system has created a historical level of rainfall for Sarasota:
https://www.wfla.com/weather/sarasota-rainfall-is-nearly-a-1-in-1000-year-event/
8" of rain in just 3 hours

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1492

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center