F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Labor Day Weekend - Action in the Tropics
      #2357 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:50 PM

Troy you can put your email address in on the login screen and it should send you the password.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

#2358 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:51 PM

I foung the " Area Forecats Discussion from TLH/MLB " link..well same info just at another link troy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2359 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:52 PM

Troy heres the link to floridas NWS discussions...
http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/fl/discussion.html

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
      #2360 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:00 PM

The bahamas system appears to have good outflow. Although latest ir sat loop shows thunderstorms decreasing there appears to be some building clouds again near center. With a reported pressure of 1008mb this could be are next TD before the days over with. Quick Scat winds show winds about 30 kts with this area.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #2361 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:03 PM

TD#5 AT 5PM!!!

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #2362 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:07 PM

Aye, the low in the Southeastern Bahamas may be another to deal with if TD#5 doesn't do much. We may be dealing with two systems in quick sucession on the East coast...

Alex k
Unregistered

Storm close to US on labor day(what we don't need)
      #2363 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:09 PM

If the low near the bahamas (94L) is becoming a depression, than the east coast from florida to North Carolina MUST keep an eye out. While I doubt that it will become anything stronger than a tropical storm, it will make going to the beach along the Southeast coast require careful planning. I'm trying not to be a doomsayer; I'm just saying that especially this weekend, vacationers should be careful.
Whenever I think of labor day, I tend to remember people in Massachusets boarding up their houses in case of Hurricane Edouard. The hurricane ended up swinging to the east missing Long Island and Cape Cod, but now I will always connect Labor Day with hurricanes.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
TD#5
      #2364 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:11 PM

Joe....have they posted any information on TD#5 such as windspeed, direction etc? Or just that it's formed? Wow. That was fast.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Storm close to US on labor day(what we don't need)
      #2365 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:15 PM

Good points about beach safety. I noticed on the NRL Monterey Page that they took down the coordinates off the visibles in just the last few minutes. It was 28.0N/74.0W.

Well, this should prove to be an interesting weekend...and don't forget, this storm (if it continues westward) will be crossing the Gulfstream, which could cause a rapid intensification to happen.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
LOOKING GOOD
      #2366 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:17 PM

Outflow of storm looks great. Convection on the wane. Let's see overnight if the convection really blossoms or the warmer water in front of it helps it blossom.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Storm Location
      #2367 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:23 PM

If it is at 28N 74 W, that would be 430 miles due east of Melbourne.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Labor Day troubles.
      #2368 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:39 PM

Everyone along the U.S. East Coast, especially Florida, MUST keep a very close eye on TD 5 tomorrow. Normally this woudln't be a big thing...but with many nutcases on the roads (drunks included), we could be in for a rough Labor Day Weekend. I'm not so sure about wind speed yet...model guidence should tell us a little more tongiht when the runs come out. Winds could get as high as 70-85 mph. I know that this may be overdoing it, but the depression is going to go over the Gulf Stream. The upper-level conditions look ideal, too. We may just get a surprise out of this one. My first forecast will be around 10-midnight as I am headed out to a theme park (good to get that done now ).

Kevin

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Storm Location
      #2369 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:40 PM

Yes, that is now back up on the visible picture from the NRL page. However, I do not know if that is just a guesstimate or the actual center. I have not received an update from the NHC about TD#5...was this an error?

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Storm Location
      #2370 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:45 PM

And just to keep us on our toes....Dolly is now heading west at 20knts. No change in strength.

--------------------

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Hurricane Erin of '95 repeat?
      #2371 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:02 PM

What do you all think? I remember Erin forming around this area.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #2372 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:17 PM

Not TD#5, it was looking as if it might, but the later scans by the HH aircraft made it just under TD strength. We'll be watching it though. TD Tonight or Tomorrow.

It is Moving WNW around 10MPH

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #2373 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:27 PM

Well NHC decidied to hold off on TD#5 for now. But maybe made late tonight or tomorrow.

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #2374 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:32 PM

You know, that's very strange because the HH found SUSTAINED winds of 60mph and low pressure (this was all reported by TWC) but when they went back in again, the pressures were up. I guess they are waiting to see if it holds together before jumping the gun. I think that's a good idea.

However, I still think it will be classified later on tonight.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2375 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:39 PM

look in sotheast bahamas strong storms forming there. and off africa have large storm coming off, already has banding and good outflow.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
TWC reports were incorrect...and movement of 94L.
      #2376 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:50 PM

TWC was reporting winds of 60 (gusts) and 1008 mb pressure, BUT this was the last vortex data message from CHRISTOBAL! Ooops...typical TWC stupidity.

Also...the 5:30 PM TWO says 94L disturbance is moving northwest...but I've watched the satellite imagery from the past few hours. The loop showed a west-northwest movement, if any at all. A very slow moving due to weak steering currents. I still believe it will be depression...and I still believe Florida is the bull's eye.

Also, Dolly is flying west again, but this was not supposed to happen. If this height breakdown isn't as strong as models predicted, with Dolly being so weak, well...

Any thoughts on 94L's movement now and into the future?

Kevin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 11322

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center