F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
What about the next wave to emerge Africa? [Re: LI Phil]
      #16187 - Sat Jul 17 2004 12:34 AM

http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_40/anis.html

Looks huge there but as we know the sal is awaiting it however as the days go by the time for the CV season to show it's teeth is comming soon so let's see what happens with this new one.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rob_M
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cary, NC
Re: ATL wave...no show [Re: LI Phil]
      #16188 - Sat Jul 17 2004 12:47 AM

Hey Phil...
Right now the GFS or other global models don't show anything that raises an eyebrow with the later-to-be TW over continental Africa. Can't go completely by what the models show when we're dealing with something 5+ days out...but I assume they're picking up on a continued dry environment due to SAL and ridge-forcing subsidence. In that case, it'd be basically just as hard for this upcoming wave as the one in progress. Since it's still a ways out I'm not going to say yes or no as to whether it'll become something...but as it stands now, don't hold your breath.

Another thing I want to add...the negative MJO pulse currently over the ATL should be moving out in a week or so, making way for the positive MJO. When a positive MJO is over the region, conditions tend to be less conducive for TC development...as you probably already know. However, it does NOT completely prevent TC development. Even if a positive MJO is over the region, it doesn't mean there's no chance of Alex until the next negative MJO...just makes it a bit harder more or less depending on the other environmental factors. It certainly prevents multiple storm outbreaks, but we can see a lonely TC when the MJO isn't enough to stop favorable conditions in a certain area. So I wouldn't look at it as "no Alex now, no Alex until mid August when the next favorable MJO comes." Indeed if we don't see Alex within a week or so that may very well be the case...but if the dry air and SAL subside enough and couple with the already-favorable factors (W QBO, warm ATC, no El Nino, lower than normal shear, lower than normal SLPAs, slightly warmer than normal SSTAs)...then with the right TW that exits Africa, we could still get a TS, regardless of MJO.

In any case, what is likely is that when that negative MJO DOES enter the basin...all will break loose. Timing still suggests it'll reach the ATL in mid Aug...perfect time to coincide a big bang (if you will) in TC activity. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

As for the system in late May over the DR...I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time, as it happened when Jason and I were busy polishing our 2004 forecast. However, from the satellite images I did see, and ones I found archived...there definately was a low pressure (no doubt), but I don't think it was strong enough to be classified as a TD/TS. Yes, there could have been observations of TD/TS force winds in some locations...but 1)that's to be expected in squalls associated with any strong low, and 2)as I recall they were well away from the center. Plus, convection was being enhanced in part by upper level divergence/shear...so it wasn't a very barotropic system. This would explain my second point about the winds recorded. A very deadly, heavy rainmaker it was, but TC it was not...IMO.

--------------------
Rob Mann
IndependentWx.Com

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #16189 - Sat Jul 17 2004 12:55 AM

It seemed much the same way last year in the E.ATL. with the SAL.Nothing would develop till it hit pass about the 70W mark.Even this this year seems impossible for the time being.I would not get ot strung out though.I do believe that this season will take off soon enough.The heat and humidity here along the GC has been tough this year.Interesting thoughts springing up though in the forum.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: ATL wave...no show [Re: javlin]
      #16192 - Sat Jul 17 2004 01:58 AM

Luis, Jav & (especially) Rob,

Thanks for the insights. Not trolling on-line at the moment so not looking at sat pix or commentary.

Yea, Rob, I know that it's not inconceivable that something could fire up during our expected MJO reversal, just not expecting it, 'das all [tm HF].

I guess I should be happy if I get JBs rogue storm this weekend...since there's not really anything else out there. And yes, James88, in another forum, I'll give you a report, IF there's anything to report.

Rob, as far as your pointing out (in the storms' forum) the correlation (or lack thereof) between named storms and season totals, I'm also aware, and not at all concerned (still sticking with 14/8/3). Just wish there was SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to give us a tease.

All us weather nuts have been following the tropix since mid-May only to be diasppointed.

Of course, that will make the August fruit that much sweeter.

N-E-who. G'nite all. Still clinging to that vague, slim chance for july action.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rob_M
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cary, NC
      #16193 - Sat Jul 17 2004 02:31 AM

Yeah Phil, I know exactly what you mean...this wait really IS getting boring. Longest period during the season with no systems of at least TD strength since from Jun 1 to Jul 27 in 1998 (when TD1 finally formed and became Alex...ironic eh?). But I'm pretty confident that we'll be bogged to overload mode come the peak of the season.

--------------------
Rob Mann
IndependentWx.Com

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Saturday AM [Re: Rob_M]
      #16197 - Sat Jul 17 2004 03:45 PM

Nothing new going on. JB still keen on the rogue storm and says the southwest Atlantic, Eastern GOM and western carib will be ripe for development mid to late next week (though he was short on specifics -- only calling it his "idea" and that some of the models are starting to "sniff this out.")

Looks like the last african wave is getting ready to exit the coast tomorrow...probably meet the same fate as all its predecessors.

That's all folks,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Steve hirsch.
Unregistered

Re: Saturday AM [Re: LI Phil]
      #16198 - Sat Jul 17 2004 04:03 PM

Also note there is a LLC with the wave east of the Lesser Antilles. SOme shear from the south is occuring, keeping development at bay. Maybe this is the feature that comes into play. Either that or development of some of the spillage from the SE trough

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Saturday PM [Re: Steve hirsch.]
      #16199 - Sat Jul 17 2004 04:28 PM

Rain from it when it gets here by monday is the only effect from it but I am watching it as it is at very warm waters west of 50w however upper shear is fairly strong in the eastern caribbean sea so let's see what happens as it gets closer to the islands.

--------------------

Edited by Cycloneye (Sat Jul 17 2004 04:28 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Is "my" wave showing signs of life? [Re: Cycloneye]
      #16204 - Sat Jul 17 2004 09:12 PM

My "little engine that could" wave is now located around 38W and 15N, is getting better organized and is showing some signs of convection. It's certainly not going to develop where it is, but will be moving to a more favorable region as it chugs westward. Not saying it will develop, but not ready to write it off either.

Lots of indoor chores for me tomorrow, as the low moves off the NC coast and tracks up the northeast coast, dumping anywhere from 1-3". Now, if Bastardi's rogue storm forms, with 40+MPH gales, then I may have to head to the shore and watch the show. Already issuing Special Weather Statements up here...

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Is "my" wave showing signs of life? [Re: LI Phil]
      #16206 - Sat Jul 17 2004 09:40 PM

Your wave still has a heartbeat Phil. The TWD says "THE WAVE HAS BECOME MUCH
BETTER DEVELOPED SINCE YESTERDAY...AND VISIBLE IMAGERY FROM MET-8
INDICATES THE WAVE IS FARTHER W THAN EARLIER THOUGHT. THERE ARE
ACTUALLY TWO DISTINCT SWIRLS NEAR THE ITCZ...BUT THE MOST IMPRESSIVE
CIRCULATION AND TSTM COVERAGE IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE WRN SWIRL."

It seems that the Atlantic may not want to go quiet just yet.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Is "my" wave showing signs of life? [Re: LI Phil]
      #16207 - Sat Jul 17 2004 09:43 PM

wave around 40W does appear to be getting better organized, now a definate turn with it, but appears to be just a tad elongated SW to NE, and looks like the actual low center is a bit far to the south, at around 8N or 9N. wave to the west also appears now to have an LLC, but is being sheared; I think the eastern one has the best chance at development
bw, is anyone else besides me debating on weather or not to lower the predictions?

also, some kind of low with an upper high appears to be entering the gulf from Mississippi
doesnt show up well on radar, but mid-level circulation is better for development than none

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html

alos, how do you all hyperlink the words so I don't have to put these site addresses up??

LI Phil
User

Reged:
URL [Re: Rabbit]
      #16208 - Sat Jul 17 2004 09:48 PM

Bugs,

When you "copy" a web site address (URL), simply left click on the "URL" choice below your post under "Instant UBB Code". When the window pops up, you'll see "http://" in highlight. Right click in the box, then "paste" your copied link. Click OK. Then simply type whatever you want to "nickname" the link.

Das all dere is!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

JasonM603
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Is "my" wave showing signs of life? [Re: Rabbit]
      #16211 - Sun Jul 18 2004 12:18 AM

Quote:

bw, is anyone else besides me debating on weather or not to lower the predictions?

If you're talking about season predictions, lowering your numbers would in all likelyhood be a major mistake. I was having a debate with another poster on a different forum in 2000. We were having a big argument about lowering predictions right before all hell broke loose. The person I was talking to lowered his numbers and he busted terribly. June and July do NOT reflect what the peak will be like, and all of the parameters ARE in place...it's just a matter of time my friend.

--------------------
Independent Wx

Seasonal Forecast

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Is "my" wave showing signs of life? [Re: JasonM603]
      #16212 - Sun Jul 18 2004 12:31 AM

Rabbit and Jason read an articule that I posted at storm forum about this.

--------------------

Edited by Cycloneye (Sun Jul 18 2004 12:31 AM)

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: What did I miss here.. why do you think there will be nothing til August? [Re: LoisCane]
      #16213 - Sun Jul 18 2004 12:50 AM

Long shot, but interesting....from Miami NWS afternoon discussion...

THE EXTENDED PERIOD WOULD BE A PROBLEM FORECAST IF THE BOUNDARY AND ASSOCIATED CONVECTION GET LEFT BEHIND BY THE TROUGH AND SIT OVER VERY WARM GULF WATER FOR DAYS. SOMETIMES SUCH SCENARIOS CAN LEAD TO UNEXPECTED DEVELOPMENT.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: What did I miss here.. why do you think there will be nothing til August? [Re: h2ocean]
      #16214 - Sun Jul 18 2004 01:28 AM

Any Trough sitting in the GOM for an extended period of time, with water temp between 84 and 88 could be a problem but looks like most of the heavy thunder storms are moving into Florida, and forecast to have 15 to 25 Mph sw to w winds next 2 days.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
lowering.. [Re: Rabbit]
      #16216 - Sun Jul 18 2004 01:57 AM

Wouldn't lower any predictions until after about Aug. 11th or so.

Many very active seasons have nothing early on and many slow ones are busy in may and june.

Til then.. hang in there and wait it out ..
sweat it out?

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: lowering.. [Re: LoisCane]
      #16217 - Sun Jul 18 2004 02:45 AM

I agree LoisCane... don't lower yet and I would say don't until the end of August..... a lot can be packed in a few months! BTW did anyone catch Dr. Lyons (TWC) this am on his idea for a slim chance of formation in the GOM shortly?

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sun Jul 18 2004 02:52 AM)

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Question [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #16219 - Sun Jul 18 2004 02:35 PM

We have been watching the rotation of water vapor for days now. 30N/55W
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html
You can now see "popcorn" type clouds appearing in the center. Does this depict a ULL making it's way down to the center or surface?

GR FLA
Unregistered

Possible Developments??? [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #16220 - Sun Jul 18 2004 02:59 PM

I think development will happen within the next 10 days or so...
Possible areas 1. the Gulf, if the low pressure goes down and sits there, as expected and the wave approaching the northern windward islands seems to have a nice rotation, although is very small.

any comments???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 70533

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center