F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Closing time [Re: Clark]
      #24828 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:40 PM

Hey clark, I for one am glad to see you post that. Cause I was real confused for a while. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: SLOSH map for Mobile [Re: LI Phil]
      #24829 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:41 PM

Quote:

Mobile

Thanks I may need that

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

RMagic

Reged:
Re: WV Loops [Re: tenavilla]
      #24830 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If the course holds true and Venice through Tampa take a direct hit, it might be the $60 BILLION question. :-(

-Bev

You're exactly right. My husband is in construction here in Tampa and we were just talking about that. If the eye comes up the bay like they're forecasting now, we're in so much trouble. Frances caused a huge flooding problem and she was weak by the time she got here. Most of downtown is built to pre-Andrew codes, and all the electric is underground. During Charley they shut down the entire downtown power grid to avoid storm surge problems, although I'm not entirely sure that will completely alleviate the problem. I'm really frightened to think of what a hurricane this size can do to a major metropolitan area.

my parents live in evacuation level 3 in south tampa. During Frances water came within about 4 blocks of their house. If Ivan were to give a direct hit....i think everyone can just kiss the city of tampa goodbye.

The thing that really upsets me tho....is all the yuppies in south tampa that think the city has some kind of silver bullet. The night before we evacuated for Charley (i was down from UF b/w semesters at the time), the idiots were throwing PARTIES throughout the area. It's just ridiculous...

--------------------
Go Gators! (but ron zook makes me cry like a baby)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hawaii has some pretty water vapor images [Re: Ed in Va]
      #24831 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:43 PM

Ivan and TD 10 really aren't linked...there is an upper low to the NE of Ivan that is helping to evacuate its outflow. To the NE of that, there is another smaller upper low, followed by yet another a bit to the NE of that by the Azores. This link will have no effect on the track of Ivan; the only impacts will likely be felt by what the larger upper low and a weaker vortex just NE of the Bahamas do to the subtropical ridge steering the storm, not any link to other systems well to the NE.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
Re: Closing time [Re: Clark]
      #24833 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

It is run every 6 hrs.

As an aside, confidence in the panhandle forecast is eroding with time as the pattern evolves, but I'm still sticking to my guns there...as is the Superensemble, like it has for 3 days now.

Clark, my personal psychic ensemble shows it bouncing off Steinhatchee, and ricocheting towards Tallahassee - don't you all have a super-collider over there too? How about trying to boiung! it back out in the Gulf?
Susie

--------------------
hang on!

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Hawaii has some pretty water vapor images [Re: Clark]
      #24834 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:47 PM

good afternoon ya'll. I just got on the site for the first time today. And I'm sure that this question has been answered........ Are we looking at a Tampa hit or around a PCB hit? If he does make landfall in Tampa, any idea where he'll go from there? Is the east coast safe?

--------------------
Kelly

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hawaii has some pretty water vapor images [Re: Clark]
      #24835 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:48 PM

I lost track of former TD #10. Is that the swirl that is now at 30N 60W and racing westward?

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: WV Loops [Re: RMagic]
      #24836 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:48 PM

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a film strip in school showing the people who threw the hurricane party for Camille. Needless to say, what they experienced was far worse than any hangover they ever had.

Note on the new GFS: It is still farthest east, but the one thing it has been consistent on is parking it in the Carolinas. I'm not ready to buy that one yet either.

As far as Jamaica, Gilbert never weakened while crossing it, although it may have slowed down its rate of strengthening. I am not so sure it will have a big impact. As the last day has shown, the storm could weaken like that on its own. It does look like dry air got entrained, possibly a result of the land masses to its north. No new vortex messages out yet either.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: MikeC]
      #24837 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:49 PM

A little later this time. Was out saving the world...

Full size image available at: Skeetobite.com

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Tampa SLOSH map from Georges [Re: alley]
      #24838 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:50 PM

Not fun at all. I just moved into my house about a month ago over next to the bay. I've headed to Atlanta for the weekend and probably will wait to see if I'm heading back Sunday night. I'm just hoping my roommate/friend is able to head over to West Palm Saturday via the train, because I really wouldn't want her to be stuck in the house. Ugh. One month in the house. and all of this. No wonder I still consider Atlanta home

Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Florida SLOSH Maps [Re: Bev]
      #24839 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:51 PM

I'll put up as many as I can find...

Collier County

CFHC links...scroll down and look at county info

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

RMagic

Reged:
Re: WV Loops [Re: MrSpock]
      #24840 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:59 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a film strip in school showing the people who threw the hurricane party for Camille. Needless to say, what they experienced was far worse than any hangover they ever had.

yeah....my parents have told me stories about that storm. I just can't grasp the stupidity of some people..

Also - not that anyone cares but Gainesville got hit pretty hard by Frances. Lots of downed trees. At one point over 3/4ths of the county didn't have power. Sewage problems also occurred as many lift stations for sewage didn't have power. I can post pictures if anyone's interested....

MO stormspotter
Unregistered

Re: Florida SLOSH Maps [Re: LI Phil]
      #24841 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:00 PM

If Ivan passes the Tampa Bays Area offshore what does that mean for the storm surge for Tampa and the surrounding barrier islands?

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Florida SLOSH Maps [Re: MO stormspotter]
      #24842 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:04 PM

http://flhurricane.com/links.php

Follow the link LI Phil put up.... he is getting it as fast as he can.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: WV Loops [Re: RMagic]
      #24843 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:05 PM

Quote:

Also - not that anyone cares but Gainesville got hit pretty hard by Frances. Lots of downed trees. At one point over 3/4ths of the county didn't have power. Sewage problems also occurred as many lift stations for sewage didn't have power. I can post pictures if anyone's interested....

My sister goes to UF(Go Gators!...lol) and she said it was pretty bad in some areas. She ended up losing power while I never did.

Anyway, 2pm update just out and Ivan has moved much further west than north. .3 degrees north and .7 degrees west. Winds are still 145mph, pressure is 939mb and winds extend out 60mi(hurr.)/175mi(t.s.)

--------------------
Check the Surf

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
      #24844 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:05 PM

Quote:

I'll put up as many as I can find...
Collier County

Thanks Phil! I'm still searching for Manatee SLOSH and wrote to the EOC here but they are probably far too busy to respond. I'll post it if I find one.

Thanks!
-Bev

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
FSU ensemble vs The Models? [Re: Bev]
      #24845 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:07 PM

Isn't the NHC track really a case of walking between the two right now? And, in their own discussion earlier they indicated there was a great uncertainty down the road. Something about it could possibly at some point even go NNE?

Interested to see next set of runs.

And again.. see which model tracks are the most consistent over the long term.

Isn't it possible that as opposed to think the GFS set are garbage in and out that they see something and hang with it vs something the other models discount?

watching a Cane fan in Miami

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Florida SLOSH Maps [Re: MO stormspotter]
      #24846 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:08 PM

>>The night before we evacuated for Charley (i was down from UF b/w semesters at the time), the idiots were throwing PARTIES throughout the area. It's just ridiculous...

We've been known to party in New Orleans from time to time when hit by a hurricane. Then again, we've been known to party because it's Wednesday at 3:00

The story about the hurricane party on the MS was somewhat debunked in recent times. Snopes doesn't have anything on it, but I distinctly recall coming across some new information on that whole thing a few years back.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Mozart
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Simpsonville, SC
      #24847 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:08 PM

Here's one for your reference, Phil. It covers the entire state of South Carolina.

South Carolina SLOSH model

Click in the middle where it says "Flood Zones: Do you live in one?" This will give the SLOSH map for the entire state.

(Unfortunately you have to go this way. You can't just link directly to the map for some reason.)

Edited by Mozart (Fri Sep 10 2004 06:09 PM)

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: Florida SLOSH Maps [Re: Bev]
      #24848 - Fri Sep 10 2004 06:15 PM

This isn't the most detailed map I've ever seen, but try this link:

Florida Disaster Public Maps

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49144

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center