F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Closing time [Re: AgentB]
      #24807 - Fri Sep 10 2004 04:57 PM

12Z NOGAPS is much closer to the West Coast of Florida than previous 00Z Model.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
      #24808 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:02 PM

Latest NOGAPS (12z) trends east of the previous run, though still west (panhandle/big bend) of most models.

Just curious, how often does FSU run the Super Ensemble?

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Closing time [Re: Kal]
      #24810 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:11 PM

Looking elongated in this pic:

http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

What does that mean? Someone posted last week about F. that it means that the storm will be shifting in that direction.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

alley

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: TAMPA [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24811 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:11 PM

Please give my thanks to Thomas. Do you or Thomas or anyone else know what the storm surge would be for Tampa Bay if Ivan touches the coast while heading north and what the surge would be if we take a direct hit? I've had no luck using Google finding answers to these questions. Local mets do mention storm surge but only that it will occur...of course, I may have missed that info if it was given because I'm channel hopping while surfing the 'Net.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #24812 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:12 PM

Hmm...I think I see what's happening here. The former TD 10 is moving almost due west. This movement has caused the high pressure ridge to the east of Florida to build further west/southwest. I know that this system had been forecast to move more SSE, and probably wasn't going to affect the high pressure ridge too much, but currently it seems to be responsible for pushing the ridge further and further over Florida.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Fri Sep 10 2004 05:53 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Tampa SLOSH map from Georges [Re: alley]
      #24813 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:15 PM

This should give you an idea of surge flooding from a CAT III...not good.

Also shows Pensacola & PCB regions

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Fletch5150
Unregistered

#24814 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:20 PM

The ridge was forecast to build across FL today and tonight. The upper level low between 50 and 60 is going to ride the southern periphery of the high and begin to erode the ridge in 24-48 hours. This is what should start the NW - NNW - N motion. The timing of the upper low arrival is critical. The lates Vapor loop shows some western progress of the low.

alley

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Tampa SLOSH map from Georges [Re: LI Phil]
      #24815 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:22 PM

Thanks LI Phil. Guess I can kiss my house goodbye before we leave...not bending over to kiss the other.

Sam33
Unregistered

Re: Rapid Scan Operation [Re: Fletch5150]
      #24816 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:24 PM

WOW......they now have goes east in super rapid scan....looks like every min or two...... amazing sat pics....looks like the will pass over the southern side of jamica....don't think it will miss the island

Norm in Canada
Unregistered

Re: ERC [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #24817 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:25 PM

An observation from a fire weather forecaster in the frozen North. There has been some discussion about Cuba's topography and its ability to affect intensity....In western Cuba the highest peaks are 300m (the projected path of Ivan). In central Cuba the highest peak is 1100m. In eastern Cuba the highest peak is 1800m. Bottom line is that there is little to no potential for topography to influence the intensity of this storm. Jamaica is the same story. Intensity will be a function of eyewall replacement, shear and SSTs.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: ERC [Re: Fletch5150]
      #24818 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

This is first post on site. Have been on site for 2 weeks now and just want to thank all for info and to keep up the good work. My questions is if Ivan goes over eastern Jamaica wont the mts there rip storm apart. If im right mts are as much as 7500 feet high there. It just seems like that terrain would do quite a bit of damage to storm. Again thanks to all who help site as good as it is.

Given the small size of Jamaica compared to the robust size of Ivan, it won't do much to weaken him. The center of Ivan would not be over Jamaica for a long period of time. Cuba has a better chance of disrupting things if Ivan moves more towards central Cuba. If he passes through the Isle of Youth like Charley, Cuba won't weaken him that much either.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
SLOSH map for Mobile [Re: StormHound]
      #24819 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:29 PM

Mobile

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Hawaii has some pretty water vapor images [Re: LI Phil]
      #24820 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:32 PM

You can almost see where this thing is headed by looking at this... http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/satellite/sti...amp;overlay=off

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: SLOSH map for Mobile [Re: LI Phil]
      #24821 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:34 PM

Quote:

Mobile

How are you getting these SLOSH maps? Can someone point me in that direction or provide me with a SLOSH of Manatee County hit? My area is just south of the Tampa info already provided. My home is located directly on Palma Sola Bay.

Thanks!
Bev

Google...I'll try to find one for your area

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 10 2004 05:35 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Closing time [Re: HCW]
      #24822 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:37 PM

Sorry, but you're getting some wrong information again. The Superensemble has never called for a landfall west of Pensacola; in fact, the 12Z run today is the first one that even brings it to landfall...and I'll tell you this much: it's 200+ miles from Pensacola, and not west.

The FSU Superensemble has consistantly been on the left hand side of the track guidance. The NHC official is almost directly over the GFDL, the ensemble mean, and the GUNA (GFDL, UKMET, NOGAPS, AVN) consensus. Both have track errors from Frances of just 150mi. at 5 days, a very low error and both by far the best. FSU Superensemble says Panhandle, NHC says Tampa...we'll see what happens.

But I can assure you and everyone out there that it does not say west of Pensacola, and never has.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Closing time [Re: Fletch5150]
      #24823 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:38 PM

Quote:

The ridge was forecast to build across FL today and tonight. The upper level low between 50 and 60 is going to ride the southern periphery of the high and begin to erode the ridge in 24-48 hours.

The low you are referring to is what I was referring to as the remnants of TD 10. From what I had seen/read it was supposed to track more SSE, and not due west like it is currently doing. From what I see this due west movement has served to build the ridge further south than what I had seen forecasted. Truthfully I am surprised to see the ridge build almost to Cuba as it has this afternoon. Obviously a lot can change in just a matter of hours, and the ridge can retreat just as quick as it strengthened. However, it bears close watching as it will have a firsthand impact on where Ivan tracks.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Fri Sep 10 2004 05:54 PM)

MO Stormspotter
Unregistered

Re: SLOSH map for Mobile [Re: Bev]
      #24824 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mobile

How are you getting these SLOSH maps? Can someone point me in that direction or provide me with a SLOSH of Manatee County hit? My area is just south of the Tampa info already provided. My home is located directly on Palma Sola Bay.

Thanks!
Bev

Google...I'll try to find one for your area

I used to live on Anna Marie Island. I fear that a at 3 would devastate that island

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hawaii has some pretty water vapor images [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #24825 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:38 PM

Good link. Ivan and TD 10 are connected by a flow. Is there a name for this....what impact on track? Sorry, guys, I have a lot more questions than answers.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #24826 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:38 PM

It is run every 6 hrs.

As an aside, confidence in the panhandle forecast is eroding with time as the pattern evolves, but I'm still sticking to my guns there...as is the Superensemble, like it has for 3 days now.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Fletch5150
Unregistered

#24827 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:39 PM

If my memory is correct, I think they run it every 24 hours. The data collection and input takes between 10-16 hours. By the way the history of the ensemble has a 225+ mile error at 5 days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center