F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: Pensacola? [Re: Keith234]
      #28563 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:03 AM

Yeah I know but i did read somewhere, I think, that they are coming into agreement earlier than they did on the other storms I know 5 days out is still a toss up and I fully expect them to change...where I don't know though..my wishcast is out to sea... no hit anywhere...and some half decent surf.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: The Honorable Mr. Kelley... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28564 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:05 AM

Also, I'm sure he worked some long, hard hours last night.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: The Honorable Mr. Kelley... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28565 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:06 AM

I'm sure Jason has been doing nothing but work. Unless of course his wife went into labor.

--------------------
Jim

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Here's irresponsible........ [Re: Rasvar]
      #28566 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:14 AM

Just caught Accuweather on Fox, on Greta's show. First, he may be right, but 5 days out, he EMPHATICALLY stated that it WILL hit the U.S. Later, he said it will be at least 96-110 mph.
Excuse me, but 5 days out, no one knows for sure. I don't remember his name, but after that report I think I should refer to them as Hypeuweather.
Again, it may be right, but to have an arrow pointing to Fla, saying it WILL hit at at least 96-110 is irresponsible. If he is right, that doesn't make them great forecasters. They took a shot, and got lucky.
To make it worse, this report started by Greta stating something like "Major hurricane Jeanne".
My advice to everyone.....turn of the tv's, check out the NHC, TWC, or your local NWS. I hope the ratings they got were worth it.

Now I am done venting, but ................forget it.
And, when was the last time you saw a Vulcan this upset?
i know how you feel (or don't feel?l, but jeanne does have event written all over it. i'm going to wait until tomorrow night or saturday (once it clears hispaniola/ivan track becomes more definite) before nailing my theses on the church door.. but i'm thinking the same thing. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Sep 17 2004 02:37 AM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Pensacola? [Re: richisurfs]
      #28567 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:14 AM

Just saw the models, NOGAPS, eta, GFS etc. anyway the overall pattern was interestinng to note that the remmants of Ivan will actually stall out and move eastward aganist the prevailing atmospheric flow. If the models are right then that SC area will be getting crazy amounts of rain. Anyway next week there will be a very strong trough into the west coming; digging down from the gulf of Alaska and a very strong canadian high, the amplitude of this trough and ridge are huge, Ivan is pratically backing away from this high, that's how strong it is. Everything in the Bahamas part of the tropics will slow down to a near halt. Keep a tab on the models everyone that can.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Here's irresponsible........ [Re: MrSpock]
      #28568 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:18 AM

CSO Spock,

I think it's fair to say that the enitre state of Florida is on edge, forgetting the GOMers...Us guys up north ain't seen nothin'... Feel free to vent, and I agree with you BTW, but we've only just reached the peak of the season...

the season from hell...

That's it...I'm OFFICIALLY naming 2004 the SEASON FROM HELL..I'd start a poll, but I'm just too tired...

Kirk out

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #28569 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:18 AM

I stopped watching TV news several years ago because of the hype. If we are under a Hurricane Warning I will turn on Bryan Norcross, and he doesn't hype. Otherwise the only thing on my TV is SciFi channel, Food channel, occassionaly one of the Discovery channels, and some movies.

Bill

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28570 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:18 AM

I'm glad you said that Mr. Spock because in my veiw your opinions have a great deal of credibility. Everyone on here should pay attention to what he just said. By the way, I just saw that same thing on Greta...she needs to just keep talking about the Scott Peterson case.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Here's irresponsible........ [Re: richisurfs]
      #28571 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:20 AM

Thank you, I do appreciate the support. I think I also just came home from a meeting a little wound up......did it show?

No...not at all..no one here is on edge or anything...

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 17 2004 02:22 AM)

BillD
User

Reged:
NASA GOES site [Re: richisurfs]
      #28572 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:22 AM

Anybody know what is up with the NASA site? The sat pix are all messed up, just a few thin stripes of the picture for the last few hours. Sat pix are fine on the TPC site.

Bill

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28573 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:25 AM

Well, as everyone knows who have read my posts on here, you have a kindred spirit with me on this kind of stuff. It totally gets me so upset. I will never think it is anything less than completely irresponsible...especially on national tv!

DebbiePSL
Unregistered

#28574 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:27 AM

I just wanted to say, personally I have only 2 sources I feel are reliable for my hurricane info, this board, and Dr Steve Lyons. That being said,the info I have read here has really helped me deal with Hurricane Frances.I'm a newbie to these monsters so didn't know anything about them. I just moved here a year ago, so thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and info

LI Phil
User

Reged:
CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #28575 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:30 AM

>>> I just wanted to say, personally I have only 2 sources I feel are reliable for my hurricane info, this board, and Dr Steve Lyons.

(Cringing)...Y'all who know me know how I feel about the "great" Dr. Lyons.

I think you should stick with NHC...then CFHC...then Dr. Lyons...in that order

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28576 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:33 AM

I really haven't seen his expertise because he just tells you where it's going not what's causing it to get there, the only important thing to me besides the landfall point.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
1030 or so Atlanta Update [Re: BillD]
      #28577 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:35 AM

Well sports fans......

Georgia Power reports 300,000 out of power, 230,000 in metro Atlanta...

MAJOR flooding is occuring in Alpharetta and North Atlanta along the banks of the Peachtree Creek. Record flooding is occuring with the creek at 21.4 feet with the previous record being 21.06 feet being in March of 1990...

Pretty much every county in North and Central Georgia is under a Flood or Flash flood warning...

Road flooding is very prevalant around the airport as well as in other areas around the city.....

Tress have fallen throughout the area, just a few blocks from my house in Midtown, 3 trees fell and hit three cars on Piedmont Ave, entrapping one person....

Reports of tornadoes in Northeast Georgia along I-85, with the tornado taking out a GDOT Welcome Center/Rest area

Pretty much every school system is out tomorrow in Metro Atlanta....

Whew...anyone got a 7&7?
yepper, getting to see how good a job the civil engineers who designed all that urban sprawl around atlanta did in planning for events such as this. take it to the next step.. consider the hill country where orographic forcing is cranking the rain totals up even higher. asheville, knoxville.. it only gets better! ground control to major tom.. something has gone wrong. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Sep 17 2004 02:42 AM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The Weather Channel [Re: Keith234]
      #28578 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:38 AM

Did anyone see The Weather Channel 2 month IR loop of all the storms from Alex to the present? It was a loop from the end of July until today. Pretty cool. I wonder how long that would take to load on dialup? LOL

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28579 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:40 AM

I hope they re-show it, because they are awesome loops. It really puts into perspective the big picture.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #28580 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:41 AM

THanks LI Phil, I'will say CFHC is my first source and I difinitely do listen very carefully to what the NHC says. If I am anywhere in the cone,my shutters are up

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28581 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:42 AM

RE: TWC storm loop

Yeah, didn't want to mention it bc didn't want to give the props, but it was indeed very cool...they actually did TWO..one showing everything on a looping satellite, and a second one breaking each storm down...and the best part was, no Steve Lyons!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

BillD
User

Reged:
      #28582 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:42 AM

Lyons is not John Hope, but he holds his own. It is not his fault that TWC has deteriorated to the state it is in now.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58384

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center