F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: alberto/fla [Re: HanKFranK]
      #37782 - Sat Jul 02 2005 10:27 PM

It is almost worth a trip to Ireland haa haa. But seriously, I think I am seeing two areas spinning unless it is optical illusion. I was wondering if we would wake up in the morning and find that the vortex relocated itself during the night. Just thinking. (wet firecracker in with a load of dynamite)

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: alberto/fla [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #37783 - Sat Jul 02 2005 10:51 PM

I have to agree with HF on strength with this one, it's heading into increasingly warmer SST's with decreasing shear 200 to 850 hPa shear. The only limiting factor to the strength would be as Clark said the chance of it hitting land. Climatology has it going through the Yutacan Channel. Though the recurving track is not readily supported by the latest model runs, but I'll go with because I like the idea of the storm riding the periphery of the subtropical ridge.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Big tk
Unregistered

Re: alberto/fla [Re: Keith234]
      #37785 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:00 AM

That's not a EYE is it? Zoom in [image]http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-vis-loop.html[/image]

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Big tk]
      #37786 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:14 AM

No, of course not What you're probably seeing is some low toped level cumulus clouds associated with the building of the Upper level feature to the surface.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Caribbean [Re: Keith234]
      #37789 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:39 AM

The WV Loop is really good right now.
High level clouds in and around the W Caribbean system. Diurnal convection in E and S quadrants.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

The wave that Hank mentioned earlier just east of the Lesser Antilles is showing some flareup. Both in size and intensity.
Located near 13 N and 50 W.
Is this the "playa" wave that Steve refered to earlier this week? GFS was progging it to pass NE of the Lesser Antilles.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Caribbean [Re: danielw]
      #37790 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:46 AM

Playa as in refrence to a beach (in spanish), or in refrence to "player?" I remember seeing something a couple days back, but now the GFS/AVN ain't to enthusiastic for developingt that feature.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Caribbean [Re: Keith234]
      #37791 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:57 AM

Quote:

Playa as in refrence to a beach (in spanish), or in refrence to "player?" I remember seeing something a couple days back, but now the GFS/AVN ain't to enthusiastic for developingt that feature.

Well, Steve had spelled it as 'playa'. Reading, storm that was playing around. At least I'm fairly sure that's what Steve meant. Especially since it's on again and off again on the models.

BTW: Heads up to folks downstream of the MCS moving through New Orleans right now. Lots of wind damage reports (trees down), from parishes in LA, and a few counties in MS.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Caribbean [Re: danielw]
      #37793 - Sun Jul 03 2005 01:07 AM

Uh...thanks. Slightly off topic, there seems to be a mesocyclone right now over New Orleans as Danny indicated. Looks pretty bad..

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Caribbean [Re: Keith234]
      #37794 - Sun Jul 03 2005 01:53 AM

QUANTITATIVE PRECIPITATION FORECAST DISCUSSION NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD 625 PM EDT SAT JUL 02 2005 (edited~danielw)

DAY 3...
..GULF COAST LA/MS APPROACHING TROPICAL SYSTEM FROM GULF OF MEXICO SHOULD SPREAD DEEP LAYER MOISTURE INTO THE AREA.12Z NAM BRINGS HVY AMNTS INTO LA BY END OF PERIOD WHILE 12Z GFS TARGETS COASTAL MISSISSIPPI. MANUAL QPF SLOWED SYSTEM SPEED SOMEWHAT AND KEPT MAXIMUM INITIALLY ACROSS SE LA.

http://kamala.cod.edu/HPC/latest.fxus04.KWBC.html
MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD 143 PM EDT SAT JUL 02 2005 (edited~danielw)
VALID JUL 02/1200 UTC THRU JUL 06/0000 UTC

..TROPICAL WAVE INTO THE GOMEX
THE 12Z NAM IS SIMILAR IN STRENGTH WITH THE 00Z RUN BUT CONTINUES TO MOVE THE WAVE MORE SLOWLY AS IT CROSSES THE YUCATAN AND INTO THE WESTERN GULF OF MEXICO. THE 12Z GFS IS ALSO MAINTAINING CONTINUITY WITH ITS PREVIOUS RUNS IN BRINGING A WEAK WAVE INTO THE GOMEX AROUND THE PERIMETER OF A SUBTROPICAL HIGH.
MODEL DIFFERENCES AND PREFERENCES...
..TROPICAL WAVE INTO THE GOMEX
THE NAM REMAINS MUCH STRONGER WITH THE TROPICAL WAVE MOVING ACROSS THE YUCATAN INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO...WHILE THE GFS HAS MUCH WEAKER WAVE THAT ROTATES QUICKLY AROUND THE WESTERN SIDE OF A SUBTROPICAL HIGH. THE 12Z UKMET AND CANADIAN BOTH LOOK MORE LIKE THE NAM THAN THE GFS...BUT NEITHER VORT MAX IS AS STRONG AS THE NAM. THE CANADIAN IS CLOSE TO THE NAM WHILE THE UKMET TAKES THE SAME DIRECTION BUT SHIFTED ABOUT 180 MILES EAST. AT THIS POINT...WE ARE RECOMMENDING A PATH SIMILAR TO THE NAM BUT NOT AS STRONG.
http://kamala.cod.edu/HPC/latest.fxus10.KWNH.html

All of these products are from previous model runs and are subject to change. Please consult your local NWS office for official forecast and advisories~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 03 2005 02:08 AM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Big tk]
      #37799 - Sun Jul 03 2005 04:14 AM

So is it an eye wall developing? http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: recon [Re: Big tk]
      #37800 - Sun Jul 03 2005 04:26 AM

Whoops -- didn't mean Alberto 2000 -- meant Alberto 1994. Sorry 'bout that.

actually.. july 3rd was the day alberto came in, 11yrs ago. it was sort of cool, as i'd just moved to alabama.. to experience the weak rainy storm... except it came back on the 5th and didn't go away for days. the lake we'd been in a cabin by the last week of june had a dam break and went bye bye... in all 32 people died in the flooding. that was a mean little storm. HF 0611z03july

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Jul 03 2005 05:19 AM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #37801 - Sun Jul 03 2005 04:29 AM

No -- what you are seeing is an array of convection around an upper-level low off of the coast of Cuba, the one noted in my discussion from earlier today. It has an ominous look to it, but it's nothing at all -- really.

The real action is due south of there by about 500 miles, east-northeast of Belize. It is starting to become even better organized -- funny how the TWOs from the NHC keep emphasizing that with more and more superlatives, I guess -- and I think we may have another tropical cyclone on our hands before Sunday ends. Bets? Better than even odds at this point, I'm afraid, assuming it stays offshore long enough to get going. The better developed the system at landfall, the better of a shot it has at doing something in the Gulf. No models are really picking up on a tropical cyclone in the Gulf per se, but they don't always excel at this task.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Clark]
      #37802 - Sun Jul 03 2005 04:30 AM

Posted earlier, ok, too much going on today to keep up, sorry. Buoy data from Station 42056 - Yucatan Basin, Wind and Waves basically doubled throughout the day.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #37803 - Sun Jul 03 2005 04:39 AM

No problem -- I understand entirely!

My biggest goal, particularly after last season, is to keep there from being alarm amongst the masses. There are so many people who were affected by TSFH (TM LI Phil) last year that anything out there is going to cause a reaction -- particularly when the media in central Florida picks up on it. All too often, a convective mass out in the ocean is not going to form into something. They should all be watched, sure, but sometimes everyone (myself included) can get a little too carried away doing so -- not to mentioned worn out in a hurry!

It's in picking out those that have a better chance of developing and focusing on those, then watching them as they develop -- or don't develop -- through time. Not everyone gets it right all the time, as we all can attest to, but the key is in watching the regions and waves that have a chance to develop...and not getting excited about everything else. I'd love to "wavemonger" with the best of them -- but you just can't do it when so much is on the line.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Clark]
      #37807 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:22 PM

Clark your goal to keeping the masses from being alarmed with unwarranted words is admirable. As one of the premier posters on this site your words do carry more weight than those of others.
Most everyone has the urge to speculate and monger and of course the earlier in development you call it the better when it works out. This too is enjoyable, especially when the ideas presented are backed up with reasons why the poster thinks a scenario will occur. Post that include ideas to back them up can be educational to those observing what might happen and what actually does happen.

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: alberto/fla [Re: Hurric]
      #37808 - Sun Jul 03 2005 12:37 PM

Western Carib looking more more concentrated on IR this morning. I can't wait to see the visibles. The TWO sounding even more like they feel this one is going to develop.
The ULL exiting off west tip of cuba is moving NW. I would think carib disturbance will follow it. The High ridging to the NE should help keep it away from Florida. Let someone else have the rains for a change.
Hurric

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
TD? and the Yucatan [Re: Hurric]
      #37810 - Sun Jul 03 2005 02:30 PM

Just had a quick look at the visibles, and it seems as if this disturbance is certainly getting its act together. Think we will see it classified today when the recon gets there, probably as a TD, but possibly as a TS. Looks as if the centre could track across the tip of the Yucatan or through the Yucatan channel. This would mean less time overland / interaction with land, and allow more time for development - especially in the favourable conditions expected.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Maybe maybe not
Unregistered

Re: TD? and the Yucatan [Re: Rich B]
      #37811 - Sun Jul 03 2005 02:46 PM

Wrong, wrong, not today.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: TD? and the Yucatan [Re: Rich B]
      #37812 - Sun Jul 03 2005 02:52 PM

Convection is increasing in all quads. , as the storm becomes a more symetrical warm core system. At this current track it would end up traversing the Yucatan Peninsula, and putting in the BOC-unless recurvature occurs. The fact is though the subtropical ridge has not really built over Florida, and the disturbance is too far away for any interaction with the shortwaves over the southeastern united states. Shear and dry air will be invading the BOC in the next 36 hours, so that could throw a b monkey wrench in the idea of a 'strong storm.' I don't believe the NHC has ran any new model runs as of 10'o clock...at least they have not been forwarded to my program.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: TD? and the Yucatan [Re: Maybe maybe not]
      #37813 - Sun Jul 03 2005 03:15 PM

Would you care to enlighten us as to why this system will not be upgraded to TD status today? I'm always willing to share ideas and learn something new.

ED

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19266

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center