F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Models [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #49582 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:23 PM

Quote:

I am also wondering why the NHC has not discontinued the hurricane warning north of St.Lucie inlet,

I'd guess becuase of what Charley did last year with sudden last minute jogs. Just becuase it doesn't look like it might hit there doesn't mean it won't. With the strongest quadant generally the NE/NW one (depending on direction of movement), the warning extending further north isn't surprising.

--RC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Models [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49583 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:26 PM

When I posted the SW note, the center of circulation stopped above the last A in Lauderdale. Now it's down on top of the "r and d". I realize that Florida and the United States jut out in a weirder angle than are depicted on flat maps, but based on the maps, it's moved a bit south. I realize that the last 3 positions (11am, 12 estimate and 1pm) show it at 26.2. But it's hedging downward a little IMHO (may be the angle of Florida as depicted on the maps as noted).

>> Less population & monetary damage, but the overall impact to the coastline will be far greater, based off of experience.

I realize the shallow issues they have from the bay eastward. And it's not like I didn't acknowledge it, but we usually measure hurricanes by monetary damage, loss of life, strength and windspeed. Hey, in New Orleans, a tropical storm off the Texas Coast (such as Frances 1998) feeding training rainbands on top of the city is worse than any direct hit of a Cat 1 or 2 on this city. So it's all relative to locale-specific and storm-specific problems. In this case, tidal damage and surge could flood much of the low lying areas of the Big Bend similar to what happened at St. Mark's during Dennis. But a high-end 1 isn't really comparable with a 3 or 4 IMO.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Models [Re: Steve]
      #49584 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:34 PM

26.5 N 80.1 W
Hurricane Warning, Flood Watch

This was a previous post.

So there is a southerly movement with this last update at 1PM.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Katrina [Re: Steve]
      #49585 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:34 PM

Looking at its current motion and sat appearence, I think we might dodge a bullet here. It might get up to cat 1, but I think it will make landfall before anymore strengthing can occur. Looking at all the sats, the coulds have warmed up a bit, but the overal look of the storm is very good. That large band to the south is impressive and cold cloud tops are starting to band around the center. The worst possible scenario is that it stalls, but it doesnt appear to be right now. But if it does stall, Katrina might be a heck of a storm by landfall.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Models [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49588 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:41 PM

yeah sorry rob but they are continuing to shift westward. The Models are shifting towards the NOGAPS cause they now see it wont sit east of Florida till tomorrow, it will come on shore near Hollywood later tonight. I do think the NOGAPS and the CMC is allittle too fast ( NOGAPS) and too much west ( CMC) but I am in agreement with the GFS and UKMet. I also havnt seen the GFDL track or initiation. Thing is,,if this doesnt come onshore before midnight, doesnt exit SW florida by tomorrow evening,, then it will move along 83-84w with a bend to the NNE or NE just N of clearwater on Sunday evening. I expect the most strengthning of the system into a Cat 3 Saturday night into Sunday morning. I expect landfall around midnight tonight and exiting the coast around 3-5pm Friday. Saturday it will begin a bend to the NNW and then N later Saturday night into Sunday.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: ROB H]
      #49589 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:43 PM

Quote:

ukmet, GFS, CMC, all MM5 all have seem to be in agreement now on Katrina turning
north in the gulf and running parallel to the west coast and exiting in the lower big
bend area. NOGAPS is similar to NHC at landflall but track is to the right. GFDL has not
been updated. I think 5:00 advisory will have track adjusted to the right.

The new GFS takes it out more in the gulf by 100 miles more then its last run so you can take that out of those and as said the MM5 has done really bad.

I wonder what the GFDL will do now that the south part has not come about shall see soon i guess.

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Models [Re: scottsvb]
      #49591 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:46 PM

Hey Scott, look at the loop:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

check off the MLSP
Won't the storm follow the lower numbers?
If so, the UKMET would seem appropriate.

Yes / NO ??

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Models [Re: Beach]
      #49592 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:50 PM

If you look at that floater, Katrina has moved south of predicted track.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #49593 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:50 PM

I havnt seen the Ukmets 12Z run actually,, its not updating for where I see it so if anyone has a link, that would be great to the 12Z run.
Anyways, I dont see where your saying ralph? I had almost no sleep last night,,hehe. The path for the 2nd lanfall will be determined on how fast it goes from now till saturday and how fast the trough comes down.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #49594 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:54 PM

i was talking about the guy who said the GFS was up the coast which it was in the early run but the latest run of the GFS takes it out into the gulf 100 miles more then the GFS last run.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512_model.html

Has the latest GFS which which is different then the one posted on there a few hrs ago.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: Models [Re: The Force 2005]
      #49595 - Thu Aug 25 2005 05:55 PM

From what I see, The Force, she is almost excactly on track moving pretty much due west, albeit a bit slower then she was. Even the speed factor was predicted by NHC, so, as of now, they seem to be right on the ball.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: Myles]
      #49596 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:01 PM

Well looks to me there is a dramatic shift to the west,,,UKMet now has gone 400 miles to the west with landfall and the GFDL has gone more west. Even the crappy GFS shifted west by 100miles or so.
Again if she moves slow and doesnt exit sw florida by late afternoon tomorrow then she missed her oppertunity to hit anything east of 85W.....if she continues on with a speed of 8mph or more then she will continue towards maybe even Pensocola area.....( the usual hurricane magnet area).

Edit: I think Scott meant to say "west of 85W" given slow motion, not east. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Thu Aug 25 2005 06:36 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Models [Re: Myles]
      #49597 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:02 PM

As for the GFDL, the GFDL wasn't predicting the southward jog until this afternoon. It was predicted very close to the coastline, so we still have to watch for it.

I just checked the storm-centered IR floater at CMISS and the floater is moving due-west.

The radar from NWS in Miami is showing an almost complete stall with the only apparent motion to the south southwest! (Just a half hour ago it was showing a west southwest track) Take a look for yourself and tell me if you're seeing the same thing I am about the movement of the center of rotation. I'd like someone to confirm what I'm seeing.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kamx.shtml

Edited by Random Chaos (Thu Aug 25 2005 06:03 PM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
NWS Miami [Re: Myles]
      #49598 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:02 PM

AT 150 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THAT THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM Katrina WAS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 36 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF FORT LAUDERDALE...OR DIRECTLY EAST OF LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA.

KATRINA HAS STRENGTHENED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS...AND NOW HAS SUSTAINED WINDS OF 65 MPH. SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE NOW APPROACHING THE BROWARD COAST...AND WILL APPROACH THE PALM BEACH AND MIAMI-DADE COUNTY COASTS WITHIN THE NEXT TWO HOURS.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
New models not so nice for the Mobile area [Re: Myles]
      #49599 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:03 PM

Several new models are now pointing more towards Mobile/Pola....again.......GFDL and UKMET are two of them. THis could be a very powerful storm if it follows that path.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Models [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49600 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:05 PM

Bryan Norcross just mentioned that on TV. He is getting his info. from NHC. 2pm.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: A little confused [Re: Rasvar]
      #49601 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:07 PM

a true eye is anything with an eyewall--Bonnie, at 50mph in the Gulf last year, never showed an eye on satellite appearance, but recon plane and NHC stated that there was indeed an eye present

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #49602 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:07 PM

Looking at that loop --- is the center of circulation just to the left of the symbol? If so, then it IS moving SW.

Also...just heard from Janice Dean on Fox News Channel that they *may* extend the hurricane warning further south into the Keys. Also...it shows it making landfall tonight around 8pm but not exiting the coast until sometime Saturday. Which I guess would be bad news for everyone, including the SW and Central Gulf coast of Florida.
A new track is supposed to come out at 3pm --- according to Janice Dean. Hm.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Stationary at 2pm [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49603 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:09 PM

WTNT52 KNHC 251748
TCEAT2
TROPICAL STORM Katrina TROPICAL CYCLONE POSITION ESTIMATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
2 PM EDT THU AUG 25 2005

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z... THE CENTER OF SLOW-MOVING TROPICAL
STORM Katrina WAS ESTIMATED BY THE NOAA DOPPLER RADAR IN MIAMI
TO BE NEAR LATITUDE 26.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 79.5 WEST... OR ABOUT
40 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF FORT LAUDERDALE FLORIDA AND ABOUT 40
MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF BOCA RATON FLORIDA.

FORECASTER STEWART

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #49604 - Thu Aug 25 2005 06:10 PM

Im kinda frustrated watching TWC programming.. too much is based on News and not enough information on what the systems doing and where and why its going there. News briefs are fine but detail to the people is better. I would like to see them not just say,,," we expect landfall here and a turn to the N cause of a front up here". Well why? give people details, maybe show diff model runs. Understandably they dont have the time to go over eveything but its better then hearing about people boarding up or what the stores are doing. Thats for Fox and CNN.
Anyways NHC has detailed well in their discussions but have been off on the speed. I, myself been off too. They originally had this 2 days ago about Nassau right now,,been saying for days, " A decrease in forward speed" but its been moving between 7-10mph for 48hours. Track has been accurate to the model blends but the public can see that. Anyways Ill leave my rant at that...........

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center