F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: Upper Winds [Re: Frank P]
      #49838 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:09 AM

local met on fox 13 here in tampa says he expects a cat 2 or cat 3 for second land fall .. also said this storm has been very tricky .. also last night on abc action news thier mets had thier titan sytm predicting this sw movement .. strange stuff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Upper Winds [Re: Frank P]
      #49839 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:10 AM

Katrina came in around N Miami Beach and basically cut SW across all of Dade County - so whichever model predicted a southern curve was right, the storm did NOT take NHC projected "slow west" track thru Broward Co. Thus the forecast was accurate in the overall area of landfall and strenght at the time (good), but off considerably after that (bad). On a local level an error of entire county makes a big difference. Throughtout most of the day I'd would have bet the farm on WPB getting the worst and MIA getting the least, however in the end the opposite will be true.

At this rate of movement and direction she'll pop out down in Flamingo/Florida Bay instead of Naples - so I sure hope people in the Keys and SW FL are paying attention.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Discussion [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #49840 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:13 AM

Quote:

Looks to be following the first plot of the UKMET:

Yeah but its current position is south of even the GFDL. Yes totally agree UKMET the only model showing straight SW movement, but more like the NHC's 265/5 prediction -- doesn't it look more like it's been 225 deg (true SW) since landfall?

Edited by Margie (Fri Aug 26 2005 02:22 AM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Katrina Will Have Better Opportunity to Become Stronger? [Re: debwire]
      #49841 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:15 AM

center now due west of radar about 12.5nm

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Hurricane Katrina Landfalls near the Dade/Broward County Line [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #49842 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Miami International Airport reported a peak wind gust of 68kts-78mph at 8:55PM EDT. Highest gust found so far.

Brian Norcross reported two gusts of 95 mph on VIrginia Key. Unfortunately I do not have a site to back me up on that, but that's what he said on the air about two and a half hours ago.

Maximum Observed Wind Gusts:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST OFFICE IN WEST MIAMI RECORDED A WIND GUST TO 86 MPH AT 917 PM EDT.

FT LAUD INT 82 MPH at 753 PM EDT.

MIAMI-KENDALL-TAMIAMI EXE AIRPORT 81 MPH at 953 PM EDT

--------------------
RJB

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Upper Winds [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49843 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:15 AM

I see the model moving the US trough (currently over the plains) toward the SE and picking up Katrina. It will all depend whether or not that trough behaves as forecast. Still, a cat 2 and probably 3 storm is going to hit on the north Gulf coast somewhere between north FL and LA. Timing is everything.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Discussion [Re: Margie]
      #49844 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks to be following the first plot of the UKMET:

Yeah but its current position is south of even the GFDL.

I'm thinking the latest (18Z) GFDL seems to be pretty accurate to the path based on what I've seen.

BTW, stupid people alert: http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/homepage/hp8-25-05gg.jpg
The caption was: "Russell Crossey and his dog are soaked by large waves generated by Katrina in West Palm Beach. (AP)"

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: Upper Winds [Re: JMII]
      #49845 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:18 AM

I'm really quite surprised by how much of a sw component that Katrina has tonight...it's really quite substantial. I agree with the posts above as far as timeframe goes. If the current motion continues, Katrina will be back over water during the middle of the night. This contrasts to NHC's afternoon arrival of Katrina (in the Gulf).

You all know what would be wild? How about this...wake up in the morning, and Katrina is near the keys!

Not saying that will happen...

D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: Upper Winds [Re: Kevin]
      #49846 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:20 AM

question its in the everglades right now .. so it could stay kinda strong b/c of all the water down there in the swamps?

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Upper Winds [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #49847 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

question its in the everglades right now .. so it could stay kinda strong b/c of all the water down there in the swamps?

I think the conclusion we had an hour or two ago was: "There isn't enough experimental data to really know how the Everglades will effect the system."

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Upper Winds [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #49848 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:22 AM

Quote:

Yeah...I'd say that the moist and humid environment down there is probably helping to sustain Katrina.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Upper Winds [Re: MichaelA]
      #49849 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:22 AM

Will post more later tonight and again tomorrow afternoon on projected path. Katrina came inland with winds near 80mph with gusts near 100mph...there are some reports that it might of been closer to 85-90mph at landfall. Currently she is 80mph, but wouldnt be surprised if its down to 75mph at 11pm. Movement was wsw to sw over the last couple of hours. This is due to the unexpect trough over the NW Carribean being stronger then forecasted. I wouldnt be surprised if she slows to a crawl late tonight into tomorrow. She will probably be near Florida bay and Flamingo during the morning. After that we will see,,,,for now,, will wait for the 0z runs come out. Remember the models have been changing more then any storm this season. I do have a feeling when it does move N,, a turn to the NE like the dynamical models might happen instead of a bend. I will say no more till later.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Upper Winds [Re: scottsvb]
      #49852 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:27 AM

You want oz model runs here are a bunch.They all for the most part take it to the panhandle as it is getting to the coast faster then they thought it would.Heck by almost a day.

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early2.png

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Discussion [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49854 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:28 AM

That looks to be like Apalachicola Bay/St. Marks ? Also Tallahassee is pretty close to that area.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
      #49856 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:29 AM

Pretty much agree with your assesment Scott. I think that the wsw and sw motion tonight has thrown a bit of a curveball into the forecast. And if Katrina were to stall? Then all bets would really be off...

ChessieStorm
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Spring Hill, Fla. (Hernando C...
      #49857 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:29 AM

Could the High pressure over Arkansas be pushing the storm down? If you look on the Water Vapor Sat. of the eastern US, you can clearly see a high pressure spin and the clouds going around it and the storm reacting to being pushed.

This, coupled with the trough in the Caribbean is helping to push and pull the storm down. Of course, the big question is, will this trend continue or relax and allow Katrina to pull toward the west, then northwest.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Upper Winds [Re: Kevin]
      #49858 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:30 AM

I really don't want to see another Elena!

--------------------
Michael

PWS

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Upper Winds [Re: MichaelA]
      #49859 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:32 AM

how big can this storm get i mean if this thing keeps hanging around could this thing gather more and more power and be like a 300 or 400 mile storm?

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Upper Winds [Re: nl]
      #49860 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:34 AM

oh please dont say that and get people who dont have a clue about storms to think they even can get close to that.In fact if it hanged around to long it would cycle down after awhile like a top does when you spin it.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Upper Winds [Re: ChessieStorm]
      #49861 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:35 AM

base velocity 32nm.... bright colors are winds 71kts.... 151ft to 1300ft above ground

http://stormhunter7.tripod.com/bv32nm.png

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Aug 26 2005 02:36 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44295

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center