F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Convergence
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland
Re: sst's [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #55204 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:15 PM

SSTs are down a bit, but any effect Katrina had was removed in only a few days. Anyway, we probably won't see another superstorm, but I've certainly seen 4s in this kind of evironment.

Edited by Convergence (Mon Sep 19 2005 07:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55205 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:20 PM

it appears that Philippe is stalled out at the moment, and the shear may have weakened it to a TS by now; Rita is probably going to become a hurricane within 12 hours (which is why my hurricane total for this year is 9--it will probably be a hurricane before i am on the computer again)

GFDL takes Rita down to 921mb and up to 155mph in the Keys and landfalls it at Marsh Island, LA on Saturday as a 120mph hurricane at 962mb

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: sst's [Re: Convergence]
      #55206 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:21 PM

I wouldn't bet on that!!!!

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: sst's [Re: Convergence]
      #55207 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:22 PM

a 4 is a super storm to me. Katrina was only a 4 at landfall.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: sst's [Re: Robert]
      #55208 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:25 PM

I agree. The Gulf is like a melting pot for big storms to do what they want. Regardless what the SST's are right now, they are still very warm for a body of isolated water for any storm once it gets into the Gulf to strengthen rather rapidly. But in may be the Straits that do the trick this time. SST's warmer there than the Gulf.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: NewWatcher]
      #55209 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:32 PM

For NewWatcher - that is the noon recon at the end of the SE to NW pass (17:42Z = 12:42pm CDT).

I don't see this rapid intensification happening over the next 24 hrs that there have been several allusions to; don't see anything higher than a Cat 2, at most, by the time the storm goes over the Keys. Don't read too much into Joe B (i.e. Prophet of Doom), or just one model run. Neither pressure nor winds indicate anything more than a well-organized TS, although pressure diff is a healthy 6deg.

For Rick - SSTs are by definition only surface temperatures, not temperatures at depth.

For Convergence - actually the effects of Katrina on water temps down to 50m would have been significant and much longer-lasting than a couple of days.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Shawn M
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Margie]
      #55210 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:37 PM

They are going to start evacuations tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. on Galveston Island if Rita stays on its current track. I don't really think it will hit here. Unfortunately, I think it will be another LA landfall. I'm sorry to say that but I just feel that is what will happen. It will also put New Orleans on the "dirty" side,too. God Bless to all because this one will hit somewhere along the gulf coast.

TDW
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, AL
NHC Question [Re: Shawn M]
      #55211 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:41 PM

A question about those at the NHC that write the official discussion:

How much of the discuss is specific to the expert opinion of the forcaster and how much boilerplate? Do the "higher-ups" get involved with the discussion as the storms approach land or become more intense?

--------------------
"It's time to see the world
It's time to kiss a girl
It's time to cross the wild meridian"

Chevy

Reged:
Loc: Tyndall AFB, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Shawn M]
      #55212 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:42 PM

This is my first year with the whole hurricane thing. It has been a very interresting time. I am trying to learn and observe as many of these storms as possible so that i may learn when to be alerted in my area.
This site is wonderful! I am so glad to have found it.
Chevy

--------------------
My first hurricane season

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Chevy]
      #55214 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:49 PM

Here's hoping you keep your Hurricane Virginity this year, and if not I am hoping Mother Nature will be gentle with you.. LOL Glad you can join us..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Chevy

Reged:
Loc: Tyndall AFB, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #55215 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:52 PM

Hey there... we were evaced for Dennis.. so we only had the one this year, had friends that were stuck on base in Biloxi through Katrina.. they are ok though.. back in a safe place.

--------------------
My first hurricane season

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Warnings up for the Florida Keys [Re: MikeC]
      #55219 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:56 PM

Hey all, please use the Forecast lounge to discuss where you think landfall may occur, especially out beyond Florida.

Forecast lounge link

Discuss conditions in your area relative to Rita here

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Margie]
      #55222 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:04 PM

A bit too early to say for sure. Think we will have a better idea tomorrow at this time but either way.. Texas or La.. right now the problem is the Keys and South Florida. And, the Keys may have a very rough ride so.. first things first I think.

Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: LoisCane]
      #55223 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:13 PM

If you look at history you would see that a storm has never hit Texas that formed where Rita did. Is this anouther one for the record books ?

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200518_climo.gif

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: LoisCane]
      #55225 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:19 PM

You are right! Interestingly enough, the NHC is stating that Rita is moving 14 MPH in a WNW fashion and should continue to do so for the next 24 hrs, considering Rita is located 330 miles ESE of Miami I would be very concerned in So. Fl because my math has it continuing on to Miami in 24 hours. Just my humble opinion as to why So.Fl. should stay in tune withe latest developments.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Edited by rmbjoe1954 (Mon Sep 19 2005 08:21 PM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #55227 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:27 PM

Latest recon (about an hour old) shows Rita has not strengthened. Also sat imagry show less organization than from say 11am.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: HCW]
      #55228 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:30 PM

Climatology doesn't seem to be working well this year for the Gulf, but there have been a number of Altantic storms that have followed historical patterns of recurving.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Ed in Va]
      #55229 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:35 PM

in looking at then vis sat, IR, and WV, it looks like Rita is south of the NHC forcast point, and moving almost due west, even a bit wsw..it is hard to tell

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #55230 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:37 PM

Joe when they say its moving wnw at 14mph...that means thats what the last 3-6hours of motion has been, not what its going to happen before the next update. Currently and overall for the last 3 days its been moving just N of due west about .1N of every .5 w. Right now S florida should keep an eye on it but its mainly a Keys event. (hurricane force winds of course).

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, Fl
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: pcola]
      #55231 - Mon Sep 19 2005 08:44 PM

I definitley see that too pcola!! But if you watch the IR for a couple of hours in the loop mode you will notice the "center" is hopping around N S E W.
very interstressing! .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 62354

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center