F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: doug]
      #55131 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:09 PM

I find this to be quite interesting:

AccuWeather's hurricane expert Joe Bastardi says if Rita strikes Texas with Category 3 strength or higher the damage total could be as high as $10 to $15 Billion, a huge financial hit as the nation continues to recover from Hurricane Katrina. The price tag for Katrina's recovery efforts is expected to top $200 Billion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: doug]
      #55134 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:18 PM

Maybe a little off topic, but has meaning.

The 2005 hurricane season (June 1 through November 30) has been especially active to this point. If the trend were to continue, it would suggest that the Northeast is in store for a severe winter, as there appears to be a correlation between active Atlantic hurricane seasons and very cold winters in the region. There were 21 Atlantic tropical cyclones (which include both tropical storms and hurricanes) in 1933, 18 in 1969, and 19 in 1995; all three years were marked by harsh winter weather.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: The Force 2005]
      #55135 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:18 PM

I hope somebody has their thinking cap on along the central gulf coast. With nearly all the long range models shifting east of Houston for late in the forecast, I hope they are preparing to get people out of tents and trailers,...but then, where do they go?

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

stevie
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Clear Lake, Texas
      #55136 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:19 PM

Texas could be lucky and have Rita hit an area where only cows live, like Allen, Gilbert and Bret did in the 1980, 1988, and 1999. The King ranch might be a good place.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
      #55137 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:21 PM

I lived in NY for the blizzrd of 69, which as a 10 year old was tons of fun. In 1995 I was a home owner who never so the snow and rain stopp, it was one of the worst winters of my life though by tricpets got 2" bigger from shoveling

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
      #55138 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:22 PM

Rita is wrapping up quickly. If you didn't know better and had to choose which storm was a Hurricane and which was a tropical storm you'd say Rita over Phillipe. Phillipe looks more like a tropical wave right now. In my opionion 6 hour updates with a storm this close is dangerous. Anyone who reads these boards are weather hobbyists or actual professionals and understand what is happening. For the average person who is going about daily life they are thinking, "why am I going to leave for a tropical storm". They just tune in to the news here the latest coordinates and think, "ah this is nothing". A huge majority of these stations just read coordinates from the last advisory. So if someone tunes in at 4:45 and it's apparent a storm is intensifying and will be updated in 15 minutes, they are still going to get the 11am update and think everything is alright.

Anyway, recon should be reporting within the half hour. I'm still betting on a Hurricane with a Special Update.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: pcola]
      #55139 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:23 PM

This is a situation in which FEMA will be handed a double-edged sword. Would not want to be in their position right now. When do you call for immediate evacuations from the local officials, how long do you wait to actually do it. This is already compounding the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people already displaced, and you are right, what to do with them, and where to evacuate to. My god, how much more can the people of this region, and even those people in FLA can endure.
May god be with them all.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: bigpapi]
      #55140 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:24 PM

Next update expected at 2PM.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #55141 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:24 PM

Gotcha....Recon should be out there shortly, then we'll know for sure if ANYTHING has shifted north -- like the center --- and whether or not there is/is not an eye forming.

I cannot see any eye forming, either. Rita is in the process of strengthening and becoming a better organized storm . The bands have just begun wrapping around the CDO in the last few hours. Until she's finished her organization process, there will not be an eye. I am sure there WILL be an eye, but it ain't there yet and until we know it's there, then I agree with you and it shouldn't be posted on the board. There are so many people that come here and just read the posts and misinformation is not a good thing for them. There's already enough people skittish.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: bigpapi]
      #55142 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Rita is wrapping up quickly. If you didn't know better and had to choose which storm was a Hurricane and which was a tropical storm you'd say Rita over Phillipe. Phillipe looks more like a tropical wave right now. In my opionion 6 hour updates with a storm this close is dangerous. Anyone who reads these boards are weather hobbyists or actual professionals and understand what is happening. For the average person who is going about daily life they are thinking, "why am I going to leave for a tropical storm". They just tune in to the news here the latest coordinates and think, "ah this is nothing". A huge majority of these stations just read coordinates from the last advisory. So if someone tunes in at 4:45 and it's apparent a storm is intensifying and will be updated in 15 minutes, they are still going to get the 11am update and think everything is alright.

Anyway, recon should be reporting within the half hour. I'm still betting on a Hurricane with a Special Update.

*standing ovation* well said... I actually heard National Public Radio say we were under a Hurricane watch and this was at their 11:30 news break! I said .. wow.... i am glad I am more informed by coming to this website....

this is a quote from my office email: We are watching Tropical Storm Rita, and right now her impact on South Florida is unpredictable so therefore as long as the building remains open, we too shall remain open.

I just shook my head in amazement.

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #55143 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:30 PM

What I found a little ominus in his forcast is that the path could take out several of the refineries not damaged by Katrina. Not to mention an area that is sheltering many of the evacuees. My advise...fill up your car a couple days before landfall if it looks like the upper Texas coast is going to take a hit so you can weather the gasoline price shock that will hit soon after! Maybe its time to take a serious look at a hybrid car

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Colleen A.]
      #55144 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:31 PM

noaa 43 is out there.... AKA... "Miss Piggy" aircraft

URNT11 KWBC 191714
97779 17144 20219 74700 24300 22032 13081 /8009 42220
RMK NOAA3 0618A Rita OB 04 KWBC

not sure what kind of mission right now what N43RF is on... but i will find out....

AF recon will be out there soon...
opps! guess AF is already out there

URNT11 KNHC 191712
97779 17074 20243 77400 15200 05033 16139 /2515
RMK AF302 0518A Rita OB 05

i would expect 70-80mph winds in 2pm adv.

Edited by Storm Hunter (Mon Sep 19 2005 05:33 PM)

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Colleen A.]
      #55145 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:34 PM

I don't really see an eye forming. However it appears a huge CDO is forming. Right now there is little to no difference between visible and IR. I was almost thinking there was something wrong with the Visible pictures. Everything from the RAMSDIS sight, the floater and the regular Visible pictures look like the overnight pictures you get.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #55146 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:37 PM

oh yeah.... i guess i could post the link to the latest radar from the bahama's

Rita on radar

i just hope it doesn't crash there web sever!

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Mon Sep 19 2005 05:39 PM)

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #55147 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:41 PM

Communication is difficult for me when I am not at work, so I only briefly learned of this storm yesterday. I had a few minutes to look at sats and models and the thing that worries me most, is if Rita does track somewhat east of the current forecast, then NO will be on the east side of the storm. The small amount of rain we got this weekend (luckily, the first since Katrina) managed to allow water into my parent's house through the covered hole in the roof, and knocked electricity out for another 24-hours for some people in my area. I do think that letting people assess Katrina damage in NO is a good idea, as perhaps it can allow people to recover items that actually survived Katrina or prepare (as best they can) for the possibility of another storm. The main concern I have is that many people still in the area that were affected by Katrina have no idea that we are in the 'cone' for yet another storm. I spoke to a few friends and mentioned Rita, and because of power/cable outages and general communication problems, they knew nothing about it.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: trinibaje]
      #55148 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

*standing ovation* well said... I actually heard National Public Radio say we were under a Hurricane watch and this was at their 11:30 news break! I said .. wow.... i am glad I am more informed by coming to this website....

this is a quote from my office email: We are watching Tropical Storm Rita, and right now her impact on South Florida is unpredictable so therefore as long as the building remains open, we too shall remain open.

we are closing the miami lakes office at 3 and closed tomorrow. employers need to give people some time today to prpeare since it will be rolling in the middle of the night.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: trinibaje]
      #55149 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:45 PM

We have an office in Boca and went through those issues with Katrina. We told our tenants it's up to them to deicde if their office is open, not us. We wound up manually locking the doors at 5 as if the power went out our electronic locks wouldn't work and leave the building open.

Too many times people are looking to others to make their decisions. In my office I tell staff, if you need to leave then leave.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
I Wonder...... [Re: trinibaje]
      #55150 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:46 PM

If you are in area that is under a watch or warning (or both), if there is any type of law or special circumstance that would allow you to prepare your home no matter what the bosses say. I don't know of any, but you may be able to call your county EMA and ask them about this.
I wonder how many businesses in NO wishes they had closed two days earlier....I betcha if they had to do it all over again, they'd make a different decision.
If all else fails, you can just DO IT. I did during a snowstorm in Atlanta about 15 years ago. The snow began falling pretty heavily and I asked my boss if I could leave at noon since I didn't want to be stuck on the highway with people who don't get the concept of driving in the snow. He said no. It got worse as the morning progressed, and I asked him again and got the same reply. Told him I was going to leave at noon unless he wanted to pay any expenses I incurred in an accident. He told me he would fire me, I said "Go ahead, Frank. I don't care. You CANNOT forbid me from protecting myself in a dangerous situation and I highly doubt that a judge would agree with you if you fired me for this." He never did.
Of course, I realize this is not an easy step to take, but you are the only one looking out for you!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: jlauderdal]
      #55151 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:47 PM

we are closing the miami lakes office at 3 and closed tomorrow. employers need to give people some time today to prpeare since it will be rolling in the middle of the night.

some employers only see money, not the well being of their employees that help them make the money

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Marianne

Reged:
Loc: Hazel Green, AL
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: jlauderdal]
      #55152 - Mon Sep 19 2005 05:49 PM

FYI: South Florida's NBC6 is streaming live video coverage at http://www.nbc6.net/videostream/4639451/detail.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 62357

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center