F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
SEFL

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Colleen A.]
      #55176 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Mike...they have issued inland hurricane warnings for Miami and a couple of other cities.

SEFL: Please don't take my comments personally. I wasn't trying to say that ALL employers would fire people, but some will threaten. My husband's boss is one of them.

I didn't take it personally. Sometimes I think employees confuse the business policy with the personnel policy. That and the pressure the NHC is under about issuing hurricane warnings because of the impact on businesses.

Last year the employees to the south pick-up the slack. Looks like this year the shoe is on the other foot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: HCW]
      #55177 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:28 PM

HCW,

Not an expert, but given the upper air pattern and the deepening storm, you have to remember that these storms make their own winds to direct them as well. Depending on the strength, well you can draw your own conclusions. But looking at the models since conception, they have been trending right as the system progresses to the WNW. Does it mean a direct hit, absolutely not, but they are in the cone of uncertainity, and for that, it must be adhered to.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55179 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:31 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Terra]
      #55180 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If Nagin & Blanco had listened the first time, they wouldn't be in as bad a mess now.

Seems that Nagin is more interested in being on TV then his citizens.

Sorry, its not to topic but......

Fault Blanco all you want, but Nagin has busted his butt to do what he could to help... and he was rarely on TV, since he was in the city doing work. If you don't know what you're talking about... please don't post such things....

Mt thoughts exactly Tera. The mayor of N.O. went on that air to announce the evacuation order along with the GOV to say that this storm was going to have catastrophic effects. For all to leave at once. What more can he say to be more specific.

TDW
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, AL
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* *DELETED* [Re: Terra]
      #55181 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:36 PM

Graveyarded / offtopic

Edited by MikeC (Mon Sep 19 2005 06:44 PM)

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: TDW]
      #55182 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:38 PM

NO. any thoughts on the trough picking this up yet? thought i would get back on subject

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: TDW]
      #55184 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:38 PM

Max M. just said it will be a hurricane today.
Like we didnt already know that eh?

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: HCW]
      #55185 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:39 PM

From the NHC:

ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT Rita WILL BECOME A MAJOR
HURRICANE OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO... WHERE A LARGE UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONE IS FORECAST BY THE MODELS TO DOMINATE AND PROVIDE A WEAK SHEAR ENVIRONMENT.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: WeatherNut]
      #55187 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:41 PM

We have 16,000 evacuees here in Beaumont. Many are not planning to go back to New Orleans. Some will go back when they can. This area is very good about
preparing for a storm, however, even though we haven't been hit by a hurricane since 86 (several tropical storms but no hurricanes). But it sure would be nice to know what Rita's plans are down the road. Will have to just wait and see...

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: SEFL]
      #55190 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike...they have issued inland hurricane warnings for Miami and a couple of other cities.

SEFL: Please don't take my comments personally. I wasn't trying to say that ALL employers would fire people, but some will threaten. My husband's boss is one of them.

I didn't take it personally. Sometimes I think employees confuse the business policy with the personnel policy. That and the pressure the NHC is under about issuing hurricane warnings because of the impact on businesses.

Last year the employees to the south pick-up the slack. Looks like this year the shoe is on the other foot.

SEFL... i am i guess an employee in a larger firm, but i am not a lower level employee, i understand the pressure management can be under to make decisions, however today one of the senior guys said.. no one is getting another "free day off" after Katrina. To me, that is very hurtful, because after Katrina i was flooded in for 4 days with no food and power. As a woman who has travelled to some of the worlds most beautiful islands i hardly deem that as a free day off.

But Kudos to employers like you.

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: hurricane warning miami-dade [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #55194 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:47 PM

The warning has been posted:

Residents were ordered evacuated from the lower Florida Keys on Monday as strengthening Tropical Storm Rita headed toward the island chain, threatening to grow into a hurricane with a potential 8-foot storm surge. Although Rita's immediate threat was to Florida, rough projections of its track raised the possibility that the Louisiana coast could be targeted less than a month after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area.

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Hurricane Warnings up for the Florida Keys [Re: MikeC]
      #55195 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:47 PM

Right know central flordia look to be good with this storm but if that trough decide to turn it back torwards us than that a different ball game.

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: trinibaje]
      #55196 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SEFL... i am i guess an employee in a larger firm, but i am not a lower level employee, i understand the pressure management can be under to make decisions, however today one of the senior guys said.. no one is getting another "free day off" after Katrina. To me, that is very hurtful, because after Katrina i was flooded in for 4 days with no food and power. As a woman who has travelled to some of the worlds most beautiful islands i hardly deem that as a free day off.

But Kudos to employers like you.

I would be getting my resume out to as many people as possible to propsective employers if I knew that Senior management had an attitude like that. But I think that companies should be able to determine their policy on being open... so long as they're willing to accept the liability that goes with placing their employees in a potentially dangerous environment.

The biggest problem is, With rare exceptions (Katrina being the obvious one), Most of the places under a hurricane warning never see much effects of the storm. As such, until you actually get hit by one, you don't comprehend what you're dealing with. What makes it worse, if the person has a property that was away from the impacted areas, he or she will not understand why or how anyone could be so adversely impacted, and thus, think of it as 'free days off' Doesn't make it right, but it's the very personal nature of how we view disasters.

(I think I'm making sense, someone email me if I didn't

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: The Force 2005]
      #55197 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:51 PM

Is it me or is everything moving south again under Florida?

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55198 - Mon Sep 19 2005 06:56 PM

U mean the models or the storm itself. I think the storm is moving close to due west, it is just expanding, that is why it seems to be moving south.
The models?? dunno... havent noticed that.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: NewWatcher]
      #55199 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:04 PM

Sorry, I meant the models. I realize that these small fluctuations are normal, but it seems that they all moved. Again this is to my completely untrained eye.

I also noticed the wooble around one of the islands in the bahamasa on the 2PM. Looked like Dick Van Dyke going around the ottoman. (Everyone over 40 will know what I mean).

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Bahamian theory read view attachment [Re: MikeC]
      #55200 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:06 PM Attachment (166 downloads)

'I wanted to take this post to talk about something that has had me wondering for some time.
It’s about the Bahamian geography, as we all no the Bahamas consist of shallow banks of white sand
Held in by shallow barrier reefs most of the outer Bahamian islands are coral islands, and the inner
Islands well they are coral as well it seems sandier in my experience. The map below was a map of the
Bahamas I could not find a chart on the net so I colored water depths in my self.
The areas in white are less then 25 feet deep, and in most cases are less then 10 feet.
I used dark blue just as comparison because when swimming in the white you can swim straight off into
The blue, 25 feet to over 5’000 feet in less then ¼ of a mile. Essentially I think as most of the Bahamas as one big
Land Just a couple of feet under the water further there are banks that extend further se off the
Turks and caaicos islands that go all the way to the island of hati and are generally less then 100 feet
If you like surfing, the biggest wave in the world breaks in the Bahamas on any given Monday.
When on the island of Grand Turk in the Turk and Caicos Islands you can see Cuba and Haiti
Due to their mountain terrains
The Bahamian passage is in the northern Bahamas its deep water all the way 5’000 feet or more
And connects the Gulf Stream to the Atlantic, in large hurricanes that are heading towards the Bahamas such as
Floyd, Isabel, Andrew, swell will migrate through this channel towards parts of ft. Lauderdale for instance
During Isabel’s approach at the Bahamas Key West to ft. pierce is flat calm except for a 30 mile stretch in
From ft. Lauderdale to pompano beach it’s was 10 feet.

[I’ve always wondered what all this shallow water can do I think in the case of Frances, it aided in weakening
Him but in small storms that are moving faster such as Andrew or Jeanne it actually helped to strengthen storm.
Joe bastardi said last year during Frances that and in cases of Katrina with a smaller eye the storms feel their way
Through the island chain through the deep island passages.

Just thought id share some thoughts I had.
I may go deeper in to it later when things cool down in the tropics.

Edited by Robert (Mon Sep 19 2005 07:10 PM)

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
sst's [Re: NewWatcher]
      #55201 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:06 PM

still wnw....
storm ominous...
one important question.....are the SST's deep enough to warrant speculation of another Katrina type hurricane?....or did Katrina reduce the deep water temperatures enough to keep Rita at a cat 3?

it sure is hot and humid here...real hot and real humid...august like stuff

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: NewWatcher]
      #55202 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:07 PM

I think this is a fairly new model run:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_18.gif

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches/Warnings [Re: Lee-Delray]
      #55203 - Mon Sep 19 2005 07:08 PM

URNT12 KNHC 191753
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 19/17:42:50Z
B. 23 deg 03 min N
075 deg 50 min W
C. 850 mb 1385 m
D. 50 kt
E. 306 deg 025 nm
F. 041 deg 060 kt
G. 311 deg 052 nm
H. 994 mb
I. 14 C/ 1519 m
J. 22 C/ 1524 m
K. 15 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1 345/ 8
O. 0.03 / 5 nm
P. AF302 0518A Rita OB 06
MAX FL WIND 60 KT NW QUAD 17:26:40 Z

is this old?

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 62356

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center