F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: willw]
      #61118 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:35 AM

Quote:

oddly even though the computer models and the last track was above where it was before... they have it below look at where it crosses below lake o..... i don't get their forcasting i don't. heh everything is going north and they go south more? confusing

Looks like a "no change" forecast. It was just south of the Big O before. Might as well wait and see if there is continuing trend before changing the forecast. No warnings are up yet, so still have plenty of time.

--------------------
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: MichaelA]
      #61119 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:35 AM

Radar outage is over for now. With a 3 hour gap, I decided to momentarily let go of the 4 and 6 hour points. Note how close the last two points are? That's as far as she's moved in the last 3 hours. Definitely dragging her heels, this one. What's in the GOM that she's so scared of?

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: bobbutts]
      #61121 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:36 AM

I think...and anyone here with more info than I have can correct me..that the models have their information put in about 6 hours prior to their output, so the info may be old.
As far as the reintensification, that was forecasted tonight (at least by my local stations) at 6pm. They said it would "weaken significantly" after it's trek across the Yucatan but "reintensify" once it entered the GOM again. I don't really have a good explanation for that reasoning, though. They didn't really explain "why", if you know what I mean.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: tpratch]
      #61124 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:39 AM

Much as being slow is bad for the Yucatan - it is OK by me here in FL - I hope she emerges in the Gulf in a much weakened state

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61127 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:42 AM

Data input for the various model runs varies some -- In general if the Model is run every 6 hours the oldest data input can be is 6 hours (just after the last run) but it can be very recent -- With modern supercomputers the runs don't actually take long to produce

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61128 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:43 AM

There will be a window of opportunity for Wilma to reintenisfy over the Gulf IF its inner core is still relatively intact after possibly being over land for awhile. If the inner core is too disrupted then that won't happen. Whatever it reintensifies to in the Gulf, it will likely weaken a little again from that as it approaches Florida, because of an increasingly unfavorable upper-level environment, though the GFDL suggests otherwise. Because of an increase in forward speed, the max winds may tend to increase on the southern side of the system as it approaches Florida, while decreasing on the northern side.

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61129 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:45 AM

Any ideas as to why Pensacola's chance of having this hurricane jumped from a five to a ten percent chance? I mean -- no way, right?

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

Edited by susieq (Sat Oct 22 2005 02:46 AM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: susieq]
      #61131 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:46 AM

because the time horizon is now smaller. all the percentages went up.

plus it is the chance of the "CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES"
not a direct hit.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #61133 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:52 AM

Using the Radar image above..thanks, Tpratch.

From present position to the GOM Beach, following the Purple Line. 65nm or 12-13 hours at 5 kts.

Using the last two Points, to the GOM Beach.
55nm or 11 hours at 5 kts.

Noon Tomorrow at the current track and speed. Before Wilma's Center is over the GOM. Give or take an hour and a few miles.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
      #61134 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:53 AM

Most models trending North...Any comments?
http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: danielw]
      #61135 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:54 AM

Grrr...

As soon as I posted that, a new radar image popped up. Her eye is oblong and she wobbled... WWSW... *sigh*

I'll scrap all but the 1hour trend until tomorrow morning and I might just be heading to bed.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: danielw]
      #61136 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:54 AM

Quote:

Using the Radar image above..thanks, Tpratch.

From present position to the GOM Beach, following the Purple Line. 65nm or 12-13 hours at 5 kts.

Using the last two Points, to the GOM Beach.
55nm or 11 hours at 5 kts.

Noon Tomorrow at the current track and speed. Before Wilma's Center is over the GOM. Give or take an hour and a few miles.

Only problem is present movement toward the north-northwest or 330 degrees at 3 kt

Its not going that fast

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: sara33]
      #61138 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:56 AM

The models that show the further north solution on that map are generally not reliable and not used for track guidance by NHC. The two models on that map that are cited by NHC in their discussions are the GFDL and the UKMET.

willw
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #61139 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

Most models trending North...Any comments?
http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_24.gif

Will take 2-3 more computer runs before NHC would ever change the track. they are dead set on southern florida. I don't buy it to be honest.. Usually wherever they predict first is where it doesn't go. We'll see what happens though.

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #61140 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:56 AM

What thay say on WC, after turn on the way to FLA, will be much faster moving storm, probably 25-30 mph over FLA, maybe more .. what will give us about 6 hours of strong wind ....

willw
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61141 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

The models that show the further north solution on that map are generally not reliable and not used for track guidance by NHC. The two models on that map that are cited by NHC in their discussions are the GFDL and the UKMET.

gfdl is trending north now.

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
      #61142 - Sat Oct 22 2005 02:58 AM

But they (GFDL)are trending North of earlier tracks... Not "wishcasting" just noticing

willw
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #61143 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:01 AM

Quote:

But they (GFDL)are trending North of earlier tracks... Not "wishcasting" just noticing

i agree.. But really nobody knows, i don't think anything is definite on florida landfall.. still could be tampa or could be naples. there has been nothing shown yet on why it wouldn't go north or south... imo it's just relative to how far it goes north before the front influences it...

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #61144 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:01 AM

NHC forecast is still for landfall near Marco Island......no change.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #61145 - Sat Oct 22 2005 03:02 AM

Until this thing gets off of the Yucatan, there are probably going to be some fluctuations in the model tracks. Looks like Wilma is finally making its painfully slow move inland.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center