F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: LoisCane]
      #77157 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:20 PM

Lois,

I respect your opinion, however must differ wholehardedly regarding your take on the Canadian Model. Polar opposite from the 'ol NOGAPS ( sadly neutered for several years now ), CMC strikes me as a tropical cyclone model on "crack" ( no offense to our Hudson Bay neighbors to the north ). To be fair, often times an Atlantic system WILL form and in fact picked up by the CMC model. That said, quite common an occurance would be the other 79 tropical systems forecasted to form by CMC simply only to end up as "ghost cyclones". For whatever the reason, I have found early season and end of season formation picked up with somewhat better accuracy by CMC.

In object fairness, I must admit that CMC has for several runs now been forecasting "the son of Dean" to form east of Florida, and then to slam into Central ( and now Southern Fla ). Up to today, there has been only slight hints of agreement from some of the other models, yet today a greater admission by some other models of at least a significant inverted trough approaching from the SE. Of course on satellite, one cannot deny that what appears to be 14 3/4 vorticity points all contained in one massive high amplitude wave, is in fact approaching 60W with some serious 29C octane fuel dead ahead. Even the European is "hinting" at something around days 6-10 near Fla.

As a fellow "model monger", I too check the CMC each run. I am looking for consistancy of runs, followed by some consensus by the other models, especially the UK and/or European. GFS has started to drop what it was detecting as a developing system east of Trinidad ( and there is a legitimate vort. here too ). Given the outflow shear from Dean, it would appear reasonable that something "could" form in the more convective area farther to the north where CMC is forecasting. Guess a few days to come will prove whether or not this "outlier" model was on to something or not. My guess would be to lean conservatively towards a strong wave to approach Florida in the 4-7 days to come, perhaps with some weak 1010mb spin-up towards the end of the cycle. Now that i've erred on the side of "blah", watch the 0Z runs tonight have four major models bringing the "son of Dean" upon Florida's doorstep!

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: cieldumort]
      #77158 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:26 PM

Radar is notoriously unreliable in terms of detecting motion of hurrixcanes, but having said that, it does appear that Dean's eye is paralleling the southern coast of Jamaica, moving a bit north of west.

Maybe it's just me, but the ULL appears to have slowed down, too.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: weathernet]
      #77159 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Lois,

I respect your opinion, however must differ wholehardedly regarding your take on the Canadian Model. Polar opposite from the 'ol NOGAPS ( sadly neutered for several years now ), CMC strikes me as a tropical cyclone model on "crack" ( no offense to our Hudson Bay neighbors to the north ). To be fair, often times an Atlantic system WILL form and in fact picked up by the CMC model. That said, quite common an occurance would be the other 79 tropical systems forecasted to form by CMC simply only to end up as "ghost cyclones". For whatever the reason, I have found early season and end of season formation picked up with somewhat better accuracy by CMC.

In object fairness, I must admit that CMC has for several runs now been forecasting "the son of Dean" to form east of Florida, and then to slam into Central ( and now Southern Fla ). Up to today, there has been only slight hints of agreement from some of the other models, yet today a greater admission by some other models of at least a significant inverted trough approaching from the SE. Of course on satellite, one cannot deny that what appears to be 14 3/4 vorticity points all contained in one massive high amplitude wave, is in fact approaching 60W with some serious 29C octane fuel dead ahead. Even the European is "hinting" at something around days 6-10 near Fla.

As a fellow "model monger", I too check the CMC each run. I am looking for consistancy of runs, followed by some consensus by the other models, especially the UK and/or European. GFS has started to drop what it was detecting as a developing system east of Trinidad ( and there is a legitimate vort. here too ). Given the outflow shear from Dean, it would appear reasonable that something "could" form in the more convective area farther to the north where CMC is forecasting. Guess a few days to come will prove whether or not this "outlier" model was on to something or not. My guess would be to lean conservatively towards a strong wave to approach Florida in the 4-7 days to come, perhaps with some weak 1010mb spin-up towards the end of the cycle. Now that i've erred on the side of "blah", watch the 0Z runs tonight have four major models bringing the "son of Dean" upon Florida's doorstep!

Andy

Here in Miami, the winds have been strong today. We have also had a greater increase of cooler weather. My question is, is this a part of Dean? I would doubt that, however the radar here does show some sort of storm that is forming and is going to hit us in 4-7 days. Would you mind if you could tell me a bit more about this "storm" that you can see on the radar or CMC? What do you see happening? We do have some strange weather here going on right now.

Another Question, when I am looking at the radar here, what is that wierd blue thing that extends from Miami to Ft Lauderdale Area and goes off to sea?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=amx&product=NCR&loop=yes

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

Edited by StrmTrckrMiami (Sun Aug 19 2007 11:35 PM)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: SWFL
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #77160 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Another Question, when I am looking at the radar here, what is that wierd blue thing that extends from Miami to Ft Lauderdale Area and goes off to sea?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?rid=amx&product=NCR&loop=yes

Looks like a radar blip to me. I've seen it before but don't know exactly what it's called or what exactly causes it. I know here on the west coast, "chaff" from military planes running exercises can interfere with radar (Robert Winkler on 2 has talked about it before, he's former military), but that's a different signature.

It's not anything to worry about, in other words.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: madmumbler]
      #77161 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:46 PM

Thank you.

What is the storm that everyone here is calling "little dean" that is going to hit us in 4-7 days? Do you know anything of this? Is there radar on this?

--------------------

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #77162 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:51 PM

April,

Well, I too am in S. Florida ( Broward Co. ). You are right in that the winds have certainly picked up quite a bit. In this case however, these winds are neither directly from Hurricane Dean, nor any "yet to verify storm". These winds, while not of Dean's circulation, certainly are being caused in part due to the tightening pressure gradient from higher surface pressures to our north, and Dean's lower pressure to the south. The combination of such a very fluid weather dynamic is simply a "squeeze play". Windy in part due to Dean, just not directly from Dean.

As for the blue line on radar, I did see that as well. This is a false return, and appears to merely be what I have always called a "radar sweep signal". These fast moving showers coming over Florida are ver shallow, most with tops under 15,000 feet. In order for local radar to pick up on these showers, the radar itself must be tilted much more towards the horizon. This would serve less a tool to measure the high tops of an afternoon Everglades severe storm with tops of around 50,000-60,000 feet. Doplar can better determine how severe a storm may be along with different level vorticities. When the radar is tilted as such, it then misses what might be many very shallow rain-showers such as what we are experiencing now.

I do not see any real evidence of any other storm forming at this time. Radar may only detect this if showing cyclonic turning ( which it is not ), and so far no other forming tropical cyclones in our neck of the world. Things could certainly change with time......

Andy

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #77163 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:52 PM

It has not formed yet. There is discussion in the NHC Tropical Weather Outlook, but the conditions are not yet favorable.

qtpa2ts

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: madmumbler]
      #77164 - Sun Aug 19 2007 11:56 PM

I have a few questions for whomever wishes to answer.

I live in Corpus Christi, Texas. Our pressure has been dropping. Is that signifigant to anything?

What are these other models on the link below that are shooting Dean up north?

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurrica...&stormNum=3

The thing off to the ESE of Florida.. What is that and how would it effect Dean if at all? And also on this radar below.. If Erin is joining that ULL (or whatever it is doing on this radar,) what does that mean for the ULL and Dean?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/nwatl/loop-wv.html

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post these questions on. If it is please let me know the right direction to go and except my apology.

Thank you.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: Random Chaos]
      #77165 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:00 AM

Weathernet, thank you for your input. I shall keep in touch with you regarding this "storm" that we seem to have going over our heads right now, and the one to form.

RandomChaos, where can I find this discussion that the NHC has? Do you have a possible link?

Thanks

--------------------

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
      #77166 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:03 AM

On the NHC, click the "Tropical Weather Outlook" link just above the active storms section.

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: qtpa2ts]
      #77167 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:05 AM

Wthout knowing the author of the models pulling Dean North, you need to determine if they are statistical or numerical. Statistical models show you where Dean could go, on average, compared to other storms in the same vicinity as Dean historically. While numerical models use dynamic real time data I.E. GFDL,NOGAPS, UKMET and the 'tropical suite' amongst others

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Edited by craigm (Mon Aug 20 2007 12:11 AM)

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #77168 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

On the NHC, click the "Tropical Weather Outlook" link just above the active storms section.

Could you please provide a link to this storm. I can not seem to find it on the NHC website. Thank you

--------------------

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: qtpa2ts]
      #77169 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:17 AM

QT,

Took a look at the link you asked about showing potential future tracks for Dean. This link is to Accu-Weather, and while these tracks may contain more and less accurate tools to forecast, there is little detail here to differentiate, thus means nothing. Here is one link from FSU. Click on the link and then hit the "forward" button to start the loop. The FSU superensemble is a fairly new model and often fairly accurate. Others I would consider would include GFS, GFDL, UK, and EURO. Here is the link: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/mm5/slp.html

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: craigm]
      #77170 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:17 AM

Whoa. Weather Underground is reporting 173mph winds in Kingston, Jamaica.

http://english.wunderground.com/global/stations/78397.html

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Weird Blue thing [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #77171 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:18 AM

The weird blue thing is associated with sunrise and sunset. Apparently the solar radiation bounces the radar signal back at a frequency similar to light rain.

You should see the same blue line on nearly every radr as the sun rises or sets in that particular area.

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Laredo, Texas
      #77172 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Could you please provide a link to this storm. I can not seem to find it on the NHC website. Thank you

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

...or just click the link on the left-hand side of the page.

Regarding Dean, in case it hasn't been mentioned already, Brownsville, TX has a voluntary evacuation order in place: Brownsville Herald

Also, if you're so inclined, you can review the Texas Department of Emergency Management current situational report here: ftp://ftp.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/sitrep/Hurricane%20Dean%20SITREP%207%20081907.pdf

Texas is taking no chances....

--------------------
Allison

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Weird Blue thing [Re: danielw]
      #77173 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:23 AM

hmmm... just read the 5:30 TWO
I posted earlier that closest sat pic i had of the low to the SE of Barbados.... But i am a little confused in the wording of the text... This low seems to be what some models are showing to swing through the NE part of the islands into the atlantic... and the CMC blows it up too a system off of Florida... which i not quite sure about that yet... will have to see what the 00Z runs bring.

"THE SMALL AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED 300 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF
BARBADOS IS EMBEDDED WITHIN A BROAD SURFACE TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE
ASSOCIATED WITH A TROPICAL WAVE. SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT OF THE
LOW NEAR BARBADOS APPEARS UNLIKELY. SHOWER ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED
WITH THE WAVE HAS INCREASED SLIGHTLY TODAY...HOWEVER...A FEW
HUNDRED MILES NORTHEAST OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...
AND SLOW
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

Does anyone understand what that line means?

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #77174 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:29 AM

Quote:

Whoa. Weather Underground is reporting 173mph winds in Kingston, Jamaica.

http://english.wunderground.com/global/stations/78397.html

I checked that observation against the ADDS. The 173mph is estimated... as most , if not all wind sensors fail before 150mph. One of the possible exceptions being a hot wire anemometer.

Place MKJP in the blank and click the translated version.
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/

MKJP 200000Z E11099OO150KT 0KM BKN008 SCT010CB OVC080 25/24 Q1001

SACA31 KWBC 192100 RRA
MTRKJP
METAR MKJP 192100Z 14070KT 1000 BKN010 SCT016 OVC080 XX/XX Q0992

SACA31 KWBC 192000 RRD
MTRKJP
METAR MKJP 192000Z 09013KT 6000 BKN018 SCT020CB OVC100 27/21 Q0995

The bold E is the eastimated observation.

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Weird Blue thing [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #77175 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:30 AM

I interpret that to mean that the showers are several hundred miles to the North of the low which is SE of Barbados.

Bill

qtpa2ts

Reged:
Re: Dean Approaches Jamaica [Re: weathernet]
      #77176 - Mon Aug 20 2007 12:31 AM

Post deleted.

Use your PM feature for questions such as this.

Edited by Storm Cooper (Mon Aug 20 2007 12:35 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39153

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center