F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Will the Trough Spin?
      #949 - Wed Jul 03 2002 02:43 PM

It's July. We went through June without any named storms, or depressions to track. I don't think we'll make it through July without at least one. And our first candidate is up for bat:

On my development scale, where is it now?

code:

forget it) 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (sure thing)
[-----*----------------]

This system has the potential to develop, so we are watching it. I wouldn't expect it to do too much however. And it would be slow development... very slow. It first must become a definite low before I can consider it more.

Enjoy Independence Day everyone!

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Triopical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Even more on the links page.

- [mac]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Will the Trough Spin?
      #950 - Wed Jul 03 2002 02:55 PM

I just want to be the first to wish everyone a safe and happy Fourth of July!!! Maybe when we come back from the holliday we will have something to look at.

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

nope
      #951 - Thu Jul 04 2002 04:49 AM

two nights of the same thing.. nothing is going on off the southeast coast. only interesting thing my model glance showed was an ECMWF gulf low pressure that moves into the western gulf by early next week. ECMWF phantoms i consider more possible than mrf ones, but still not worthy of much interest. have to see if it keeps showing up though (like our current no-show did) in future runs.
i looked back on the poll about activity in the rest of the early season.. more conservative than i expected. i remember lots of spring forecasts calling for 15, 16, 17 storms this season.. june must have been a reality check.
anyhow, next poll:

which month of the 2002 season will be the most active?
june(ha)
july
august(my bet)
september
october
november
fin.
HanKFranK 3.07 lexington, sc 0437z04july
let freedom ring.

Votes accepted from (Sat Apr 27 2024 03:58 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
September
      #952 - Thu Jul 04 2002 01:28 PM

Hey HF , Redo your poll,........ I voted september.

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Steve 777
Unregistered

#953 - Thu Jul 04 2002 02:30 PM

I too voted september...voted high on storms also..still have time...they will be lined up come sept. Happy 4th all!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: nope
      #954 - Thu Jul 04 2002 03:23 PM

GOOD POLL BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE A SUBMIT

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: nope
      #955 - Thu Jul 04 2002 11:52 PM

I don't think you can really judge a tropical season based on what happens, or for that matter, does not happen, in June or July... Mid August to mid September is peak of season... We may see something develop later in July, but I give it 50-50 at best... When August rolls around, especially mid Aug, then things should start getting a lot more active... especially the start of the Cape Verdi storms

If we get though Aug and early Sept with no activity then something is not right for sure and this tropical system will be a wash... But I don't see that happening. I predicted 12 named storms back in May and I am sticking to that prediction.... I except at least three to four named storms by the end of August. Four to five named storms in Sept, three to four storms in October and possibly one in November.... for a total of twelve... I can't see anymore than that, and if anything maybe one or two less.... but for the record I'm sticking with 12.... I'll save the crow for thanksgiving if need be..

Smoked Turkey, Chicken, Crow... can't tell em apart... hehe

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

uhh.. yep?
      #956 - Fri Jul 05 2002 04:04 AM

i think whatever is off the east coast is teasing me.. notice there's now a discrete, small, turning convective mass moving east just to the north of bermuda. well, theres the much anticipated low, and to its northeast is another cutaway system with a surprising amount of convection given its latitude. the NHC isnt too interested in classifying systems up there ive noticed, so unless one of these makes a quantum leap, doubtful that anything comes from them.
the possible future area of interest that i noticed last night.. bastardi mentioned today.. basically we've just got to wait for this trough to start backing and see if a gulf system tries to blow up. with all that rain in south and central texas, and the vigor of the convection, i can see a repeat system causing trouble if it does much over the gulf. the timeframe to be watching is early next week.. possibly into midweek.
lots of july to go through, and most of us expect something to happen.
the poll.. yeah, blame it on me being a distracted zombie.

the all important pollstop, and voila.
neat features cornelius bros., thanks again for hosting this site. kind regards and such.
HanKFranK 3.07 aiken, SC 0343z05july

Anonymous
Unregistered

#957 - Fri Jul 05 2002 03:26 PM

Well well, two spins off the east coast---both getting sweared, with exposed circulations---one pretty close to the Carolina's--welll....

and look in the Gulf s of the Panhandle...

cooking is beginning....

IHS,

Bill

Anonymous
Unregistered

#958 - Fri Jul 05 2002 03:27 PM

Sheared that is---not sweared! LOL! Maybe sweared at!

IHS,

Bill

Anonymous
Unregistered

#959 - Fri Jul 05 2002 03:31 PM

And....I remember several memorable and more active seasons that started with or featured a north (NORTH!) Atlantic storm in July...stay tuned...

WHXX01 KWBC 051300
CHGHUR

DISCLAIMER...NUMERICAL MODELS ARE SUBJECT TO LARGE ERRORS.
PLEASE REFER TO TPC/NHC OFFICIAL FORECASTS FOR TROPICAL CYCLONES.

.....THE FOLLOWING IS A TEST MESSAGE.....

TROPICAL DEPRESSION INVEST (AL932002) ON 20020705 1200 UTC

...00 HRS... ...12 HRS... ...24 HRS...
020705 1200 020706 0000 020706 1200

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 35.7N 62.4W 36.7N 60.8W 38.6N 58.6W
BAMM 35.7N 62.4W 36.8N 60.7W 39.1N 58.3W
A98E 35.7N 62.4W 36.3N 60.9W 38.2N 58.6W
LBAR 35.7N 62.4W 36.9N 60.5W 39.7N 58.2W
SHIP 25KTS 30KTS 35KTS
DSHP 25KTS 30KTS 35KTS

...36 HRS... ...48 HRS... ...72 HRS...
020707 0000 020707 1200 020708 1200

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 41.5N 56.6W 44.7N 54.5W 49.5N 46.8W
BAMM 42.5N 55.9W 45.9N 53.0W 48.0N 42.9W
A98E 40.4N 56.4W 44.4N 54.3W 55.2N 47.7W
LBAR 43.4N 55.3W 47.1N 51.8W 46.4N 38.0W
SHIP 36KTS 37KTS 34KTS
DSHP 36KTS 37KTS 34KTS

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...
LATCUR = 35.7N LONCUR = 62.4W DIRCUR = 75DEG SPDCUR = 7KT
LATM12 = 35.4N LONM12 = 64.1W DIRM12 = 66DEG SPDM12 = 10KT
LATM24 = 35.1N LONM24 = 65.8W
WNDCUR = 25KT RMAXWD = 20NM WNDM12 = 20KT
CENPRS = 1009MB OUTPRS = 1012MB OUTRAD = 150NM SDEPTH = D
RD34NE = 0NM RD34SE = 0NM RD34SW = 0NM RD34NW = 0NM

.....THE ABOVE HAS BEEN A TEST MESSAGE.....

IHS,

Bill

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
First Atlantic System of the Season?
      #960 - Fri Jul 05 2002 03:50 PM

Well it seems like things are finally kicking off! The system to the NNE of Bermuda has become increasingly better organised on satellite imagery today, and i think it may be declared our first Tropical Cyclone of the season at some point today. Possibly by the 5.30pm TWO. The convection has consolidated over the apparent LLCC, with low level clouds evident to the northeast and the deepest convective activity located in the remaining 3 quadrants. I think it is too early to predict just what might happen to this system, but judging from the appearance on imagery already, i would guess it will be a strong TD, and may reach a weak TS within 24 to 36 hours. Maximum winds (now i amgoing out on a limb!) will not exceed 45 mph with this system before it weakens or gets absorbed.

As for the area to the SE of the NC coast, well it is poorly organised and i dont see much happening with it.

Another area of interest is that which has developed to the south of the Florida Panhandle. Poorly organised at the moment, but worth watching.

Well i will no doubt be posting again soon as this Bermuda System develops!

Rich B

StormWarn2000 IWN

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

93L (90L?)
      #961 - Fri Jul 05 2002 05:26 PM

for some reason NRL has two tracks for the same system. there have been two Dvorak satelite intensity estimates on it, at 0545z this morning it got 'too weak', then at 1145z it came up at 1.0. mentally organized person that i am, ive already forgotten where to find the intensity data for a 1.0, but it's weak depression if i'm not mistaken. anyhow this system is already north of bermuda, and supposed to fuse into the larger low over the canadian maritimes. the NHC is at least mentioning it in TWOs but i can remember a similar system in august 2000 that they never bothered to classify, despite a gale force ship report. so this may end up being arthur, and it may not.
other items of interest.. TPC has two other systems mentioned in the TWO.. one is even further northeast than 93L(?) but still throwing convection and pretty well organized, but almost surely not tropical in nature. it will soon become one with the low over the maritimes. the other system is a low tagged at 1014mb in the convection off the outer banks. models have it moving nne toward the same low poised to eat the previously mentioned systems.. TPC is following the avn forecast for it. right now it is poorly organized, but as with the other two, there is plenty of baroclinic kick and warm water underneath.. so it may become a short lived tropical system that harries off the coast over the weekend.
one last item of mention.. the next upper system retrograding into the gulf is forecast with a surface trough. there is consistent model support for this feature, but no model is doing much with it. bastardi mentioned this again and went on to say that the upper system will vent a future eastpac system well to the south. so, expecting a cristina on the pacific side, and probably nothing here in the atlantic, except whatever may flare off the northeast coast as it jets out.
one other mention, bastardi talked about the cooling off the south american coast. el nino is partway there but struggling.
done for now, i submit another poll:

will check back later.
HanKFranK 3.07 aiken, SC 1713z05july

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 93L (90L?)
      #962 - Fri Jul 05 2002 05:54 PM

HankFrank,
this system would be classified as 93L as 90L to 92L have already occured this season...
latest satelite imagery also shows the LLCC partly exposed to the northeast of the main convection, but the system still looks pretty good. Expect NHC to put out either a Tropical Disturbance Statement, or classify this thing soon!

Rich B

StormWarn2000 IWN

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Anonymous
Unregistered

The first tropical storm?
      #963 - Fri Jul 05 2002 06:54 PM

So looking at this this looks tropial and has been named 93l an NHC dos;nt care.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3378

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center